Rude Western cyclists

OzMan

50 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Cyclists are generally polite in Thailand. Maybe those farang cyclists are focused on a PR on Strava so no time to say thanks.

The other thing is when you are totally knackered riding, politeness goes out the window

You're on your way home, and you've been out in the sun all day, and there's Tigers calling you from the pub 5 km ahead, and you come across a bloke coming the other way, and one of us is going to have to stop, but I hope it won't be me... Let's coast and see what happens... 

THANKS, mate, a silent prayer is all I can manage.  4.9 km to the pub...

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

That's a bit rude, isn't it?

He is the epitome of which he complains.

I sometimes drive my car, and I occasionally get irated by other drivers who in my opinion are behaving badly.  I sometimes think "I'm not going to put up with that" and respond in kind, with less courtesy than usual.  If I did not have both hands on the wheel I would then slap myself
"I are allowing his bad driving to make my driving worse; is my bad driving going to improve hs bad driving, or make his even worse still? Why not try and see if good driving on my part will improve his?"

There is no excuse for bad driving, least of all other people's ignorance or stupidity.

SC

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Retarded said:

I stopped riding a bike since I moved new area. Not many bike only trails and road surface is rough in high country. It is too dangerous to share the road with traffic. But lot of cyclists on the road though. And they are dare devils. You described their attitude by the atom. 

It is the western entitlement attitude. 

By the law the bikers have right to share the road and any passing vehicles have to keep the distance 3 feet. So the the bikers attitude is it is the driver's responsibility not theirs. I get scared every time I have to pass the cyclist. 

I hated the vehicle drivers when I rode bike and I hated cyclists when I drove. 

Eventually I decided not to ride a bike instead of car. 

I have to say that cycling in Malaysia at the weekends, I see far more polite and courteous driving than I do in my car during the week.

I rarely see cyclists when I am in my car, so I can't comment on their behaviour from a car driver's perspective.  When I have been in a mass cycling event, some cyclists have been less courteous than I am - but so was I, when I was younger.

Today, I rolled up to a red light; the traffic in our road, and one other, were stopped, the other two roads were empty; I made a show of checking that the traffic to my left had a red light before I crossed them, and the guy at the front revved his engine as I passed, and I acknowledged his humour. 

3 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

more like a symptom of drug taking. The biggest sound you hear when the Tour Du France goes past, is the rattle of hundreds of banned narcotic pills in their otherwise empty stomachs. 

I've never been to France to watch it, but that does not come across on the television coverage.  There's not many sports that have the drug-testing that professional cycling has.

You what's funny......how many MOTORBIKES ride on the sidewalk?  OMG, I almost got hit by about 10 today.  It's Thailand, so I can't worry about it.  Nothing I can.....just go with the flow of the Universe.

Then once I saw 5 people on a bike, all carrying chairs.  OK, I didn't see that....but we don't complain about it.  It's not safe.  Nobody is wearing a helmet.  

The westerners put on their Cinelli bibshorts for 10,000 baht, Cinelli socks for 2000 baht, Cinelli Jersey for 5000 baht, and then 10000 baht Oakleys with the tag hanging off.  They just look like someone you won't like.  I get it.  don't forget the carbon shoes from specialized for 30,000 baht and new pearl izumi gloves for 1000 baht, all matching.  and some latex tubes tucked away under the top tube, pro.

yea, these jokers aren't professional, but they act like it.  but it makes them weirdly happy, healthier, and they are dreaming about beating Lance Armstrong.  Of course, from experience, you could train all the time for 20-years and lose to Lance by 20 minutes in a 3-hour mountain bike race.  then you don't iron your cinelli gear anymore.....then you put on 30 baht socks.  

8 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

I've never been to France to watch it, but that does not come across on the television coverage.  There's not many sports that have the drug-testing that professional cycling has.

You can now watch the Tour de France in Yorkshire..

.... never quite got my head around that one.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

You what's funny......how many MOTORBIKES ride on the sidewalk?  OMG, I almost got hit by about 10 today.  It's Thailand, so I can't worry about it.  Nothing I can.....just go with the flow of the Universe.

Then once I saw 5 people on a bike, all carrying chairs.  OK, I didn't see that....but we don't complain about it.  It's not safe.  Nobody is wearing a helmet.  

The westerners put on their Cinelli bibshorts for 10,000 baht, Cinelli socks for 2000 baht, Cinelli Jersey for 5000 baht, and then 10000 baht Oakleys with the tag hanging off.  They just look like someone you won't like.  I get it.  don't forget the carbon shoes from specialized for 30,000 baht and new pearl izumi gloves for 1000 baht, all matching.  and some latex tubes tucked away under the top tube, pro.

yea, these jokers aren't professional, but they act like it.  but it makes them weirdly happy, healthier, and they are dreaming about beating Lance Armstrong.  Of course, from experience, you could train all the time for 20-years and lose to Lance by 20 minutes in a 3-hour mountain bike race.  then you don't iron your cinelli gear anymore.....then you put on 30 baht socks.  

I am sure that some people wear expensive kit and ride expensive bikes.  We went out today, and there were guys whose bikes cost twice what mine did, and guys whose bikes cost half what mine did.   Guys wearing lycra, guys wearing football shorts.   We all rode the same ride.  If you want to ride faster than a fat old get on a tractor, go your own ride, not mine.  But nobody complains.

22 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

There are not as many other sports that have abused banned drugs for as long and as comprehensively  as professional cycling. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

You can now watch the Tour de France in Yorkshire..

.... never quite got my head around that one.

and in Kent, where I saw them rattle past 

16 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

There are not as many other sports that have abused banned drugs for as long and as comprehensively  as professional cycling. 

Do you have any evidence for the absence of doping in other sports?
In cycling, the problem was not so much the abuse of banned substances, as the use of non-banned substances or techniques to gain an advantage; the dopers were ahead of the regulators and testers ...

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Confused 1