price discovery to rent a house in HH

ConsulZ

Hello,

i have long time this idea in my mind to move to HH. Now i start to check out some online real estate brokers, and also DDProperty, Bahtsold an so on.

I search for a quite house/villa with pool, in or close to HH. I am looking for a house with a bigger garden, like 400sqm up, so i not live wall to wall

with my neighbours. So far i found for some nice villas, for example "the lees Soi 88", "Mali prestige" and "Orcid palm Homes" interesting. The plots are looking spaceious, and i like the design of the villas. But of course i have to check out in real.

So i am not really professional with real estate. I only lived in condos and this will be the first time i rent a house, for sure there are many pitfalls, so i will be happy to get some advice from some members here. 

What i also struggle is the ratio from selling price to renting price. For example: there is The Villa XY. The asking price for rent per month with a 12 month contract is 40.000 THB.

On another website i see the same or similar Villa in the same project for selling for 6 mio THB (asking price). That would mean the yearly yield will be 8%, which seems a bit high. And i see this ratio with many other villas as well. I read in Bkk it is around 4 or 5% yield per year if you are lucky. If i use the same number for Villas in HH, the monthly rent should be around 25000 THB and not 40000 THB. Is that a realistic offer, or do i miss something? I just want to be prepared when it comes to negotiation.

If anyone can suggest a nice project with a big garden and pool in and around HH, please let me know

Thank you

I would suggest gou take a trip to Hua Hin. Rent a motorbike or a car look for signs FOR RENT it is much cheaper than using a real estate agent. Not impossible to find a house with pool for around 25000

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ConsulZ said:

If anyone can suggest a nice project with a big garden and pool in and around HH,

south of town is nice also. the Heights II on soi 156

https://goo.gl/maps/oijz16cmSKck7soy5

and in this area are examples:

https://goo.gl/maps/pKUQsMyFRHvH496w7

https://goo.gl/maps/CoqC86JNaekkzCu66

The drawback to these locations is the drive back to town. 

and on both sides of the road back to town from south look around. 

i would stay out of north Hua Hin unless you want to live in Black Mountain for golf but that is just me. There are two Villa markets now so it does not really matter.   

rent a scooter and drive around. think about where you shop for groceries or whatever. 

noise is of course a factor. the more towards town you are the nosier it gets at night.

• Like 1

You forget things like depreciation on furniture. Tenants who do not pay. And you will never be able to rent out something permanently. So your 8% is very optimistic.

2 hours ago, ConsulZ said:

The asking price for rent per month with a 12 month contract is 40.000 THB.

This is why they sit empty.

There's a house that's been 'for sale' for 8 million Baht next door to me for nearly 3 years now, it might have been worth 3.5 to 4 million but the idiots who bought it paid 5 million for it years ago, probably double what it was worth back then.

Now they want their profit ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

noise is of course a factor. the more towards town you are the nosier it gets at night.

Yes it's important also to be as far as possible from the railway

there are trains every days and nights and the noise can be really anonying

For the OP you said you was previously living in condos

you want now a big garden but be aware a big garden is a lot of work

(In Thailand with the climate all the greenery grows very quickly)

and a lot of money if you ask to someone to take care off it.

The same thing if you have a private swimming pool, your monthly costs

can be skyrocketing (Of course it doesn't matter if you have a comfortable budget)

On the choice of Hua Hin i recomand you to live here at least 1 month in a condo

and take your time to find a good location and a nice house for rent.

After one month you could also be sure you really want

to stay in Hua Hin all year long, it's a nice and quiet city, but on the long term it

can also be boring as hell, depends on what you want, your age, your activities 

and so on

Good luck

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 2

On 5/10/2020 at 7:41 PM, ConsulZ said:

ok, thank you to all..

I think the best idea then is to rent a cheap condo and motorbike for a few weeks in HH and drive around a bit and have a look around.. 

If you are interested in a very nice gated community some 10 mins south of HH and close to the best beach in HH please pm me. 

I am looking at the moment as well, the agents already say "don't worry about the price" giving an indication how overpriced most rents are. However, don't forget you get the property with furniture, tv's, kitchen appliances and usually the pool and garden maintenance is included in the rent. Also the owner pay 4 to 6 baht per square meter land for security and maintenance of the project. 

Pool plus garden are usually 2500/3000 baht per month, the project fee for 500 square meter between 2000 and 3000. 

So the owner already "loses" 4500 to 6000 baht per month of your rent for maintenance, factor in the furniture/tv's as well. If internet is included add another 700 baht per month. Cable tv, no idea, i never ask for it.

I look for the average asking price of the house when it's for sale, divide that by 240, add the above and that's your reasonable rent.

Example 7 million pool villa : 7.000.000 / 240 = 29.000 add 5.000 and you get 34.000 a month. When asking 40.000 you can make a reasonable offer of 30.000 and in the current corona times, i would open with 25k. There are so many houses, one is bound to agree to 25/30 when starting at 40/45

Sidenote on the 25k market : These are houses that can be bought new for around 2.5 to 4.5 million baht and although usually pretty ok, they can't quite match the L shaped pool homes with western standards

Good luck and maybe see you in 6 weeks as a neighbor somewhere. 

Edited by WhatsNext