BANGKOK
Aussieroaming

Caught at work - Can't get back in

Many thousands of us, I should think, with varying degrees of difficulty and distress. I used to think July was a possibility for return, but with the present regime's risk aversion, even at the low level of one death in a million from CV19, I'm thinking last quarter of the year now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

What a bummer.

It is sad sorry to hear that.

Unfortunately, they probably will not be making any special consideration for this.

15 hours ago, new2here said:

My guess here - my guess only, is that we will see some type of readnussion process in June.

Why?  A few parts...

i think the time since they first closed inbound flights to ALL, except for Thai nationals, this time has been what I call the “repatriation” window.

While there’s still a steady stream of Thai national repatriations occurring - my guess is that by months end (more than 20 days away) the vast majority who wanted to repatriate would have done so by that point in time..

Next part... 

Remembering that all these repatriated passengers are being housed for a full 14days at a state-controlled facility, by the time June 1 rolls around, I’d guess that the number of Thais still at some point in their 14 day quarantine would be low — thus, there’d be capacity for new people to enter/start the 14-day process..

Next part...

Remember that when the very first round of inbound passenger restrictions did come into effect (thus was before the total ban on foreigners) there was a narrow exception made for foreigners with with permits and SMART visa holders...  so this kind of tells me that there is some level of recognition that there are some types of foreigners that the government wants to admit before the masses.

therefore, my guess is that June 1 or so, we will see something put into place that allows for select classes of foreigners to enter/return - because there would be/should be sufficient quarantine space for them and the government has already signaled these foreigners are the ones they’d like back earlier.  I’d guess it would  start with WP holders and SMART visa holders because the assumption would these folks contribute more directly to the economic picture of Thailand. (This does not say other class like retirees/married to Thais etc don’t contribute, only that based on earlier restrictions, the government has already shown a preference for WP/SMART visa holders over others)

I agree, the Thai policy will likely be staggered return based on what they need, fair tap to them. My multiple entry visa expires in mid June, so it would have been preferrable to renew rather that get a new one because I suspect that initially they might not have visa on arrival, which would be a challenge for me if I had to get to a Thai Embassy to apply.

18 minutes ago, Sakeopete said:

I have been stuck in Angola since mid February. I know how you feel. Hoping everyone  makes it home soon. The Covid19 certificate and special insurance will make it very difficult for travelers. Hopefully the Thai government comes to their senses and removes them I am guessing the Chinese will be allowed in without them. 

Unless some form of a universally recognized test certificate and one that can be had in one day or less from test date is widely available — I doubt they’ll drop the test mandate for foreign returnees... insurance I think will also still be a mandate.

what I wonder is IF there is a rapid test option available - like Emirates apparently now does for some Dubai departures - then I can see them dropping some of these requirements, but then mandating all foreign returnees must agree to undergo the rapid test option  (and pay for it as well) immediately upon arrival and IF it is negative test, then they’re free to go...

what I’ve wondered is if they keep the 14-day quarantine in place, given we’re now talking about foreigners, I would expect that the foreigner be required to also pay for their accommodations/food for that 14 day period.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, new2here said:

what I’ve wondered is if they keep the 14-day quarantine in place,

If there is a mandatory 14 day quarantine, then there should be no need for a Covid test prior to arriving.

I've been tested (antibody/antigen) twice in the past couple weeks and both came back negative.

If the virus was so infectious, then I would have expected at least a few of our crew to have been exposed to it prior to lock downs, but all negative.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Sakeopete said:

I have been stuck in Angola since mid February. I know how you feel. Hoping everyone  makes it home soon. The Covid19 certificate and special insurance will make it very difficult for travelers. Hopefully the Thai government comes to their senses and removes them I am guessing the Chinese will be allowed in without them. 

My understanding from @ubonjoe was that with the closing of air travel those requirements are no longer in force. Of course, once they start things up again it is anyone's guess what the requirement will be. Mandatory 14 day quarantine makes sense.

I'm really not convinced that the Thai gov will make the effort to set up some kind of system to allow 'special case' farangs back in before joe bloggs is allowed. Why should they really care? Will other countries that have closed their borders do anything similar?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sakeopete said:

Geeze, where Luanda? 

Only 1 place worse Saudi Arabia. 

You working offshore on a rotation or stuck in a hotel/house? 

• Like 2