Eat to boost immunity, protect lungs, says doctor

snoop1130

Eat to boost immunity, protect lungs, says doctor

By The Nation

800_0932d6f3a7eef83.jpg

With the Covid-19 outbreak still not under complete control, people are being advised to start consuming fruits and vegetables that are packed with antioxidants to boost their immunity.

Dr Sanphong Ritthaksa, deputy director-general of the Department of Thai Traditional and Alternative Medicine, said people should now “eat like Thais in the new normal”.

According to him, vegetables and fruits can be divided into three categories – those that boost the immunity, offer antioxidants and those that protect the body from respiratory infections.

He said the best vegetable for boosting immunity is the mushroom, which can be added to many dishes, such as tom yum, or turned into separate dishes like salad or stir fry. The best mushrooms are straw, shiitake, lingzhi and orychi.

Vegetables that are packed full of antioxidants include kale, Liang leaves, basil and gourd, which can be added to curries and stir-fries.

Meanwhile, veggies that strengthen the respiratory system are those that contain quercetin, which helps fight free radicals and reduces inflammation, such as shallots, turmeric, galangal and lemongrass, which can be added to anything from omelettes to curries.

The doctor also advised the consumption of fruits that are high in vitamin C, such as orange, lemon, guava, apple or mango. He also said tea from butterfly pea as well as the juice of orange and lime are good vitamin C sources.

He also advised people to opt for traditional medicines as well as work on easing their stress by saying prayers, meditating or exercising. The department has released the “Thai to Happiness” YouTube video offering lessons in traditional physical and breathing exercises.

He also advised people to grow vegetables at home, especially those that take up less space and are easy to take care of, as this will also help cut down on food bills.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/lifestyle/30387526

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-08

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, zeamonkey said:

You absolute clowns closed my local market where i shopped my healthy food. Feels more like you want us sick and weak.

5am-11am at mine. More people than usual. Empty heads running the show. This is Thai logic in action.

7 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I've eaten like this for many years and my Thai wife well understands the benefits of such food. Nowadays we often eat 'field to plate' with fruit and vegetables coming straight from the farm to our front door.

And hey guess what, I never get sick. I've not had a cold or flu for as long as I can remember. The items not mentioned by Dr. Ritthaksa that I would recommend are onions, garlic and ginger. They're in my diet daily.

And who remembers that old saying? An apple a day keeps the doctor away'.

I've never had the flu. Colds yes, but not the flu. Drink, smoke, eat both healthy and unhealthy. Overweight I am not. An ol' codger doin' ok. As for ginger does ginger beer count?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I have been drinking booze most of my life. Along with zero fruit and not the best diet in the world. Never been to a hospital in my live apart to set broken bones. Well into 60,s.

What's the point of diet advice in Thai visa. What's that guy's name Pretican.

?

Or Google James Hunt. Drove cars.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Or Google James Hunt. Drove cars.

Who died quite young after a somewhat hedonistic lifestyle from memory - so what is your point?

• Like 1

Getting sufficient Vitamin D also good for your immune system. Somewhere I read that 2x half hour periods in full sun between 10am and 4pm is as good as taking (moderately expensive) supplement tablets. I take my shirt off now when going out to do short tasks in the garden/pool. Only for 10 minutes a time and probably accumulates to a couple of hours a week - I don't want skin cancer!

17 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I've eaten like this for many years and my Thai wife well understands the benefits of such food. Nowadays we often eat 'field to plate' with fruit and vegetables coming straight from the farm to our front door.

And hey guess what, I never get sick. I've not had a cold or flu for as long as I can remember. The items not mentioned by Dr. Ritthaksa that I would recommend are onions, garlic and ginger. They're in my diet daily.

There are many reasons why you might not get the flu or colds. One may be that you are living on a farm and do not get exposed to such viruses. If so, when eventually you do get the flu (only a matter of time), your body will not be prepared for it and it could be a nasty dose.

Vitamin D seems to be the thing, would explain why Europe is suffering so badly, and the minorities, and the care homes. But as some guy said, it all correlation and not necessarily causation. Personally, i'm getting lots of fresh air, sunshine, and multiple colour vegetables. Just hope I don't die of skin cancer.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Proboscis said:

There are many reasons why you might not get the flu or colds. One may be that you are living on a farm and do not get exposed to such viruses. If so, when eventually you do get the flu (only a matter of time), your body will not be prepared for it and it could be a nasty dose.

I live in a village, not on a farm. But that hasn't always been the case. I've lived in many different environments in a number of different countries.

It's always been the same with me, no matter where I am. I always seem able to brush aside any pathogens that are doing the rounds at the time. I cannot recall ever having the flu.

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

With the Covid-19 outbreak still not under complete control, people are being advised to start consuming fruits and vegetables that are packed with antioxidants to boost their immunity.

I'll wait for the ban on the 3 deadly sprays first.

800_0932d6f3a7eef83.jpg.50fb18c6be992b696b7ff30fefcb3d86.jpg

16 minutes ago, nausea said:

Vitamin D seems to be the thing, would explain why Europe is suffering so badly, and the minorities, and the care homes. But as some guy said, it all correlation and not necessarily causation. Personally, i'm getting lots of fresh air, sunshine, and multiple colour vegetables. Just hope I don't die of skin cancer.

Yes - perhaps Vit D is one of the Thai saviours!

https://aru.ac.uk/news/vitamin-d-linked-to-low-virus-death-rate-study