Is it just wishful thinking or deluding themselves

banglay

19 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Sentence #4 - superb, peace and quiet, should see prices of everything drop in, what were, tourist spots.

You have to understand Thailand.

When there are NO tourists, the prices of everything increases to make up for the loss.

Thai Economics 101.

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, Leaver said:

"Then" you may have to decide if you would still like to continue to live here, or to holiday here.  

I already decided and it is NOT Thailand.

Thailand has nothing left to offer

• Like 1

Successful bars before will be successful again as long as the owner can ride out the low cash flow for many months. Loss making bars should have closed anyway.

I hope there will be at least a few good gogos that survive, Electric Blue, Dollhouse

• Like 2

On 5/8/2020 at 12:16 PM, BritManToo said:

You think a 7-11 doesn't pay rent/utilities/staff and don't forget the franchise fees.

7-11 appears to make a profit on it's alcohol sales ...... so no reason a bar can't selling at the same price.

The tits are more expensive at a bar then at 7/11, hence the mark up on alcohol.

Just now, Heppinger said:

The tits are more expensive at a bar then at 7/11, hence the mark up on alcohol.

Actually staff at 7-11 usually get paid more than bar staff.

The tits are only more expensive if you take them home, same as 7-11.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

You have to understand Thailand.

When there are NO tourists, the prices of everything increases to make up for the loss.

Thai Economics 101.

Take a walk around town and look at restaurants that have reopened, you might be surprised at how many are advertising generous discounts. The ones I have seen are in the main Thai owned establishments. 

Those that say Pattaya is finished are probably wrong - those that say it will get back to what it was like before are also probably wrong. The reality will be something in between.

Thai owned bars, restaurants and resorts which cater mostly to Thais will restart - the expat community sometimes does not realise how many Thai tourist parties come to Pattaya because they book out a whole small resort for a weekend, have BBQ and drink beer by the pool.

The medium sized bars and restaurants that mostly cater to the expats will resume - again it is sometimes surprising with the tales of woe and high baht exactly how many expat falang there are in Pattaya - some may have gone never to return but the vast majority have stayed and they will want again to frequent their favourite bars.

Some of the smaller bars on the side sois which only have a couple of customers per day will disappear - or be forced to close anyway as their landlords decide to refurbish the whole block.

Probably about 20% or 30% of the gogos will not reopen, but this was quite a saturated market anyway - those that rely more on the tourists may be hardest hit - the russian owned ones or the new Indian discos which had appeared at the end of walking street come to mind.'

Some people, including some on this forum, who think that Pattaya is only frequented by overseas sex tourists are wrong, in fact the tourist population in Pattaya is a lot more diverse than they think - and some of the highest spending tourists come on golf tours, eat in the better restaurants and (if they are the Japanese and Korean variety) spend their evening in karaoke rather than beer bars. I was always surprised when I put guests in the Dusit Thani at the quality of the girls showing up with the Japanese clients.

Pattaya will come back, maybe slightly different, maybe slightly chastened, but still with an eclectic mix of people - and that still makes it interesting 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, crobe said:

Thai owned bars, restaurants and resorts which cater mostly to Thais will restart - the expat community sometimes does not realise how many Thai tourist parties come to Pattaya because they book out a whole small resort for a weekend, have BBQ and drink beer by the pool.

You forgot all the establishments that are fronts for money laundering.

They'll be having full turnover from day 1 of the lock down ending.

On 5/8/2020 at 12:19 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

I made my friends at the bar. On line is too easy to fake it.

I never had a barbeer girl ask me for a drink. Try a better class of barbeer.

What's a better class barbeer? 

Edited by Kennycrossfit
Spelling

On 5/9/2020 at 9:10 PM, bwpage3 said:

Thailand is miraculously dreaming things will all return to normal at some point.

don't agree 

The powers that be IMO would rather re-purpose places like Pattaya - they hate what it stands for and would love to find a way to change it hence the recent negativity displayed towards western tourists and expats 

they would rather have the tourist model of the likes of Chinese - bus them in bus them around bus them to parks bus them to hotels bus bus bus like lemmings gouging as much money as possible while they do - ship them in and out in large groups - bussing them to establishments owned and run by local influential people who are making a fortune - easy money easy to organise 

Compare that to the average western tourist that doesn't comply - in places like pattaya they increased prices so much in places like walking trying to extract more money that western tourists have established other cheaper areas to frequent and they don't like it because they have little control over them 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, crobe said:

Those that say Pattaya is finished are probably wrong - those that say it will get back to what it was like before are also probably wrong. The reality will be something in between.

