Human remains - but no skull - found scattered in Si Racha woods

webfact

Human remains - but no skull - found scattered in Si Racha woods

6pm1.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

An electrician running a cable through woods found human remains and contacted the police and rescue services yesterday. 

At Soi Thong Phaphoom, Moo 9, Bang Phra, Si Racha police found the remains scattered over the area. 

The skull was missing, believed carried off by a dog. 

Also at the scene was clothing including some blue trousers.

There was also a quantity of nylon rope. 

The area was sealed off as forensics officers gathered evidence. 

The victim is believed to be male and the remains were reckoned to have been there for about three to four months. 

An autopsy is underway and missing person records are being checked. 

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-05-06

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

How on earth would they know it was carried off by a dog!

Surely a limb bone would be more likely.

I would guess that this probably was a suicide by hanging (as they noted finding some nylon rope in the area).

At the risk of sounding grotesque, if someone were to hang themselves and the body hung there for a period of time, eventually the weight of the body would cause it to separate from the head, which would then fall separately from the body.
The body itself would mostly (sort of) stay together, even though the "innards" would have been in an advanced state of decomposition. The head would have most likely landed away from the body and could have been easily carried away by a dog or something else. Even though by then it would have been very "ripe".
(The ants would have done a number on the corpse even before it fell as well.)

If there were wild dogs in the area, I'd suspect that they may have spent some time working on the lower extremities before the body fell, but they'd have to do a proper autopsy to determine that.

Consider this. Back in the days of "Merry Olde Englande" (and other places actually it seems) - people used to kill and hang fowl (ducks/geese/etc) by their necks. When the body of the bird detached from the neck, it was considered "ripe" for cooking !

(A process which apparently could take weeks depending on the weather. It seems even today it is suggested to leave them hanging for at least 6 days. From what I've read, it is thought that "today's palate" couldn't handle the "flavour" of a bird that had been left to hang until it fell from it's neck.)

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

I would guess that this probably was a suicide by hanging (as they noted finding some nylon rope in the area).

At the risk of sounding grotesque, if someone were to hang themselves and the body hung there for a period of time, eventually the weight of the body would cause it to separate from the head, which would then fall separately from the body.
The body itself would mostly (sort of) stay together, even though the "innards" would have been in an advanced state of decomposition. The head would have most likely landed away from the body and could have been easily carried away by a dog or something else. Even though by then it would have been very "ripe".

If there were wild dogs in the area, I'd suspect that they may have spent some time working on the lower extremities before the body fell, but they'd have to do a proper autopsy to determine that.

Consider this. Back in the days of "Merry Olde Englande" (and other places actually it seems) - people used to kill and hang fowl (ducks/geese/etc) by their necks. When the body of the bird detached from the neck, it was considered "ripe" for cooking !

(A process which apparently could take weeks depending on the weather. It seems even today it is suggested to leave them hanging for at least 6 days. From what I've read, it is thought that "today's palate" couldn't handle the "flavour" of a bird that had been left to hang until it fell from it's neck.)

Ah so, it was a Duck they found .!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

No it would n't.

51 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

No it would n't.

Go on. Explain. 
Oh right, you're just trolling my posts now. Snookums having a wittle temper tantrum is he ? Got to read all my posts and make dumb comments to make yourself feel better ? 

"They hanged themselves in a deep forest area in Chintala Madiwala. Since no one noticed them hanging from the tree for a few days, the bodies began to decompose and Mohan’s head separated and fell off, and was found a short distance away from the body. However, Srilakshmi’s head was still hanging from the tree while her body was fallen off. "

https://www.newindianexpress.com/cities/bengaluru/2019/nov/30/decomposed-bodies-of-kerala-lovers-found-hanging-near-bengaluru-forest-2069292.html

"The body of a 15-years-old male was found in a forest, in the Centre of Italy, in a suburban area of Florence (Tuscany) at the beginning of October. The man was last seen alive at the end of August, 34 days before his body discovery. The body, fully clothed, was found lying on his left side in a wooded shady area (Figure 1(B)). A noose with short, curling black hairs still attached, suggesting the body may have fallen to the ground during decomposition, was present on the tree above the body. Clothes were covered by pupae and empty puparia of Diptera. The head was disarticulated and partially skeletonized and was found approximately 2 m far from the body."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6197082/

I also read a good bit of a dissertation from a Ph.D student regarding decomposition in hanging pigs  (it was about using insects to determine the stages of decomposition in cadavers).
(Which wasn't very useful actually.)

Started reading a couple more studies only to find they were just reposts of the ones I'd already looked at. Looking at some more articles regarding decomposition now.

Another article by an Anthropology Ph.D titled "Qualifying and Quantifying the Rate of Decomposition in the Delaware River Valley Region" notes that in first stage of skeletonization (which happens after the last stage of decomposition" is marked by the disarticulation of the skull from the trunk.

(Gee, I wonder if that could happen to someone hanging from a rope.)

(You don't need to read all 550 pages of the Dissertation if you don't want to. https://repository.upenn.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3110&context=edissertations)

It seems they are all wrong though ! 

3 hours ago, Kerryd said:

That would depend on the length of the rope.

Maybe it was a short piece of rope, possibly used to tie up hands.  

The article says:

3 hours ago, webfact said:

There was also a quantity of nylon rope. 

4 minutes ago, Leaver said:

That would depend on the length of the rope.

