Lawyer calls for suspension of police allegedly involved in kidnapping for ransom

rooster59

Lawyer calls for suspension of police allegedly involved in kidnapping for ransom

By THE NATION

800_b38723304623ca2.jpg

Atchariya (File Photo)

Fifteen victims of a kidnapping gang, that allegedly includes police officers, gave their statements to Klongdan Police Station in Samut Prakarn province on Friday (May 8).

Atchariya Reungrattanaphong, lawyer and president of Crime Victim Assistance Association, said, “The victims reached out to the association after they had been kidnapped by a gang comprising six police officers and four civilians,” he said. “I have informed National Police Chief Pol General Jakthip Chaichinda about the incidents and urged him to have the accused officers suspended from duty until the investigation is complete.”

One of the victims, Nanthawat Op-orm, 36, said that he was stopped by a group of policemen while driving from Rayong to Bangphlee district in Samut Prakarn. “They searched my car but found nothing illegal, after which they brought me, my wife and our three children to a football stadium,” he said. “They tortured me and my wife, threatening to press a drug charge, and demanded that I gave them Bt100,000 in exchange for my family’s freedom.”

“Since I didn’t have the money, they locked the five of us in two rooms in a resort on Sukhumvit Road,” he added. “Two days later, they let us go after I managed to find Bt52,500 and gave it to them.”

Atchariya added that the gang has been active in Bangbo district of Samut Prakarn and Bangpakong district of Chachoengsao province, where they used the resort on Sukhumvit Road as their base.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30387562

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-09

• Sad 10

5 hours ago, saakura said:

Absolutely shameful and this is not the first instance of police gangs kidnapping for ransom. Now they have become bold enough to kidnap an entire family including 3 young children. How can citizens feel safe? Becoming more and more lawless by the day.

A few years ago they also kidnapped a japanese businessman who went to another police station and got help there. After that i haven't heard anything about it..

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Youlike said:

A few years ago they also kidnapped a japanese businessman who went to another police station and got help there. After that i haven't heard anything about it..

...Nor heard about him either?

4 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

whats the point of being a Thai policeman if you can't kidnap families and pimp out underage girls? 

...you do not understand. That is the point of being a Thai policeman.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, saakura said:

Absolutely shameful and this is not the first instance of police gangs kidnapping for ransom. Now they have become bold enough to kidnap an entire family including 3 young children. How can citizens feel safe? Becoming more and more lawless by the day.

Sure but what's even more shameful, actually derelict, is that the national police chief is silent, showing no respect to this family nor to the society which employs him and pays his salary from taxpayers funds.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, saakura said:

Sounding like a South American country 

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

There are some plod here who will stop at nothing, just to get their grubby hands on cash.

If there is found to be truth in these allegations, not only suspend the police involved... Sack them.

Also prosecute them to the full extent of the law.

Never happen col you know I know that. They will be sent to inactive post as usual The law really is a big joke here and the Thai people know it

• Like 1

6 hours ago, xtof2 said:

And so, for these ones, what's going to happen?

A Maj. General is going to say that they have been transferred to an inactive post ... end of the story.

Whatever is your post in the police, there is one rule only No accountability.

Naah. Just like the old French Boy. Just a big misunderstanding. Every one ok and happy now!!!????????????????????????????????

1 hour ago, generealty said:

Suspension ? Are they joking ?

"Good news soon": Murder of German who taught English has damaged the image of Thailand, says media." from yesterday

So what must have this have done to the image of Thailand?

Suspension maybe OK but should involve a rope and a tree!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, losworld said:

And they like to pretend they are superior to the Philippines lol. 

I believe one of the main reasons we finally got our automatic Covid-19 extensions here, was because the Phils did it first. Tremendous loss of face for the supposedly superior country.

• Like 1