Will gravity be enough in itself?

Greetings fellow farmers and gardeners. The situation is this. I have 4 strips of land approx 300 metres long each, the width of each is 4 metres. I intend to plant bananas down the strips, flanked by various trees, plants and herbs.

I want to water these with mini sprinklers approx 1 metre above the ground.

To power these, I'm building  a water tower at the top of the field. This will be 5 or 6 metres in height and supplied by a submersible pump in the bore well.

Assuming I only open the valve on one strip of land at a time, does anyone know if gravity could power approx  75 mini sprinklers ( assuming 1 every 4 metres)?!

Thanking any informed posters in advance.

I've made a similar system from a

well on a hill which gives me 1 bar

but I can only use drippers which

I leave on, unless its raining.

You might consider large bore delivery

to the drippers.

• Like 1

Why not use the pump to pump water to the tower to pump to the trees straight away?

I think a tower is very old fashioned and imo a few solar panels and a dc pump will do the job for you.

You could also dig a trench in the middle of your land strips and pump water in there,will save a lot of

piping and much easier to work with.Need pretty level land for this to work.

Al depends of course how far along your tower is already,i would guess building a tower like that can be

a lot of work and cost a lot.

No need to store water if you have a good well.

On 5/8/2020 at 7:48 PM, Tagged said:

Have you trought about drip watering system?

I do that now and gravity feed works perfect for less than one bar pressure. My thanks os from 30 cm to 6 meter elevated from top to bottom. 

751C8DD7-00AC-4944-9792-94A67D003680.jpeg

0E9D454C-E71F-4BE7-A90D-6550B255D7ED.jpeg

31832655-2955-411B-8BF7-2D6E4155D060.jpeg

93F3975E-6582-4EA5-9332-9B432484C8A5.jpeg

That's some beautiful country you have there, may i ask as to what region of Thailand this is?

What a wonderful selection of information, thank you to all who have replied.
( Involved in farming since the early 60's, UK and other countries including desert areas.  Unfortunately now retired ).

Good luck to the OP, I am sure you will get it sorted.

On 5/8/2020 at 4:48 PM, Tagged said:

Have you trought about drip watering system?

I do that now and gravity feed works perfect for less than one bar pressure. My thanks os from 30 cm to 6 meter elevated from top to bottom. 

751C8DD7-00AC-4944-9792-94A67D003680.jpeg

0E9D454C-E71F-4BE7-A90D-6550B255D7ED.jpeg

31832655-2955-411B-8BF7-2D6E4155D060.jpeg

93F3975E-6582-4EA5-9332-9B432484C8A5.jpeg

Fill those HDPE caged tanks up with some H2O and let it run for 24 hours, then see what you got . Looks good to me ✌️????

1 hour ago, IsaanAussie said:

Where did you get the ATV trailer? What did it cost? 

Mine 32 000,- at http://www.thaiatvsales.com

Have David who speak english to deal with. 

Some few chiches they have, and so far very happy with my trailer even the price is a bit high, but good quality!

0F164C71-A4C4-473D-B5EF-D1D312ED18A7.jpeg

4CA1E5BE-712F-4CBB-A164-A3E076FF5797.jpeg

08229EDB-1B4F-4806-84BB-92584492F7CE.jpeg

60C8C0AA-24A0-4F72-A5C0-4061DC4830BC.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for posting the details. Too rich for me. Looks like I will be making my own. My ATV is only 150cc and I was quoted 15K for a trailer to suit. I want to use it as a boom spray as well as a mobile solar panel and other equipment unit. 

• Like 1

Thanks for posting the details. Too rich for me. Looks like I will be making my own. My ATV is only 150cc and I was quoted 15K for a trailer to suit. I want to use it as a boom spray as well as a mobile solar panel and other equipment unit. 

The last one there is 16k I think 

This is the one I was quoted 15K for. Second picture is our little ATV. First I need to find a tank for the spray system. ATV rated to tow 300 kg, so ideally about 250 litre tank. 1339092203_klionatvwithtrailer.jpg.70fdf0a1fcf8eeec487b07fe9b2683f4.jpg

ATV Sawat.jpg

Just a blue drum will do the jobb? Less volum, less fluid moving while driving. Great tool for fam theese atv’s 

Especially when no roads to access the land except small bumpy trials.

Just now, Tagged said:

Just a blue drum will do the jobb? Less volum, less fluid moving while driving.

A 200 litre drum would do the job. I would prefer to get a flat tank to get the CofG down as low as possible. I have seen them here, they are usually just rotary moulded with a high percentage of reground plastic and not that expensive. 

God, I am getting old! They probably 3D print the damn things to exactly what you want these days.........

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, IsaanAussie said:

A 200 litre drum would do the job. I would prefer to get a flat tank to get the CofG down as low as possible. I have seen them here, they are usually just rotary moulded with a high percentage of reground plastic and not that expensive. 

God, I am getting old! They probably 3D print the damn things to exactly what you want these days.........

That was a good idea, 

I only had my eye for the ibc containers around here, but there is loads of used plastic tanks everywhere you go, so shouldnt be hard to find something proper. 

Just now, Tagged said:

I only had my eye for the ibc containers

Probably what I will use. Have the ability to overload if the conditions allow and to gauge volume ratios, maybe more importantly they have larger size drains etc.. and they come with their own "roll cage".

Edited by IsaanAussie