Jobless elephants undertake 150km hike back home

snoop1130

Jobless elephants undertake 150km hike back home

By The Nation

800_11bee727340e5c1.jpg

A hundred or so elephants are having to trudge some 150 kilometres back to their natural habitat now that there are no tourists to watch them perform and the mahouts have run out of money to feed them.

Mahouts in Chiang Mai said the elephants are being led to Mae Chaem district, where local communities can help look after them, now that most elephant shows in the province have been temporarily closed due to the pandemic.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30387444

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-07

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

I have not heard one elephant complain about being out of work!  ????

If you will talk to them, I mean really sit down and talk to them, you will find out that they to have have feelings. dreams and aspiration,  and are not a think skinned as everyone thinks they are.

Just make sure not when you do so not to sit too close as my uncle Harry  found out when after a few drinks one fell over ,and landed on him. 

Edited by sirineou
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Pilotman said:

The Mahouts are the jobless ones, thank goodness.  The Elephants are free spirited, wild animals that have had their natural instincts knocked out of them by years of abuse, cruelty and over work. Just let them go; they will survive much better than the morons who are now out of a job.  

This is Thailand, and the Elephants will only be on a Holiday until the Tourists return.

As soon as the Tourists return, these poor creatures will be rounded up and exploited again to their full potential.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Trujillo said:

"Did you meant enslaved elephants?. ????"

Do you think all animals not in the wild are "enslaved"? 

Ban zoos! Free all the pets! Unleash your dog and push him out. Let them go back to nature. 

pets are domesticated animals not wild, Elephants are wild animals, not domesticated pets.  That is a whole world of difference.  As for zoos, yes, they should all be closed to anything but seriously endangered species that need ultimate protection if they are not to become extinct.  Even in that regard, Thailand has not shown itself capable of dealing with any animals in a humane and effective way.  

• Like 2

This happens every year. Not news. Tourists keep them busy up until March then they go home until October. Maybe a few more are doing the walk this year, but it isn't news.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BobBKK said:

150 kilo is a long, long way and food/water for the journey?  pity them

Yeah but his on his way to pick up his 5000 bht from government 

Lot of ignorant comments to this story.  While it doesn't surprise me, it is disappointing considering this is a "Thai forum" so I imagine most posters actually live here and know a little more about the captive elephant situation in Thailand.  I read horrendous things on Twitter but that is just a place for folk who know absolutely nothing about the complexities of this to virtue signal and put the world to rights in a self righteous echo chamber of Western savior ignorance.  Sadly, I see hardly any difference here.  Although, dare I say it, I expected a little better. 

This is a pretty desperate situation.  No - the elephants are not "slaves" who can just be freed "into the wild".  I expect those comments from folk in Alabama or Tunbridge Wells but not people who call Thailand home.  A bit of understanding and compassion would not go amiss.  There are amazing people in desperate circumstances doing their best for elephants right now.  Are all people good?  No.  Do I think those businesses who rented the elephants could be doing more to ensure the elephants and their mahouts are cared for now?  Absolutely. 

However, I know some of the mahouts caring for their elephants (yes THEIR elephants - they own them, care for them, and regard them as family), so to read some of the things written here is pretty depressing (good thing they do not have time to sit on forums all day - they have to actually take care of their elephants - which right now is unthinkably difficult).

For those who genuinely care, and would like to support some of these amazing people on the ground - and help work towards a sustainable future for them and their elephants, feel free to message me and I can share details of where your donation will go directly.  Hey, you may even get to speak to a mahout on the ground and tell them to "set their elephant free" - though get ready to be laughed at.     

16 minutes ago, brownrabbit said:

For those who genuinely care, and would like to support some of these amazing people on the ground - and help work towards a sustainable future for them and their elephants, feel free to message me and I can share details of where your donation will go directly.  Hey, you may even get to speak to a mahout on the ground and tell them to "set their elephant free" - though get ready to be laughed at.     

Went out to an Elephant camp yesterday, they were all in fine condition and seemed happy enough playing in the river.

Seemed to appreciate the bananas we bought for them.

the elephants are being led to Mae Chaem district, where local communities can help look after them

Who will pay the food to these poor elephants, the local communities or they will just look ?

Paying for the food - right now it is heavily dependent on donations - either food donations from farmers (though being the tail end of the dry/burning season - food could not be more scarce), or money to then fund the transport to try and get what food may be out there.  Which at times has proved fruitless.  What we hope to support is the renting of land so going forward - grasses can be grown and elephants and their carers can be fed.  Supporting locals, empowering them, supporting elephants.  It is the most logical way forward but easier said than done.  

3 minutes ago, brownrabbit said:

Paying for the food - right now it is heavily dependent on donations - either food donations from farmers (though being the tail end of the dry/burning season - food could not be more scarce), or money to then fund the transport to try and get what food may be out there.  Which at times has proved fruitless.  What we hope to support is the renting of land so going forward - grasses can be grown and elephants and their carers can be fed.  Supporting locals, empowering them, supporting elephants.  It is the most logical way forward but easier said than done.  

These elephants are not wild animals, they are dependent on feed support from humans now, they can not wait until land is going to be rented and the grass is growing up.

Small thai farmers in the mountains do not have much capacity to help the elephants, actually many farmers hate the elephants, when they go into the fields and destroy the farmer work.

Where do we have organized, corruption free, well driven donation systems for the poor elephants ?

1 minute ago, finnsk said:

These elephants are not wild animals, they are dependent on feed support from humans now, they can not wait until land is going to be rented and the grass is growing up.

Small thai farmers in the mountains do not have much capacity to help the elephants, actually many farmers hate the elephants, when they go into the fields and destroy the farmer work.

Where do we have organized, corruption free, well driven donation systems for the poor elephants ?

You are informed so it is good to read your thoughts.  Of course, food is needed right now.  Going forward - having land to grow grasses would help ensure the elephants continue to be fed.  Land needs to be acquired and time is needed for grass to grow.  The maths is here.  https://www.weeboon.com/en/campaign/sustainable-future-for-elephants-    There is even the opportunity to actually converse with some of those on the ground right now caring for their elephants - though obviously due to location and the demands of what they are doing this can be temperamental.  There are about 100 (yes 100!) elephants back around the village right now - including many bull elephants.  

7 minutes ago, brownrabbit said:

You are informed so it is good to read your thoughts.  Of course, food is needed right now.  Going forward - having land to grow grasses would help ensure the elephants continue to be fed.  Land needs to be acquired and time is needed for grass to grow.  The maths is here.  https://www.weeboon.com/en/campaign/sustainable-future-for-elephants-    There is even the opportunity to actually converse with some of those on the ground right now caring for their elephants - though obviously due to location and the demands of what they are doing this can be temperamental.  There are about 100 (yes 100!) elephants back around the village right now - including many bull elephants.  

I just took a fast look at your website, I will look more later, looks as a good job you are doing. 

4 minutes ago, finnsk said:

I just took a fast look at your website, I will look more later, looks as a good job you are doing. 

You're a good man.  Thank you for your informed opinions and open-minded attitude to a complex problem.  Like some exceptional elephant carers on the ground right now, you have the best interests of the elephants and their carers at heart.  

• Like 1

On 5/9/2020 at 10:49 PM, BritManToo said:

Went out to an Elephant camp yesterday, they were all in fine condition and seemed happy enough playing in the river.

Seemed to appreciate the bananas we bought for them.

Probably sick of working for peanuts!