Rude Western cyclists

OzMan

3 minutes ago, bobfish said:

Like the boring Farangs at the bar in faded football team colours...? Pro's every one.  Most cyclists don't wear lycra to look cool, I know I can't carry that off. ????  A lot of cyclewear comes in team colours. If a rider likes a team and chooses to wear the same sponsored gear? So what. Helps that it is usually brightly coloured for visibilty.... Do cyclists think they're pro just because they are dressed in practical attire? Does the Barfly think he's what's-his-name from Man U? Probably no more than the golfing dude in a Nike T-shirt thinks he's Tiger Woo'. Guessing all are just wearing attire that is comfortably efficient for the task at hand. Get a grip Gents, please.

what amazes me is that so many of these Lycra team colours are dark and do not reflect, so they are riding without the protection of hi viz.  A bit stupid really. Saw a chap yesterday on his bike  in all black?  Cool looking but hardly appropriate. 

On 5/7/2020 at 10:36 PM, Pilotman said:

I guess that anyone who sits for hours having his knackers squashed to death on a thin strip of leather, is allowed to be a bit grumpy.  I know that I would be.  

Not really how a bicycle seat works. Not blissful, but much more comfortable than a couple of hours strapped to one of Mssrs Martin & Baker's finest.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, bobfish said:

Not really how a bicycle seat works. Not blissful, but much more comfortable than a couple of hours strapped to one of Mssrs Martin & Baker's finest.

That sometimes made me grumpy too.  ???? 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

what amazes me is that so many of these Lycra team colours are dark and do not reflect, so they are riding without the protection of hi viz.  A bit stupid really. Saw a chap yesterday on his bike  in all black?  Cool looking but hardly appropriate. 

That's a fair point. Fashion victims and Rapha is guilty of pushing it. 

17 hours ago, bobfish said:

This guy was riding?- so that's six times? Previously I understood the other five bikers hit you while walking. I guess they must have told you they were bikers, or else had there bikes with them. Middle aged? and, were they wearing Lycra? Or did you just not like them and decided they must be bikers then?

You have to be careful with pedestrians.  If you ring your bell, they will turn their head to see you, and their feet will follow, stepping into your path.  I think you are safer with the traffic - the car drivers know how to avoid you, and you can normally tell when they are going to swerve across you.

2 hours ago, bobfish said:

That's a fair point. Fashion victims and Rapha is guilty of pushing it. 

We went to a Car-Free Night at Sepang Circuit.  My buddy’s wife asked if there were lots of “proper cyclists in black Lycra?”

”Dunno. Never saw any. Lots of bikes with no riders, though”

Flashing lights are pointless when there are so many cyclists; there is no persistence of vision, and you cannot identify and avoid individuals.

On the road, only the tail and lead riders should have flashing lights. 

We were out today, on a quiet road, coasting up to a red traffic light; sOrebody behind sounded their horn; I’m guessing it was the guy that came through the junction and swerved across me from the left lane, then held up the taxi in front of us while he turned off left from the next road. I think it’s good if impatient motorists use their horn, because at least you know - somewhere, behind me, there is an idiot.  I was glad, this morning, that I did not head off to the left-hand kerb at the junction.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2020 at 5:05 AM, bobfish said:

This guy was riding?- so that's six times? Previously I understood the other five bikers hit you while walking. I guess they must have told you they were bikers, or else had there bikes with them. Middle aged? and, were they wearing Lycra? Or did you just not like them and decided they must be bikers then?

5555 bikers = bicyclists

I don't understand your points at all. You are just being argumentative. Sorry I rolled the stone off you.

I went out during the week today - something from which I normally refrain, until evening time, and the drivers were as pleasant and polite as at the weekend.  There was a bit of hesitation with a bus - a case of "After you ->"
"No, after you ->"

which I think delayed him by about five seconds, and me by less.
He was very good at sounding his horn politely to warn merging drivers that might pull out in front of him - that gyratory around PJ town centre is a diabolical piece of road mis-design and we were glad to get on to the Federal Highway motorcycle lane - until we were diverted back on to the main highway for prolonged roadworks just before the entrance to the Kerinchi Link flyover - a quite intimidating two-lane high speed motorway slip road.

