Trang booze ban fiasco: Confusion reigns as police order alcohol off the shelves

webfact

Trang booze ban fiasco: Confusion reigns as police order alcohol off the shelves

7pm1.jpg
Picture: 77kaoded

Thai media reported that confusion was rife in Trang province in southern Thailand after the public and traders thought the ban on selling alcohol had been lifted. 

The ban - implemented as part of Covid-19 restrictions on April 8th - was thought to be over at the end of April

Shops and the public were wrong. It has actually been extended.

Officers and Covid-19 crisis committee members were pictured at a Makro store ordering staff to take beer like Leo off the shelves and into storage.

Lots of customers were arriving asking what on earth was going on. 

Signage will now explain things.

All over Trang province retailers had started selling alcohol again. 

In fact the ban has been extended 30 days to the end of May and was never lifted. 

People face jail time if they flout the law.

77kaoded reported that the governor may lift the regulation mid-month but this only added to the confusion. 

Previously it was reported that only the governors of four provinces - Buriram, Pathum Thani, Petchaburi and Phitsanulok - had maintained the ban after the central government lifted it. 

Thaivisa notes that many people in Thailand are criticising the authorities for an approach completely lacking in uniformity.

Source: 77kaoded

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I actually went out last night. 

Everything has been closed for so long now it was weird to sit down and eat. 

beer being sold but you can't sit and drink it. i actually took my mask off in public.  

a woman i had not "seen" for about four years sat down at my table and said "I know you. You have girlfriend? Where is your girlfriend? I see you with girlfriend here." and i said "I don't have a girlfriend."

and she said "you lie".    

so you see everything is the same here in small town Hua Hin. 

It could have gone like this:

"I know you. You have girlfriend? Where is your girlfriend? I see you with girlfriend here." and i said "Yeah, she's at home.", and she said, "Ok, 1200 baht short-time, we go now! Quick, quick!"

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, KhunKenAP said:

That's what happens with the Prayut government flip-flop orders.

Not exactly, it's when governors enact their own provincial regulations, which they are allowed to do.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

a woman i had not "seen" for about four years sat down at my table and said "I know you. You have girlfriend? Where is your girlfriend? I see you with girlfriend here." and i said "I don't have a girlfriend."

and she said "you lie". 

Was her name, Joy or Chilli?

• Haha 1