Pattaya blocks all access to beaches to avoid second wave

snoop1130

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Pattaya blocks all access to beaches to avoid second wave

Seems prudent.  Where does the virus not survive.  Fresh air, sunshine, and warm temperatures.  Conclusion: close the beaches and keep people confined together in their homes. 

wave.JPG

Thailand has to be commended for having the covid situation more or less under control. Of course nobody knows the underlying infection rates, but not only in Thailand.

Any virologist, any epidemiologist will confirm that social distancing is the most important. It appears also a proven fact that the virus is less likely to survive in open spaces and direct UV light.  This said, I would love to receive an intelligent explanation for the reason behind closing the beaches, Instead people will walk 10 meters behind on the concrete walkways. This decision seems to me counter productive. Already now hardly any gatherings on the beach itself can be seen. People should rather take the advice of keeping social distance, regardless were they are.

The only thing missing from the shot of the strangely deserted Pattaya beach is King Canute. Has Thailand really seen off the virus with lockdowns, curfews and other draconian measures? Or, once restrictions are eased, will there be a second, even worse wave of deaths and infections?

The same question must be in the minds of citizens of the US, UK and other countries which have sacrificed their economies, civil liberties and an entire way of life in a bid to repel the invisible killer in their midst.

Scientists across the world remain divided on the best way to minimise the impact of COVID 19. Some are convinced that - with no vaccine on the near horizon - the virus will take roughly the same human toll, irrespective of all and any damage-limitation efforts.

Sweden is among 20 or so countries which have opted for a less authoritarian approach in order to preserve their economies and societal cohesion.

While taking precautions to protect the vulnerable elderly, the Swedes are allowing the virus to spread among the rest of the population to speed up the process of achieving herd immunity - historically the "cure" for all epidemics.

It will be fascinating to learn in a year or so's time which of these two contrasting strategies is likely to work best against future pandemics - which, experts warn, are inevitable.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mr Big said:

Thailand has to be commended for having the covid situation more or less under control. Of course nobody knows the underlying infection rates, but not only in Thailand.

Any virologist, any epidemiologist will confirm that social distancing is the most important. It appears also a proven fact that the virus is less likely to survive in open spaces and direct UV light.  This said, I would love to receive an intelligent explanation for the reason behind closing the beaches, Instead people will walk 10 meters behind on the concrete walkways. This decision seems to me counter productive. Already now hardly any gatherings on the beach itself can be seen. People should rather take the advice of keeping social distance, regardless were they are.

I agree.  My condo looks out on Pattaya Beach and in the time it has been open there have not been the mass gatherings you saw with beaches in California and Florida in the US.  Here and there you saw a couple sitting on the beach getting a bit of sun but for the most part it has just been people walking the beach getting some sun and exercise, most with masks on and everybody keeping a very safe distance except those walking as couples.   The beach is wide and long, there aren't that many people here right now, so what's the big deal?  If there's a concern, put the tourist police to work keeping an eye on things. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, connda said:

A certain class of bureaucratic imbeciles seem to believe that SARS-Cov-2 breeds in the sands of beaches. 

I doubt that very much. It is probably just much easier to administer closing the beaches, than getting people to use them 'safely'.......Look back to the early days of these measures where for many days people were grouping on the beach to eat and drink. It looked impossible to police.....

Sunshine and fresh air are the 2 best virus cures but somehow Thailand believes there will be a second wave by being at the beach. Anyone see that scientist who predicted doom and gloom in the UK with imposing shutdowns was proved 100% wrong. He was also having his married German girlfriend stay with him in England. Open up now Thailand to avert an economic disaster. The cycle of life and death will continue as always if your scared stay shuttered in your homes.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mikeasq60 said:

Anyone see that scientist who predicted doom and gloom in the UK with imposing shutdowns was proved 100% wrong.

Same guy responsible for us killing off our sheep and cattle years ago and more recently proved himself to be a hypocrite by ignoring his own 'rules' to cuckold some guy. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Wiggy said:

How can there be a second wave when the first was a mere ripple? 

wasn't a first wave in the UK,France,Italy and Spain. Always a chance of second time round.

To be sure the key to the lock down  be thrown away . Better to have a temporally lock down then forever lock down 6 foot under.

3 hours ago, Magenta408 said:

I don't understand the logic of banning people on beaches. Who is advising these people? 

Did you already see Pattaya beach ?

90% of people stay on lounge chairs in the upper part of the beach, near or under big umbrellas.

The beach is huge but all people gather in a narrow band, very near to each other.

So yes it make sense to me to ban this.

5UXMi79TEdiOBCZA2ihWmQRMCoEmzDSOMQYs0ENY

beach_chairs_Pattaya_Thailand.jpg

Edited by Pattaya46

50 minutes ago, Percy P said:

wasn't a first wave in the UK,France,Italy and Spain. Always a chance of second time round.

To be sure the key to the lock down  be thrown away . Better to have a temporally lock down then forever lock down 6 foot under.

Do you seriously believe if you get that virus you'll die?  I don't and I'm 62 yo reasonably healthy 

1 hour ago, Percy P said:

wasn't a first wave in the UK,France,Italy and Spain

No the first wave was in Wuhan China..something like 7000 tourist from Wuhan visited Thailand early this year..anyway for whatever reasons not many people have died from the Wuflu in Thailand (so far only 58 ?)

19 hours ago, jwdub said:

Some spot on analysis here. Please give it a go and report back.

Yes maybe Oldie can do a news report about he went to he beach in Pattaya and went to lockdown so we wouldn't have to  You know on the spot reporting..

If there where national parks in Pattaya, Jomtien then may be not so many people would head for the beach, oh no we need those spaces to build ugly Condos etc.  

2 hours ago, johng said:

No the first wave was in Wuhan China..something like 7000 tourist from Wuhan visited Thailand early this year..anyway for whatever reasons not many people have died from the Wuflu in Thailand (so far only 58 ?)

Which rather demonstrates that the Chinese tourists had almost zero effect on the figures, despite the repeated warnings from the TV experts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Did you already see Pattaya beach ?

90% of people stay on lounge chairs in the upper part of the beach, near or under big umbrellas.

The beach is huge but all people gather in a narrow band, very near to each other.

So yes it make sense to me to ban this.

5UXMi79TEdiOBCZA2ihWmQRMCoEmzDSOMQYs0ENY

beach_chairs_Pattaya_Thailand.jpg

Totally agree. WHY anyone want to sit on an uncomfortable bed covered in sweaty plastic, with sand in all orifi of your body, with an umbrella to stop the sun, look out over a flaoting toilet, and pay over the top for food & beer. Stay at home in front of your telly, with nice cold beer and food served hopefully, by a woman who (says she ) loves you.

I have not read a single post but am simply commenting on the headline...

STUPID POLICY...The heat kills coronavirus plus it is not an areal virus...I will not respond to any of the idiots I expect to hear from but there are many reports from many experts, not here, whom confirm this is simply the flu...For older folks and those with other issues it can be bad but what is killing people is the treatment and putting them on a ventilator...That excites the virus...Like a fire...But do your own research or just come on back with your expertise...

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1