Pattaya beach-goers threatened with 100,000 baht fines and imprisonment

webfact

15 hours ago, redwood1 said:

And if you boys and girls dont follow orders we may extend the beach ban longer as punishment....

And get your haircut while you’re at it, short back and sides for boys and a off the collar for girls

• Haha 1

Often seems to me there is an inverse relationship between size of threatened punishment and lack of police around to enforce these new rules. 100,000 baht and 2 cops just talking to each other for length of Jomtien beach.

But hey, it's hot season, walking can bring up a sweat, and exercise just isn't part of the job. A 500 baht fine actually enforced would get the job done... whatever the job is...

I've seen plenty of groups, no social distancing or masks, sitting on the wall between upper and lower sidewalks in Jomtien.

I guess cops don't need masks, as they have heads up their backsides, which offers protection

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

Ironic to say the least, but they've cordoned off the entire length of Jomtien beach with nasty plastic SOC tape. As it's around 5 miles (9 km) from Pattaya Park in the north to the Loong Sawai seafood restaurant at the creek in the south, they must have used something like 15 miles (27 km) of the plastic tape. And all this on a beach with large signs saying it's a "zero waste" beach and a gigantic plastic turtle in the middle to show the evils of plastic waste. And why? Hardly anyone other than a few clam diggers and the occasional couple sitting under a tree was ever on the beach during the afternoon when I go for my walk. The closure message had got through to 99.9% of people, there was no need for this extra measure. All it will end up doing is creating 15 miles (and probably even more km!!!) of plastic trash that will blow everywhere in the strong sea breezes. Not Pattaya City Hall's finest idea, that's certain, and simply unnecessary.

IMG_20200508_174505.thumb.jpg.f74e890148b377633e6b856e85d0aebe.jpg

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

It is absolutely not understandable that kilometers of beaches are blocked under draconian threats of punishment, while markets of all kinds are open and freely accessible!  Should someone explain the logic behind it to me.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

I am curious if Thais have to pay this too. I guess not because they will say "I can´t understand the English sign".

or Thai "me thinks: written in English so for English- reading people only"

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Why only in English ? 

Simple....!   ...That is where they like the "fines money " coming  from 

Edited by david555
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, webfact said:

On Friday morning, an operation overseen by the mayor of Pattaya Sonthaya Khunpluem, saw barriers and signs put up declaring the beach off limits.

Should have done that from day 1 and saved all the confusion.

I like seeing these tapes, as it wure is a sign that Tourism is not wanted this month.

Good advertizing Thailand. Good luck for your future efforts.  Greast job guys!

555, just being sarcastic.

Geezer

• Like 2

Not sure about their rules,the smoking signs in Pattaya have been there for sometime, however many were ignoring it and openly smoking on the beach, burying their buts in the sand, and that's right opposite the cop shop!.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GaryAdriaenssens said:

Do these "hot shots" really know we're (the common sense person..) all laughing with them? Bunch of clowns.

Yes, they know who the idiots are who publish ridiculous posts.

Problem is,we are all tarred with the same brush!

Somehow I like the beach ban here in Central Pattaya. Finally I can walk on the Beach Road without prostitutes hanging around there and asking me if I want to use their services. No ladyboy wants to hug me either. Good that this open air brothel is closed at the moment - there are still some hanging around but far less than normally. 

Do not understand the logic .cannot go on the beach but can go on the promenade. Why is the sign only in english. Does this mean that thais do not get fined . are they saying that the beaches are so filthy and hold all sorts of diseases. i thought they were going to lift lots of the restrictions / Where i live everybody is out and about on the beach and 100s of thais together getting free handouts no social distancing. some restaurants open with people sitting inside. do different provinces  have different rules  .    

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, Sujo said:

And the sign is wrong. It should be may be, not will be imprisoned. Its not up to police or council to decide.

Are you sure ?  the cops & council have some mighty Powerful individuals.

• Haha 2