Rude Western cyclists

OzMan

3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Sport cyclists and the cycling mafia in the UK are inconsiderate, selfish, none law abiding, axx holes.   Maybe some have imported that attitude to Thailand? 

I cycle every day now during the UK lock down, pedestrians polite mostly but not all, cyclists, yes some are impolite.

I travel the roads to avoid the pedestrians on the shared paths, just easier that way and the roads are not so busy, if I come across a jogger on the pavement I pull out and give them room, it's called social distancing, people are generally considerate of others.

Except about 50% of motorists, who when it comes to overtaking a cyclist have no concept of giving plenty of room, never have and never will understood social distancing!!

• Like 1

OK bring on the flaming, but it's not just the cyclist unfortunately. It seems that westerners in general ( speaking about bkk and cm) that seem to think they are are above others. That means everyone. Over the last 10 yrs I ve often said hello to someone who for some reason pretends not to speak English anymore, lol even worse things they are the ants pants and they certainly don't speak Thai. I might not live in thai land full time yet like some of you expats but it's not the expats that aren't friendly it the guys that come to work in Thailand for a few years and think their above others. This is no bs it's from my own experience over the last 30 yrs. Now I say <deleted> and laugh. Funny thing is if I think like that, what kind of rep are these type of unfriendly people giving to the  generally nice expats? Lol over 50 we are already stereotyped as going to Pattaya and looking for 30 yr Olds. Before you shot at me that's your business I am just saying????????????????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

But he does get some relief by a Bum Wagging Display going up hills.

yes, all very suspect, bit like the monkeys I see on the roads here. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, 473geo said:

I cycle every day now during the UK lock down, pedestrians polite mostly but not all, cyclists, yes some are impolite.

I travel the roads to avoid the pedestrians on the shared paths, just easier that way and the roads are not so busy, if I come across a jogger on the pavement I pull out and give them room, it's called social distancing, people are generally considerate of others.

Except about 50% of motorists, who when it comes to overtaking a cyclist have no concept of giving plenty of room, never have and never will understood social distancing!!

One problem is that motorists don't know how much space to give cyclists, nor when it is safe to pass.  I appreciate that they want to get past, and if it's a single direction road, I'll cycle near the gutter to let them past; sometimes on a bidirectional road I'll wave them past if it is safe for them to go.  But most motorists and most cyclists are not that considerate.

3 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

One problem is that motorists don't know how much space to give cyclists, nor when it is safe to pass.  I appreciate that they want to get past, and if it's a single direction road, I'll cycle near the gutter to let them past; sometimes on a bidirectional road I'll wave them past if it is safe for them to go.  But most motorists and most cyclists are not that considerate.

I cycle through a village with narrow roads on my way to work and passing is quite difficult, on many occasions I will move onto the pavement to let trucks past as they will sit behind me and not attempt to overtake, cars on the other hand will squeeze by especially if traffic in the opposite direction.

I consider myself a considerate cyclist with both pedestrians and motorists giving room where I can, what really gets to me is traffic that tries to squeeze you out when you are overtaking cars parked in the cycle lane!!! or like the idiot who stopped alongside me and told me I should be in the cycle lane on the other side of a one way street to let cyclists only travel against the flow of traffic, I politely told him it was for cyclists going the other way, I doubt it has sunk in yet!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 473geo said:

I cycle through a village with narrow roads on my way to work and passing is quite difficult, on many occasions I will move onto the pavement to let trucks past as they will sit behind me and not attempt to overtake, cars on the other hand will squeeze by especially if traffic in the opposite direction.

I consider myself a considerate cyclist with both pedestrians and motorists giving room where I can, what really gets to me is traffic that tries to squeeze you out when you are overtaking cars parked in the cycle lane!!! or like the idiot who stopped alongside me and told me I should be in the cycle lane on the other side of a one way street to let cyclists only travel against the flow of traffic, I politely told him it was for cyclists going the other way, I doubt it has sunk in yet!!

