Trump says he did not wear mask at Honeywell facility after consulting CEO

webfact

Trump says he did not wear mask at Honeywell facility after consulting CEO

By Jeff Mason and Susan Heavey

2020-05-06T175350Z_1_LYNXMPEG451RV_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-USA.JPG

FILE PHOTO: U.S. President Donald Trump watches manufacturing workers create protective face masks as he, White House National Security Adviser Robert O'Brien, Honeywell CEO Darius Adamczyk, White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows and Honeywell's Vice President of Integrated Supply Chain Tony Stallings observe an assembly line during the president's visit to a Honeywell facility making masks for the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak in Phoenix, Arizona, U.S., May 5, 2020. REUTERS/Tom Brenner

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said on Wednesday he did not wear a mask during a tour on Tuesday of a Honeywell International Inc factory in Arizona after consulting the company's chief executive, despite requirements at the plant that workers wear them.

Trump, speaking to reporters at a White House event marking National Nurses Day, said he tried some masks on backstage, including one from Honeywell, 3M and about four others.

The president has not been wearing a mask in public despite health advice from his administration encouraging people to do so to prevent the spread of the coronavirus. Trump said before embarking on his trip to Arizona to visit a plant that made masks that he would likely wear one when he was there.

He did not wear one for the majority of his visit, but he told reporters he had one on at least briefly.

"I had a mask on for a period of time," Trump said. "I can’t help it if you didn’t see me. I mean, I had a mask on, but I didn’t need it. And I asked specifically the head of Honeywell: 'Should I wear a mask?' And he said, "Well, you don’t need one,'" Trump said.

Trump took a tour of the facility, held a meeting about how the virus was affecting native Americans, and gave remarks, all without a mask.

Asked how long he had one on, Trump said, "Not too long, but I had it on. I had it on ... backstage. But they said you didn't need it."

Trump wore safety goggles during the factory tour. Production workers wore masks and a sign was visible that read: "Attention: Face Mask Required in this Area. Thank You!"

Some of the officials who joined Trump for the tour also did not wear masks.

Honeywell said on Wednesday, "Following White House recommended protocol, a small number of individuals directly interfacing with the president ... were tested for COVID-19 immediately prior to the event, received negative test results, and were permitted to not wear masks ... All others present were wearing masks ... in accordance with Honeywell’s site policy.”

Vice President Mike Pence was criticized in recent days for not wearing a face mask when visiting patients at the Mayo Clinic last week, something he apologized for during a television interview on Sunday.

(Reporting by Jeff Mason and Susan Heavey; Additional reporting by Sanjana Sitara Shivdas and Aishwarya Venugopal in Bangalore; Editing by Steve Orlofsky and Lisa Shumaker)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-05-07

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

I imagine that some simple-minded people in Thailand will cite masks as the difference between 55 deaths and 30,000 deaths.

You mean the ones still calling the 'flu'? 5555

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Phulublub said:

"Do as I say, not as I do".  But his acolytes continue to fawn over his every word and action as if he really is some sort of deity.

Thank heavens that could never happen in LOS????

• Haha 2

"I had a mask on for a period of time," Trump said. "I can’t help it if you didn’t see me."

Did he use the toilet at the factory? That may have been "a period of time"

• Haha 1

How is that most infected country top politicians never wear masks and in Thailand 0 cases for 3 days now and ppl are forced to wear mask in the cars? Hows that not a red flag thats most important per say guy on the world is not protected? Obviously he knows its all phony ballony... 

1 hour ago, Emdog said:

"I had a mask on for a period of time," Trump said. "I can’t help it if you didn’t see me."

Did he use the toilet at the factory? That may have been "a period of time"

But did he wash his hands?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Enlil said:

They are right. They are lied to obviously 

And the clown, instead of supporting a drive towards decreasing the spread of the virus, he has to be the clever dick guy (read ignorant/arrogant guy) and do something which he thinks will make him look smart. Unbelievable. 

And at the same time he should have well realized his non-compliance at the factory would create problems. He's actually too dumb to know what day it is. What a fool.

Further, because his doctors speak the medical facts and don't always follow his whims he's about to close down the committee.

Anybody would be a better president, anybody.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Thailand said:

But many of those simple minded people will probably have just enough common sense to know there are probably other factors, not just masks.

I think you flatter the simple-minded people to whom you refer.

It's becoming rather apparent Trump's idea of what a "real man" is.

"Real men don't wear mask."

"Real men don't give a <deleted> about the environment."

"Real men are coal miners and roughnecks."

"Real men treat women like dirt because they exist to serve men."

"Real men are not politically correct."

"Real men never admit they're wrong."

"Real men never apologize."

"Dictators are the epitome of real men."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Thailand said:

He could have asked for advice from "Chaina" about wearing a mask but appears there is some sort of rift at the moment.

UK and USA, two of the main non mask countries, how's it going in those 2 countries? 

Because you  know 100%  that a  face  mask = less deaths right? NO  you don't, and neither does anyone else at the moment, all you do is "think" it does.

I  suspect it's going to be many  more reasons including climate   for  one that will come out in the future once this  has  past.