U.S. coronavirus deaths exceed 75,000: Reuters tally

webfact

U.S. coronavirus deaths exceed 75,000: Reuters tally

By Lisa Shumaker

2020-05-07T193009Z_1_LYNXMPEG461ZQ_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-USA-NEW-YORK-SUBWAY.JPG

A worker wipes down surfaces as the MTA Subway closed overnight for cleaning and disinfecting during the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in the Brooklyn borough of New York City, U.S., May 7, 2020. REUTERS/Andrew Kelly

(Reuters) - U.S. deaths from the novel coronavirus topped 75,000 deaths on Thursday, according to a Reuters tally, after the White House shelved a step-by-step guide prepared by health officials to help states safely reopen.

Deaths in the United States, the epicenter of the global pandemic, have averaged 2,000 a day since mid-April despite efforts to slow the outbreak.

The death toll is higher than any fatalities from the seasonal flu going back to 1967 and represents more U.S. deaths than during the first 10 years of the AIDS epidemic, from 1981 to 1991.

U.S. cases are over 1.25 million as new infections continue to rise in many states, including Illinois, Maryland, Minnesota, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and Wisconsin, according to a Reuters tally and an analysis of historical data from the COVID Tracking Project. New York and New Jersey, the two states with the highest number of cases, have been experiencing declines in new positive cases in recent weeks.

Some health experts are predicting a resurgence in deaths later this summer as U.S. states lift stay-at-home orders and Americans begin eating out at restaurants and going to gyms again.

The White House shelved a step-by-step guide prepared by U.S. health officials to help states safely reopen mass transit and businesses closed by the coronavirus pandemic, an administration official said on Thursday. This report produced by Chris Dignam.

A University of Washington research model https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america often cited by White House officials earlier this week nearly doubled its projected U.S. death toll to over 134,000 by Aug. 4.

An internal Trump administration forecast predicted a surge in fatalities to 3,000 a day by the end of May.

States are eager to reopen due to surging unemployment rates. About 33.5 million people have filed claims for unemployment benefits since March 21, roughly 22.1% of the working-age population.

A 17-page document prepared by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention was shelved to avoid giving "overly prescriptive" guidance, said a member of President Donald Trump's White House task force.

(Writing by Lisa Shumaker; Additional reporting by Christine Chan in New York; Editing by Howard Goller)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-05-08

• Haha 1

A post with an invalid link has been removed:

15) Any links posted must lead to the website the link indicates. Links that are misleading or direct to a site different than the one indicated are not allowed.

11 hours ago, Tug said:

He’s shutting down the agency’s that model the expansion of the infections spread trying to keep us in the dark his valet tests positive he freaks out screaming at his staff to protect him but has absolutely no problem sending regular Americans into harms way pathetic is to weak of a word for this man come on November enough allready enough 

any day now he's gonna send the 247th panzer brigade to the eastern front to ensure victory by memorial day.

i won't link the youtube videos.  you can do that yourselves.  enjoy!

4 hours ago, xylophone said:

This article is an eye-opener and I urge all TVF members to read it as it shows what should have been done better…..

How did the world's most powerful country find itself in such a calamitous position?

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=12330741

there are many interesting articles out today.

can't be fake news, they're linked on drudge.

AP Exclusive: Docs show top WH officials buried CDC report

GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) — The decision to shelve detailed advice from the nation’s top disease control experts for reopening communities during the coronavirus pandemic came from the highest levels of the White House, according to internal government emails obtained by The Associated Press.

The files also show that after the AP reported Thursday that the guidance document had been buried, the Trump administration ordered key parts of it to be fast-tracked for approval.

The trove of emails show the nation’s top public health experts at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention spending weeks working on guidance to help the country deal with a public health emergency, only to see their work quashed by political appointees with little explanation.

https://apnews.com/9c4d5284ba4769d3b98aa05232201f88

Trump flouts coronavirus protocols as security experts warn of need to protect president from a lethal threat

Asked by a reporter whether he considered wearing a mask around a group of elderly people who are at a higher risk of the virus, Trump said no.

"I was very far away," he said. "I would have loved to have gone up and hugged them because they're great. I had a conversation with everyone but we were very far away. And the wind was blowing hard in such a direction that if the plague ever reached them, I'd be very surprised."

https://www.thehour.com/news/article/Trump-flouts-coronavirus-protocols-as-security-15258104.php

• Like 1

hmm...I thought all of this was a hoax that was going to magically vanish because the current US administration had everything under control as long as we got disinfectant in our lungs "for a good cleaning" and shined a flashlight up our butts...and if those damn 50 governors going in 50 different directions would just get it right while Trump is "The Nation's Cheerleader"...

Give me a G

Give me a O 

Give me a V

Give me...

ah screw it...

And so much of this could have been avoided had he acted quickly and decisively, and demonstrated the courage he always talks about, but never has possessed. The Native American saying " it is far easier to be brave, from a distance", almost seems like it was written for Trump. 

The world looks on with pity, despair and bewilderment, as the virus rages on in the US, and Trump gets his coveted #1 position. For all the wrong reasons. 

Don Donald. Moving America backwards at an alarming pace. Making sure the US loses it's remaining long earned prestige. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

And so much of this could have been avoided had he acted quickly and decisively, and demonstrated the courage he always talks about, but never has possessed. The Native American saying " it is far easier to be brave, from a distance", almost seems like it was written for Trump. 

The world looks on with pity, despair and bewilderment, as the virus rages on in the US, and Trump gets his coveted #1 position. For all the wrong reasons. 

Don Donald. Moving America backwards at an alarming pace. Making sure the US loses it's remaining long earned prestige. 

Total tosh..................????

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

A post using content from an unapproved YouTube source has been removed:

18) Social Media content is not to be used as  source material unless it is from a recognized or approved news media source,  the source of any such material (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube  etc.) should always be shown.

An off topic post about the UK has been removed as well as a reply. 

30 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Right on point. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, candide said:

I particularly enjoy his last sentence!????

I think he's preparing to declare "victory" and "job well done" again when the U.S. death toll hits 100,000...  :ph34r:

Which at the rate things are currently going, should be in about two weeks from now (given the current rate of about 2,000 U.S. deaths per day).

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I think he's preparing to declare "victory" and "job well done" again when the U.S. death toll hits 100,000...  :ph34r:

Which at the rate things are currently going, should be in about two weeks from now (given the current rate of about 2,000 U.S. deaths per day).

that's the current rate.

now factor in liberating and reopening each state.

Some health experts are predicting a resurgence in deaths later this summer as U.S. states lift stay-at-home orders and Americans begin eating out at restaurants and going to gyms again.

Edited by ChouDoufu

Laughable that the partisans in this thread blame Trump for New York's abject failure at managing Coronavirus. 

Its becoming clearer by the day at how the state fails to manage its resources putting people in harms way, accounting for a massive portion of overall US deaths. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1