I don't like cycle lanes - I would far rather have another metre in the first lane to let cars get past.  Cycle lanes may be wrongly interpreted that cycles should be in that lane, going over the parked cars and buses, and should not be in the black tarmac.  The fact of the matter is that bicycles were on the road before cars were, and if cars cannot behave safely, they should be banned,

1 minute ago, StreetCowboy said:

I don't like cycle lanes - I would far rather have another metre in the first lane to let cars get past.  Cycle lanes may be wrongly interpreted that cycles should be in that lane, going over the parked cars and buses, and should not be in the black tarmac.  The fact of the matter is that bicycles were on the road before cars were, and if cars cannot behave safely, they should be banned,

Well thats one way to upset sensible Bycycle Riders. What about Horse and Elephants too and those 18 Wheel Tucks that flatten everything in the name of work.

4 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Agree on the cycle lane unless completely separated, the width is often barely enough and vehicles appear to think it is fine to overtake almost on the white line that defines the edge of the cycle lane, also motorists and planners alike do not account for moving out to avoid sunken man hole and drains covers

2 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Agree on the cycle lane unless completely separated, the width is often barely enough and vehicles appear to think it is fine to overtake almost on the white line that defines the edge of the cycle lane, also motorists and planners alike do not account for moving out to avoid sunken man hole and drains covers

I'm lucky that I mostly cycle at the weekends when  the drivers are so much better than during the week.  Really, I see a lot of good, considerate driving when I'm on my bike at the weekend, and a lot of bad, inconsiderate driving, when I'm in my car during the week.  Maybe it's me?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

Well thats one way to upset sensible Bycycle Riders. What about Horse and Elephants too and those 18 Wheel Tucks that flatten everything in the name of work.

I can remember one encounter with a truck that I was not happy with, and none with elephants or horses.  

With horses (and presumably elephants) you should try to pass on the downhill side, to avoid frightening them.

6 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

I'm lucky that I mostly cycle at the weekends when  the drivers are so much better than during the week.  Really, I see a lot of good, considerate driving when I'm on my bike at the weekend, and a lot of bad, inconsiderate driving, when I'm in my car during the week.  Maybe it's me?

If you are like me, on weekends you avoid cycling the roads where everybody else wants to be ????

2 minutes ago, 473geo said:

If you are like me, on weekends you avoid cycling the roads where everybody else wants to be ????

Weekdays, I go to where I need to go.
Saturdays, we ride on the roads where we can keep up.

Sundays, we ride on the nice roads, that people who are going places don't use.
I rarely get complaints about the choice of route.  (That's meant as a warning, or a threat, if any of my buddies are reading...)

38 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

Thanks for letting us all know

Have you considered contacting the National newspapers about this? I'm sure it would be front page news

I hope people will keep themselves abreast by reading this thread.
If you think a more wider audience is deserved, perhaps you could forward accordingly,

Thanks very much!
SC

2 hours ago, Retarded said:

t is the western entitlement attitude. 

By the law the bikers have right to share the road and any passing vehicles have to keep the distance 3 feet. So the the bikers attitude is it is the driver's responsibility not theirs. I get scared every time I have to pass the cyclist. 

I hated the vehicle drivers when I rode bike and I hated cyclists when I drove.

One thing that I always had in the back of my mind when I rode:
Myself and my bike maybe weighed 190 lbs.
The average car weighed maybe 2000 lbs. 
End of story.  No matter who is in the wrong, I knew I'd be the one with a problem - soooo, I drove very defensively.  About the only time I got truly <deleted> in my life riding was when a car load of guys threw a full 7/11 Slurpy Cup at me while passing and nailed me right in the back of the head.  Other than that, I stayed cool and protected myself regardless of what others did.  I never assumed the right-of-way.  Defensive all they way.

But I don't see the current crop of Spandex bike crazies riding defensively.  It's "The Road Is Ours -- Cars Are Bad!!!"  and their riding is sh*t.  I've see cyclists get seriously hurt out of their own hubris.  I don't have much sympathy.  And I detest driving in a car around these fools.
However, the Thai riders I've met are actually less aggressive.  Go figure given that most are maniacal when they're in their cars. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, connda said:

One thing that I always had in the back of my mind when I rode:
Myself and my bike maybe weighed 190 lbs.
The average car weighed maybe 2000 lbs. 
End of story.  No matter who is in the wrong, I knew I'd be the one with a problem - soooo, I drove very defensively.  About the only time I got truly <deleted> in my life riding was when a car load of guys threw a full 7/11 Slurpy Cup at me while passing and nailed me right in the back of the head.  Other than that, I stayed cool and protected myself regardless of what others did.  I never assumed the right-of-way.  Defensive all they way.

