Black and Pakistani people more likely to die from COVID-19 - UK data

snoop1130

Black and Pakistani people more likely to die from COVID-19 - UK data

download.jpg

LONDON (Reuters) - Black people and those of Bangladeshi and Pakistani ethnicity have a significantly higher chance of dying from COVID-19 than white people, even when adjusting for deprivation, the British statistics office said on Thursday.

Using models that adjusted for a range of socio-economic factors, the statistics office said it was clear that there were significant differences in the risk of COVID-19 among different ethnic groups.

"The risk of death involving the coronavirus (COVID-19) among some ethnic groups is significantly higher than that of those of white ethnicity," the Office for National Statistics said.

"People of Bangladeshi and Pakistani, Indian, and Mixed ethnicities also had statistically significant raised risk of death involving COVID-19 compared with those of white ethnicity."

Scientists studying the novel coronavirus caution that there were vast holes in their knowledge and cite striking differences in the death rates based on age, sex and ethnicity.

Genetics, they say, might hold many clues that could help eventually reveal a path to medicines or a vaccine that could treat the disease.

Without adjusting for a variety of factors including deprivation, education and health, the ONS found that black males were 4.2 times more likely to die from a COVID-19-related death and black females were 4.3 times more likely than white ethnicity males and females.

The adjusted model showed that black males and females were 1.9 times more likely to die from COVID-19 than the white ethnic group.

Males of Bangladeshi and Pakistani ethnicity are 1.8 times more likely to die, according to the adjusted model. Individuals from the Chinese and mixed ethnic group have similar risks to those with white ethnicity, the ONS said.

Data from the United States showed African Americans were more likely to die from COVID-19, highlighting longstanding disparities in health and inequalities in access to medical care.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-05-07

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

This has been reported for the past few weeks, I wonder how much of this is because its 'politically correct click baity wet dream' for the media.

The article states that they adjusted for 'various factors' - I wonder if those factors included the population density of areas, numbers of people per-household, initial general health etc.. minorities tend to live in poorer areas, have poorer health, have larger families etc... all politically sensitive subjects.

I wonder: If you had 10 White British People,  10 Bangladeshi's, 10 Indians, 10 Blacks, all born in the UK. All from the same sociolo-econiomic-educational demographic would there be any difference at all.

Of course, its possible that due to very slight differences in Genetics some races are more vulnerable to some viruses, equally so, due to very slight differences in Genetics some races may be far less vulnerable.

In summary, are some ethnic groups at greater risk because of socio-economic rather than biological factors? I'm not sure this has been looked at properly and the reporting is somewhat sensationalised.

Infection and death numbers all over the world seem to indicate differently.

Snoopy , you are really struggling  for topics .

I don't  log in , anymore ..

Clicks mean cash ..

Edited by elliss
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Definitely an interesting  question. What I note that is missing is that while comparisons  of  socio economic equivalence may be presented as  defensive evidence against  racial bias in mortality that  ethnic social behaviors and  lifestyle  may be a  factor? That and  the possibility  that due  to that there  may be an underlying propensity  for some ethnic/racial compromising factors  such as being Hepatitis B carriers which although never presenting  is a burden on the  immune system and is often associated eventually with  liver cancer?

In the opposite sense  but  relative  to the confusion  presented  by  contagion is the tale  of  " Typhoid Mary". https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3959940/

Edited by Dumbastheycome
pertinent maybe

Immigrants from the hotter regions probably have less specific immune defenses than the generations of natives who have been able to adapt to the wet, cold winter flu weather of the UK for a long time.

Northern Europeans experience a similar situation when they eat local food in India or Pakistan. The diarrhea comes quickly. The intestinal flora is just not adapted.

Edited by tomacht8
  • Like 1

It's probably more to do with poor general health and obesity than the virus being "racist". It's interesting to note that in Japan despite having the oldest population in the world, high population density, and no lockdown there hasn't been mass deaths. Japanese (and especially older Japanese) tend to eat healthier and obesity rates are low.

• Like 1

I wonder of the ONS modeling takes into account proportional risks of exposure to the virus.

I don’t recall the last time I took a taxi in the UK that was not driven by somebody of South Asian ethnicity. Cleaning staff in our UK office are nearly all African ethnicity, cleaning staff across the country are predominantly from ethnic minority groups.

GPs in deprived areas are predominantly South Asian ethnicity.