Earlier on the route, I had been slightly surprised by someone giving way to allow us to enter a roundabout, though to be fair, there is a high risk of people flying onto the roundabout recklessly due to the gradient, and most of the traffic turning off beforehand; and indeed, there are give way markings across the roundabout.   Anyway, good, attentive driving and anticipation.  I see lots more good driving on my bike than in my car.

On 5/24/2020 at 11:34 AM, elgenon said:

Only if they are aware and care. One day I was running on the Strand the wide cement path along the beach. I didn't see anyone else. All of a sudden I heard "Look out". Then the biker plowed into me from behind. I was running in a straight line, no other person near me and the guy did not swerve to try to miss me. On his phone or spacing. Yet you say it's my fault I got hit. Yes, you have nothing to do with god or sense.

I'm surprised he managed to hit you, a moving object, before he ran into something stationary, like a lamppost.

You didn't explain how the other 4 accidents happened.

I didn't say you were doing something wrong on purpose, but for whatever reason, you attract suicidal cyclists.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2020 at 11:19 AM, elgenon said:

5555 bikers = bicyclists

I don't understand your points at all. You are just being argumentative. Sorry I rolled the stone off you.

No stone unturned..... My impression was that you were interpreting other's replies as an argumentative victim. I just couldn't resist a dig then at your own ambiguous grammar. So, sorry if my feeble attempt at ironic sarcasm offended. I do understand from my American friends that irony and taking the P155 can be confusing. My profound apologies.

And: Oxford English Dictionary: "Biker" [n] . A cyclist. A person who rides a bicycle. Yep, separated by a common language and I assume your vision of bikers conjures up visions and aromas of sweat, leather and sleazy bars. Lucky you. Tomato/tomato - can we now just get along with our lives? Kind regards, Bob the Biker.

Edited by bobfish
Being kinder
  • Like 1

On 5/24/2020 at 8:05 PM, bobfish said:

He never said this biker in question was riding either.

Having said that, fourteen years ago while doing some research on spontaneous combustion  in support of our safety analysis, I came across a hazard which may well be the cause of Elgenon’s complaints - Spontaneous Involuntary Invisibility. I was sceptical at first - “there’s no such thing as invisibility, it’s not physically possible”, but then I reflected back on my own experience; how often have you gone into a crowded bar: “Excuse me, landlord! Excuse me!” And people keep on leaning over you and getting served, and blundering into you, spilling drinks... Elgenon and I seem to share a common supernatural affliction

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1

On 5/25/2020 at 10:10 AM, Pilotman said:

what about thais on motorbikes with no lights? 

• Sad 1

On 5/8/2020 at 12:28 AM, richard_smith237 said:

You should know better than to attempt to correct someones bias and request actual facts... !!!!...

[Percentage of Positive Test Results]: Cycling (3.6%), Weightlifting (3.0%), Boxing (2.9%), Triathalon (2.7%), Baseball (2.5%) and others..  Athletics, Swimming, Rugby (No.1 Sport for doping in the UK), Football and American Football, UFC.

same as covid, no tests no positives, professional football and tennis is rife, athletics even worse.

I was a bit mischievous today; we’d come to a cross-roads out in the boondocks, I’d slowed down and stopped expecting the pickup to turn across us, he’d stopped expecting us to sail through. I waved him across, without checking the side roads, and he pulled out just in front of a Myvi.  No harm done, but I should have checked before I waved.

I think today there were probably three instances where people stopped or slowed down to allow us through, when we neither deserved nor expected it.  I see a lot more generous driving on my bike than in my car.  I hope I can drive so courteously.

Edited by StreetCowboy