But I don't see the current crop of Spandex bike crazies riding defensively.  It's "The Road Is Ours -- Cars Are Bad!!!"  and their riding is sh*t.  I've see cyclists get seriously hurt out of their own hubris.  I don't have much sympathy.  And I detest driving in a car around these fools.
However, the Thai riders I've met are actually less aggressive.  Go figure given that most are maniacal when they're in their cars. 

I think this is an excellent summary which also highlights the difference between the attitudes of those in the West and East.

We in the West seem to look for confrontation and to get upset at feeling slighted, whereas Thai's in particular seem more adept at 'just letting it go'.

Having Driven a car, ridden a motorcycle and ridden bicycles around Bangkok I find that in general the majority of drivers and riders are courteous give or take a small minority.

With regards to 'other foreigners' being ignorant or unfriendly. I don't expect to become best friends with every stranger I meet so would probably not acknowledge most people I pass. However, a small 'thanks' is a simple offering - not worth getting upset over though.

2 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

Do you have any evidence for the absence of doping in other sports?
In cycling, the problem was not so much the abuse of banned substances, as the use of non-banned substances or techniques to gain an advantage; the dopers were ahead of the regulators and testers ...

You should know better than to attempt to correct someones bias and request actual facts... !!!!...

[Percentage of Positive Test Results]: Cycling (3.6%), Weightlifting (3.0%), Boxing (2.9%), Triathalon (2.7%), Baseball (2.5%) and others..  Athletics, Swimming, Rugby (No.1 Sport for doping in the UK), Football and American Football, UFC.

What evidence does one need. Would anyone not under the influence go out in public covered in Dancing Girls Lycra coated with day glo adverts and looking like the Old Comedian Max Wall. Touring Cyclist set the Quality Standard here.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ventenio said:

And I'm one of them, and would easily pass you at 60 on my phone and flex to your gf so she dumps you before I complete another pedal stroke.

she made the fast realization that you were the easier mark. you are 60 and bragging about flexin on a dude riding his bike ? hahahaha 

7 hours ago, connda said:

About the only time I got truly <deleted> in my life riding was when a car load of guys threw a full 7/11 Slurpy Cup at me while passing and nailed me right in the back of the head. 

hahah was it refreshing at least ? 

14 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Perhaps the OP should consider finding a cycle path which is wider, so his sensibilities are no longer outraged.

Theresa good 1 in South Australia very wide and long. Gets a bit bumpy around Odnadatta go have a look.

We wait for your next post with anticipation.

Don't forget your water.

????????????????????

12 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

I hope people will keep themselves abreast by reading this thread.
If you think a more wider audience is deserved, perhaps you could forward accordingly,

Thanks very much!
SC

If you can get the cyclists name and addresses I will make it my personal mission to go and inform them

Anywhere in Thailand is fine - if they have left already I am prepared to travel

13 hours ago, mr mr said:
On 5/7/2020 at 6:12 PM, Ventenio said:

And I'm one of them, and would easily pass you at 60 on my phone and flex to your gf so she dumps you before I complete another pedal stroke.

she made the fast realization that you were the easier mark. you are 60 and bragging about flexin on a dude riding his bike ? hahahaha 

pass you AT   AT   AT   60

is not the same as you ARE ARE ARE 60

I'm driving at 200 does not mean I'm 200-years old.

passing.....implies speed.....flexin'.....60........ age....not mentioned

i'm 99

''From now on, whenever a Western cyclist comes towards me, I will not get out of their way sufficiently for them to get past. They will have to stop and let me pass''

Thats' the spirit! You should give them a nasty stare as they go past too so they know you are not to be messed with, haha.

•  
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Take a sporting approach with an occasional joust ( I find that an aluminum baseball bat or a cricket bat work best though) Sometimes they get severely agitated and if they can get up they may come at you, so practice your swing technique. They normally leave you alone and give way after that ...