It was only open for one day! Mayor bemoans visitors who left Bang Saen beach covered in trash

webfact

6 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Some people (Thais) on the Mayor's Facebook have also noted that it is garbage washed up from the ocean. Some say it's from the boats offshore and some say it's from villagers driving along a pier and throwing their trash in the water.

It should have been plainly obvious from the beginning that it wasn't trash from "vendors" after just a single day but you know politicians. Stick their foot in their mouth today, see the feedback, then blame someone else the next day.
(Or find a new bandwagon to jump on and hope it distracts everyone from what you said before.)

Note that in other photos of the area on the Mayor's facebook page, there is a TINY amount of trash shown in other places. Like an empty water bottle in a gutter, and empty plastic cup in a bag in another, a small white bag of trash on the edge of a walkway. In a dozen photos I saw enough to maybe fill a small garbage bag. And that's if you include the (ceramic pot they burn coal in and then cook on top of - not sure the proper name for that).

Then of course is the pics of the long line of garbage at the high tide mark.

You still must ask the question, where did all that trash come from?  The foreigners living in a different country?

I think the mayor still has a point and it is refreshing to hear a Thai with some authority not afraid to say what he thinks. I see loads

of Thai in my town, throw the rubbish on the ground even though there are rubbish bins near by.  Do people feel it is not

their job to pick up after themselves?

Edited by bstafford214

Invest in some beach cleaning equipment like they have on the Gold Coast,gets done every morning by one person. Definitely go ahead and put rubbish catchers at the creeks leading to the beach. Oh and put some of those things they call rubbish bins at the beaches,I don’t mean one every 2 kms. But it does go to show that it isn’t all the filthy foreigners contributing to this <deleted>. Put some signs up that leaving rubbish behind will result in a 1000 baht fine, I am sure your officers would make a fortune. At least pay their wages and put some left over money into beautification projects. Oh here I go again,forgetting where I am. 

6 hours ago, JWRC said:

I don't know this beach but a lot of that rubbish looks like it has been washed up by the tide. However I do have a question, are rubbish bins available anywhere? I live in a different province, but there are no rubbish bins to be found anywhere, not even in shopping malls, so just where are folks supposed to put rubbish. 

In Thailand you wander around for an hour clutching your rubbish looking for a rubbish bin. But there are ATMs everywhere!

In Australia you can wander around for an hour looking for an ATM. But there are rubbish bins everywhere!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

but but but how can this be!

all the farang tourists are gone. 

I noticed I often see your posts on the first page of many of the news. I'm just curious. Are you actually spending hours each day on TV trying to be among the first ones to post a comment to get likes?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, andre47 said:

This trash was washed from the sea. It was not thrown to this beach. The ocean is full of trash. Sometimes the current wash it to the beach.

anyone looking at the photo can see you are absolutely right. its all old worn down trash washed up at the beach.

sad to see, not unsurprisingly, that this is yet another thread ridiculing and insulting Thai ppl.

As for the mayor, he probably wants an excuse to get rid of the street vendors, just like they did in Bkk, and makes up some phoney reasons.

Not only Thais, many years ago I came across 30 or 40  2 liter plastic containers which had been slashed open littered on a cornish beach, the labels on them.....'only for use on HM Submarines,' probably pumped out at sea.

7 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

but but but how can this be!

all the farang tourists are gone. 

you sound like a bloody farang tourist to me, the type that stays in Thailand for many years, even marries a Thai woman, yet always stays the farang tourist not making the tiniestbit of effort to understand and integrate in yr new country.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Most of the mayor's anger was directed against traders who he said talked about wanting a clean beach but who didn't clear up after themselves.

Looking inwards... wow I never thought Id see the day.

1 hour ago, Sharp said:

That's the rubbish that's been washed up over night 

No no no.  The mayor has it right.  Evil beach goers all sit at the high-water mark on the beach and throw garbage in straight lines approximately 2 meters wide, and then after they finish their littering, they run off and disappear leaving straight lines of garbage for kilometers.  Actually, it's probably those criminal farangs.  Bang Saen needs to start the deportations asap!!!  And all beaches need to be closed - forever.  Fun is now outlawed.  What? Do you think this is a holiday???  Everyone - back to your hovels.

Edited by connda
  • Haha 1

staff trying to clear up using a backhoe

The reporter needs to upgrade his knowledge of equipment.  That is a front-end loader not a backhoe

trash that blows in off the sea

Again, the reporter needs to improve his language skills.  Garbage does not blow in off or from the sea, it is washed ashore and is left when the tide recedes.

'nuf sed

Often the trash comes down canals and into rivers that lead to the sea and the tide brings it back to the beach. 

Edited by Purdey
Typo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, wotsdermatter said:
9 hours ago, webfact said:

staff trying to clear up using a backhoe

The reporter needs to upgrade his knowledge of equipment.  That is a front-end loader not a backhoe

9 hours ago, webfact said:

trash that blows in off the sea

Again, the reporter needs to improve his language skills.  Garbage does not blow in off or from the sea, it is washed ashore and is left when the tide recedes.

'nuf sed

It's quite possible the reporter got it perfect.  Then the translator got ahold of it...

9 hours ago, andre47 said:

This trash was washed from the sea. It was not thrown to this beach. The ocean is full of trash. Sometimes the current wash it to the beach.

Sea or not sea doesn't make any difference, it's trash that people mostly Thai people have thrown there. Simple.

You have only got to look at Jomtien beach after the weekend , trash everywhere. And the new prom is ruined by food stains, even Thais bringing their BBQs. You can hardly walk on it evenings. People go home  in their music blasting pickups and leave their rubbish right there. Disgusting.

1 minute ago, hsovereign said:

Sea or not sea doesn't make any difference, it's trash that people mostly Thai people have thrown there. Simple.

The biggest problem is that there's no place they can throw their trash that guarantees it won't end up there anyway.  It's cheaper for a waste management company to dump their trucks into a klong than a proper landfill.  Brown envelopes and corrupt waste management contracts make that the preferred method in many places.  That trash may have floated in from hundreds of km away.  And not just from Thailand and Thai registered vessels.

• Like 1

Just look how much trash is in the Chayo Praya River in BKK.  This guy is onto something.   The klongs are trash bins. But how far away from the coast will he be concerned with?  Proper  litter  control needs to be taught in schools  now!  Just look at 90% of thai peoples yards.  Just look at how trash is just placed on the sidewalk in BKK.  3rd world minds in a wanna be  country  full of lazy people.  

Edited by Elkski
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sitti said:

I noticed I often see your posts on the first page of many of the news. I'm just curious. Are you actually spending hours each day on TV trying to be among the first ones to post a comment to get likes?

my staff does it for me. 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, bodga said:

It's very easy to understand, many Thais  are  simply bone idle, can't  park  unless it's  right outside a  shop, don't  care if  double  parked and will want to get into a fight if it's  mentioned, when all else  fails they'll resort  to telling you they are  poor.

LAZY nothing  more.

They're sparkplugs compared to Gulf Arabs. Parking? Makes Thailand look like social-distancing parking. In supermarkets at the checkout counter, Saudis just leave the empty cart (trolley) behind them blocking the aisle, so the shopper in line behind them has to move it!