Maybe it was a short piece of rope, possibly used to tie up hands.  

The article says:

Totally possible. I looked at the photos in the original article and didn't see any pics of the rope they mentioned. (Just looked again and I couldn't see anything.)

And looking at those pics, the first thing that crossed my mind was that it didn't look like they weren't going to do a very thorough investigation. It looks like they just basically picked up what bones they could find and put them what I think is one of those bags they normally use to cover up bodies.

Hard to say and of course, there probably won't be a follow up story on the matter. Or a detailed forensic examination. I wonder if they'll even try to ID the body (though a DNA test might not help in any event).

When I was in Croatia in '92/'93, all of our vehicles had to carry body bags as we were encountering a lot of them (bodies) at the time. The result of ongoing ethnic cleansing mostly. Usually they weren't dead for long though. And weren't suicides. There were some pretty sick people running around that place back then. Even worse in Bosnia.

5 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Go on. Explain. 
Oh right, you're just trolling my posts now. Snookums having a wittle temper tantrum is he ? Got to read all my posts and make dumb comments to make yourself feel better ? 

"They hanged themselves in a deep forest area in Chintala Madiwala. Since no one noticed them hanging from the tree for a few days, the bodies began to decompose and Mohan’s head separated and fell off, and was found a short distance away from the body. However, Srilakshmi’s head was still hanging from the tree while her body was fallen off. "

https://www.newindianexpress.com/cities/bengaluru/2019/nov/30/decomposed-bodies-of-kerala-lovers-found-hanging-near-bengaluru-forest-2069292.html

"The body of a 15-years-old male was found in a forest, in the Centre of Italy, in a suburban area of Florence (Tuscany) at the beginning of October. The man was last seen alive at the end of August, 34 days before his body discovery. The body, fully clothed, was found lying on his left side in a wooded shady area (Figure 1(B)). A noose with short, curling black hairs still attached, suggesting the body may have fallen to the ground during decomposition, was present on the tree above the body. Clothes were covered by pupae and empty puparia of Diptera. The head was disarticulated and partially skeletonized and was found approximately 2 m far from the body."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6197082/

I also read a good bit of a dissertation from a Ph.D student regarding decomposition in hanging pigs  (it was about using insects to determine the stages of decomposition in cadavers).
(Which wasn't very useful actually.)

Started reading a couple more studies only to find they were just reposts of the ones I'd already looked at. Looking at some more articles regarding decomposition now.

Another article by an Anthropology Ph.D titled "Qualifying and Quantifying the Rate of Decomposition in the Delaware River Valley Region" notes that in first stage of skeletonization (which happens after the last stage of decomposition" is marked by the disarticulation of the skull from the trunk.

(Gee, I wonder if that could happen to someone hanging from a rope.)

(You don't need to read all 550 pages of the Dissertation if you don't want to. https://repository.upenn.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3110&context=edissertations)

It seems they are all wrong though ! 

Yes.

19 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Thank you for the sermon... all speculation of course.
no offence intended.

8 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Thank you for the sermon... all speculation of course.
no offence intended.

Of course it's speculation. All we have to go on is a couple of photos and a short news article.

I was trying to give a plausible explanation for one possible reason why the skull wasn't found with the body (which, in the news article, they "speculate" that it may have been taken away by a dog).

• Like 1

As an aside would the head catapult any great distance if the deceased had used a rubber rope (what we in Oz refer to as a HD Ocky strap)  I bought 2 to try out to secure Oxy Acetylene cylinders in the back of my truck but the rubber was to stiff so I just stuck with the chains and the bit of clanging that occurred on rough roads.  Maybe that type of rubber is more flexible in the heat of Thailand???

4 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

As an aside would the head catapult any great distance if the deceased had used a rubber rope (what we in Oz refer to as a HD Ocky strap)  I bought 2 to try out to secure Oxy Acetylene cylinders in the back of my truck but the rubber was to stiff so I just stuck with the chains and the bit of clanging that occurred on rough roads.  Maybe that type of rubber is more flexible in the heat of Thailand???

Unlikely. It is rare for the head to come off during a "hanging" unless the body drops from a considerable height. There was a case in Bankok in 2009 where an Italian man apparently committed suicide by hanging himself from the Rama VIII bridge. (They think it was suicide as he had no criminal connections but was having financial problems). Seems he tied a rope to the bridge, tied it around his neck and jumped. His body was found in river and his head was still in the noose.

Another article on a research website from March of this year detailed a man (apparently in Italy) who jumped from a railway bridge with a rope around his neck and while wearing a 6.5 kilo knapsack. (His head was found the next day in the river about 6 m away from the body.)

From all the stories I've read over the years in Thailand, most of the suicides (by hanging) tend to be less dramatic. Electrical wire in an abandoned building, rope and a tree in a secluded spot. They find a lot in various forests and orchards, most don't make the "English" media though (unless there's something sensational about it, like the skull missing).

4 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Hamlet was not reduced to a skull in the play of the same name.  He was eulogising about his court jester, Yorick.

Yes, we know. The news article suggests a dog may have made off with the victims skull. People were suggesting that the dog's name may have been "Hamlet", to which I suggested perhaps that might mean the victim's name was Yorick.

• Haha 1

On 5/7/2020 at 10:27 AM, Grumpy John said:

And maybe a dog can get its jaws around a human head, but leave the easier parts to eat behind.