The medium sized bars and restaurants that mostly cater to the expats will resume - again it is sometimes surprising with the tales of woe and high baht exactly how many expat falang there are in Pattaya - some may have gone never to return but the vast majority have stayed and they will want again to frequent their favourite bars.

Some of the smaller bars on the side sois which only have a couple of customers per day will disappear - or be forced to close anyway as their landlords decide to refurbish the whole block.

Probably about 20% or 30% of the gogos will not reopen, but this was quite a saturated market anyway - those that rely more on the tourists may be hardest hit - the russian owned ones or the new Indian discos which had appeared at the end of walking street come to mind.'

Some people, including some on this forum, who think that Pattaya is only frequented by overseas sex tourists are wrong, in fact the tourist population in Pattaya is a lot more diverse than they think - and some of the highest spending tourists come on golf tours, eat in the better restaurants and (if they are the Japanese and Korean variety) spend their evening in karaoke rather than beer bars. I was always surprised when I put guests in the Dusit Thani at the quality of the girls showing up with the Japanese clients.

Pattaya will come back, maybe slightly different, maybe slightly chastened, but still with an eclectic mix of people - and that still makes it interesting 

Don't forget the Russian pioneers forging a new fashion trend using the brightest, high visibility fluorescent combination of as many colors as possible thrown together in a technocolor mish mash of psychedelic vomit.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Heppinger said:

That's how it began in Sihanoukville, Cambodia.  Until Chinese businessmen bought out all the Cambodian restaurants and accommodation, cutting the local Cambodians out of any revenue.

indeed

2 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

OMG, are you for real?

You should have been a policeman!!!

Well, I was SAS actually.  ????

Expat trade, alone, is not enough for most of the businesses here.    

7 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I would disagree with your characterisation of "most" businesses

Expat trade is not enough for some of the establishments in the main area of beach road/second road, or up the Naklua road, but there are many establishments here, especially on the dark side which are 90% expat.

The central area is also very dynamic and constantly being redeveloped and so the smaller sois and their bars are disappearing anyway - but the virus may accelerate the trend.

Anyone who has been in Pattaya for any number of years can reel off the tales of which bars and restaurants were there before they built Terminal 21, central beach and Hilton, or another Burger King, or Mcdonalds or Starbucks.

I think it will be interesting to see which businesses do disappear and what they are replaced with in the next 6-12 months

5 minutes ago, crobe said:

Expat trade is not enough for some of the establishments in the main area of beach road/second road, or up the Naklua road, but there are many establishments here, especially on the dark side which are 90% expat.

The central area is also very dynamic and constantly being redeveloped and so the smaller sois and their bars are disappearing anyway - but the virus may accelerate the trend.

Anyone who has been in Pattaya for any number of years can reel off the tales of which bars and restaurants were there before they built Terminal 21, central beach and Hilton, or another Burger King, or Mcdonalds or Starbucks.

I think it will be interesting to see which businesses do disappear and what they are replaced with in the next 6-12 months

I was obviously commenting on the CBD of Pattaya, being, Central Pattaya, not outlining areas.

There businesses that do disappear will be replaced by boarded up shop fronts, with For Sale and For Rent signs.  I expect we will see a lot of this in the next few months, and into next year.  

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Who said it's expats places i'm going to?

And i disagree, i'm sure there's several places that is 90% ( or more ) only expat customers.

7 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Who said it's expats places i'm going to?

And i disagree, i'm sure there's several places that is 90% ( or more ) only expat customers.

Really?  Walking Street, LK Metro, Soi Baukhao, Soi's 7 and 8, and Soi 6.  Beach Road and 2nd Road.  Only for expat customers?  I don't think so.  

1 hour ago, crobe said:

Who is eating at the Burger King's and McDonald's?

13 hours ago, Leaver said:

In Pattaya, if bars were open, I would expect the Expats to be in the cheap Buakhao places, and a few western owned bars. Be lucky if they could supply enough business for 5-10% of them. 

• Like 1