Is it just wishful thinking or deluding themselves

banglay

On 6/2/2020 at 7:09 PM, Leaver said:

The ones that were successful also have higher expenses, particularly rent.  There will be no tourists of any substantial numbers here for months, possibly 12 to 18 months. Would you work for 12 months to make a loss every month?  How many of these businesses will use their savings to operate at a loss for 12 months, and why should they?

Also, the time left on their leases will effect their decision.  What's the point at operating at a loss if you have to pay to renew your lease 12 or 18 months or 2 years from now?  That's more loss, on top of consistent monthly losses. The hole just gets deeper, and there is no newbie dreamer to dump it onto this time.  

There is a point where each business will know that without customers, or even minimal customers, for every month they operate at a loss, the money can not be recouped, thus making the losses compound to a point that even with many successful and profitable months, they are still behind.  

I wasn't saying they'd succeed immediately. In the context of the poster I was replying to, it is more the style of bar that will succeed than an individual business. An owner can give up a particular bar because of the lease ending etc and open another ( or the same place ) elsewhere when the tourists do return.

12 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I wasn't saying they'd succeed immediately. In the context of the poster I was replying to, it is more the style of bar that will succeed than an individual business. An owner can give up a particular bar because of the lease ending etc and open another ( or the same place ) elsewhere when the tourists do return.

I suspect there is quite a large demand for storage facilities at the moment, for the very reason you mention. 

Owners nearing the end of their lease, either looking for a cheaper premises, or looking to store their operation's equipment, have a break, and start up when it may be profitable to do so.   

As I have said in another thread, some of our favorite bars and restaurants may still be here, but at a different location.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I certainly do not need a one year visa to a place I don't want to be!

Cambodia is not my Plan B, but for many it was / is, particularly because of the easy long term visas there.