Look around the UK, people Black and South Asian ethnicity are far more over represented in occupations where they are driving people around, handling personal  baggage and goods, laundry and providing cleaning services.

Also keep in mind that up until at least April 18 the NHS were not systematically recording any data on the ethnicity of patients suffering COVID-19.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/18/failure-to-record-ethnicity-of-covid-19-victims-a-scandal-says-bma-chief

The UK has gathered just over three weeks of data on ethnicity and COVID-19 outcome.

It will be academia that performs the necessary broad discipline analysis to extract the underlying lessons to be learned.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Henryvee said:

In South Africa they have open parties with 1000s of black people dancing chanting CORONA CORONA , they say it’s the white peoples disease , they won’t get it , because only white people travel , that is the mentality .. still , 

South Africa’s black majority will go ballistic reading this article !

they can read?????

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Ketyo said:

It because they are muslim. They pray together in groups. They listen to their imams telling them lies about god will protect them and they can pray covid away and no need to listen to the government. 

From living in an African country with a sizeable muslim group ... this is what they do.

that and jumping around in groups chanting Corona Corona,happy that it will only kill white people .

I'm sure someone can put it more eloquently than me, but on the one hand, we are being presented with the propaganda that caring about the economy at the expense of human life is callous, and then that socio-economic factors DO play a role in health outcomes.  Does the economy effect health or not?  

On 5/7/2020 at 6:40 PM, richard_smith237 said:

This has been reported for the past few weeks, I wonder how much of this is because its 'politically correct click baity wet dream' for the media.

The article states that they adjusted for 'various factors' - I wonder if those factors included the population density of areas, numbers of people per-household, initial general health etc.. minorities tend to live in poorer areas, have poorer health, have larger families etc... all politically sensitive subjects.

I wonder: If you had 10 White British People,  10 Bangladeshi's, 10 Indians, 10 Blacks, all born in the UK. All from the same sociolo-econiomic-educational demographic would there be any difference at all.

Of course, its possible that due to very slight differences in Genetics some races are more vulnerable to some viruses, equally so, due to very slight differences in Genetics some races may be far less vulnerable.

In summary, are some ethnic groups at greater risk because of socio-economic rather than biological factors? I'm not sure this has been looked at properly and the reporting is somewhat sensationalised.

Easy to overlook probably the most significant cause. Behavior. Lots of pics on social media of massive crowds around UK mosques this Ramadam, sadly not covered by any credibe source news outlets, wonder why? But there is this admission -

More than 80 percent of NYPD arrests and fines issued between March 31 and May 5 for social distancing violations were to black and hispanic people.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8302427/81-374-NYPD-summonses-issued-March-31-5-black-hispanic-people.html

• Like 1

In this video by Dr Berg which is about getting Vitamin D and how it helps in covid cases, he touches on the fact that darker skin and melanin blocks absorbtion of Vitamin D.  It's at around 1:35 in the video.  Sounds plausible to me.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2020 at 6:26 PM, snoop1130 said:

Black people and those of Bangladeshi and Pakistani ethnicity have a significantly higher chance of dying from COVID-19 than white people

That's a shame, once this is all over we can see if there's some kind of reason behind it.

21 minutes ago, ukrules said:

That's a shame, once this is all over we can see if there's some kind of reason behind it.

There seems to be a few conundrums being thrown up by this virus - I read, for example, that smokers are less likely to be affected than non-smokers. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, steelepulse said:

In this video by Dr Berg which is about getting Vitamin D and how it helps in covid cases, he touches on the fact that darker skin and melanin blocks absorbtion of Vitamin D.  It's at around 1:35 in the video.  Sounds plausible to me.

I heard a black senior doctor saying the same thing on the radio. She's been calling for the government to run a campaign to promote vitamin D supplements for the black and Asian community. She believes the authorities won't do this for fear of stirring up anger in those communities, i.e. for suggesting those people are somehow physically inferior. 

• Confused 1

It is entirely possible that people of "BAME" backgrounds are more at risk as it has been proven that they are more at risk of things like diabetes etc. plus the receptors in the lungs are different in different races along with other stuff. However, the Leftwaffe like the BBC will love this as it can push their narrative along nicely claiming that such sections of society are under even more oppression and we should be pulling them from the front-line jobs in healthcare and just sending middle aged white males to do it as they are the real villains.

• Confused 1