Caught at work - Can't get back in

27 minutes ago, ross163103 said:

I expect a tiny bit of consideration from the govt since I've lived in Thailand for approx 27 years and during that time have taken care of 5-6 of THEIR citizens--my Thai extended family, and spent millions of baht IN THAILAND while doing it. I would just like to be considered something different than a "two week zero dollar" tourist. Other countries recognize the difference, no reason Thailand can't.

I do hear what you're saying and have heard the same argument many times down the years from others, even from the cheap Charlies that live alone in a box with a fan spending 25k a month. They laughably, genuinely believe, that should give them rights in some way. Thailand is not a poor country, your 'millions of Baht' spent is literally nothing. I've also spent millions of Baht here (my choice) it doesn't make me a hero, and again I don't expect any favours from the gov at all. Looks like we should agree to disagree on this one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, madmen said:

Farang are brutally harsh and critical against thais, they are all idiots apparently. 

Is there really any surprise expats are treated this way? 

And how do you base that opinion when seeing foreigners out in public? I don't see foreigners berating or being condescending to Thai out in public or on their Thai forums (Not TV). It is them first off as in the Thai men population that is xenophobic and critical of foreign males which in-turn creates anxiety and some angst from the foreigners about them and their xenophobic archaic restraining policies. Honestly speaking they need a complete overhaul of their treatment of expats who are married or with family having children or invested in this place. It is always like standing on a ledge one foot up in the air wondering which way you gonna teeter and fall to, but just grateful for the time being you can stand on one leg and not fall.

• Like 2

On 5/7/2020 at 2:12 PM, VYCM said:

Geeze, where Luanda? 

Only 1 place worse Saudi Arabia. 

You working offshore on a rotation or stuck in a hotel/house? 

Stuck in Saudi here. I'm expecting it'll be a case of waiting for Saudi to open rather than Thailand for me...

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, Nacho said:

Stuck in Saudi here. I'm expecting it'll be a case of waiting for Saudi to open rather than Thailand for me...

OMG, where abouts are you located. 

I was lucky working on an offshore drilling rig, so just spent 1 night in Saudi before morning chopper. The last year or so we were put up in the Mecure Hotel Al Kohbar, it has a 5 star plaque out the front of the building. I always thought to be a 5 star hotel you had to have a wine list.

I worked in Saudi for 3 years, it was difficult with no beer or a glass of wine with the evening meal. I tried to get into one of the compounds to buy some beer but they wouldn't let me in.
The rig moved around a lot, Yanbu, Duba, and spent some time crew changing in Jeddah. Jeddah is the main airport for Mecca, during the celebrations every flight out of Jeddah we'd have a passenger die, sadly these people are required to visit before they die and have never travelled at an elderly age they just pass away travelling.

My company issued us with lounge passes for all airports, waste of time having this pass in Saudi, Non alcoholic beer only.

Hope you get out of there soon, its getting very hot there over the next 5 or so months. 

• 2 months later...

Luckily i was back home in Thailand when the lock down happened and i was not able to go offshore in the UK anymore.

Been working from home from March and luckily is my boss and company very understanding and i receive normal pay.

Planning is that i return back to work maybe from August.