It was only open for one day! Mayor bemoans visitors who left Bang Saen beach covered in trash

webfact

I think someone was a bit late taking a photo. I can clearly see further away from the water there are tyre marks and there is no rubbish on the beach. So logically it appears that this section had already been cleaned. Oh and the mayor complained about his compatriots, and even named the beach traders, so no anti falang message in there at all. So rry to spoil a good rant.

Cheers

On 5/8/2020 at 10:18 AM, OnTheGround said:

Im sure 99% of the visitors to Bang Saen beach, was thai people

Can't blame the foreigners, meaning this article will not be in naew na.

Where did he even mention foreigners, people just want to get on the poor little me bandwagon.

Bang Saen beach has been and always be will be a filthy dump that's downwind and down current....there is no short term solution and has nothing whatsoever to do with being open or not. It's a south facing beach with prevailing winds and currents out of the south as well as Thai litter freaks. Put the out of work Thai people cleaning the beaches and roads for a fair wage....Radical concept I know...

• Like 1

On 5/8/2020 at 10:09 AM, webfact said:
Most of the mayor's anger was directed against traders who he said talked about wanting a clean beach but who didn't clear up after themselves.

Some had attended training but went back to their old littering ways.

Some ignore this fact that traders on the beach was to blame, according to the mayor.

At the end he also talks about the trash from the sea, as additional contributor.

On 5/8/2020 at 10:18 AM, OnTheGround said:

Im sure 99% of the visitors to Bang Saen beach, was thai people

Can't blame the foreigners, meaning this article will not be in naew na.

I'm gonna add it to my Dirty Thailand Facebook page. 

On 5/8/2020 at 10:24 AM, andre47 said:

This trash was washed from the sea. It was not thrown to this beach. The ocean is full of trash. Sometimes the current wash it to the beach.

Exactly, and instead of constantly whining about this, employ permanent beach cleaners that start cleaning at 5 am every morning. There are plenty of unemployed people right now that would appreciate the work.

It doesn't matter how many people you fine, the washed up trash won't disappear entirely. Even if the washed up trash was 5% of its current level, beach cleaners are still necessary if you want a clean beach.

On 5/8/2020 at 10:24 AM, andre47 said:

This trash was washed from the sea. It was not thrown to this beach. The ocean is full of trash. Sometimes the current wash it to the beach.

And all the ocean nearby is THAILAND. 

• Like 1

On 5/8/2020 at 8:21 PM, impulse said:

The biggest problem is that there's no place they can throw their trash that guarantees it won't end up there anyway.  It's cheaper for a waste management company to dump their trucks into a klong than a proper landfill.  Brown envelopes and corrupt waste management contracts make that the preferred method in many places.  That trash may have floated in from hundreds of km away.  And not just from Thailand and Thai registered vessels.

Much of the trash on Hat Bang Saen is the result of ships headed to Laem Chabang dumping garbage before reaching port.

Vendors and beach goers contribute as well.

Rarely is a white face seen on the beach here.

7 hours ago, bangsaenguy said:
On 5/8/2020 at 8:21 AM, impulse said:

The biggest problem is that there's no place they can throw their trash that guarantees it won't end up there anyway.  It's cheaper for a waste management company to dump their trucks into a klong than a proper landfill.  Brown envelopes and corrupt waste management contracts make that the preferred method in many places.  That trash may have floated in from hundreds of km away.  And not just from Thailand and Thai registered vessels.

Much of the trash on Hat Bang Saen is the result of ships headed to Laem Chabang dumping garbage before reaching port.

Vendors and beach goers contribute as well.

Rarely is a white face seen on the beach here.

I don't understand the focus on pointing the finger, as opposed to acknowledging the problem and just cleaning it up.  There are deserted islands 1000's of miles from the nearest beach vendor that have spoiled beaches from trash washing up.  No amount of finger pointing is going to clean those beaches.  Maybe the mayor can reduce the trash by identifying the local culprits and shutting them down, but good luck with that.  It's an international problem.

The beaches are still going to receive a tidal dose of trash, day in and day out.  So does Songkhla, with Samila Beach.  But they appreciate that their livelihood depends on clean beaches for the tourists.  (Full disclosure, a lot of Songkhla's money comes from multi-national oil companies operating out of the ports and jetties there, but it's great to see they invest at least some of that money into maintaining the tourism resource)  It's a shame that they don't get much western tourism because of the reports of insurgent violence, which really doesn't affect the city itself or the beaches. 

It's one of my favorite beach getaways in Thailand, meaning I vote with my feet and with my wallet for destinations that care for the resource.  Which, it appears, many destinations in Thailand don't comprehend.  Or maybe too many tourists are willing to support trash dumps because there's cheap beer, wild parties, and easy sex to offset the horrible beaches.

Samila Beach Cleaner Small.jpg

Edited by impulse
  • Thanks 1