Alleged extortion of elderly Frenchman arrested on Pattaya beach just a big misunderstanding

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Always remember one thing here. The police are local franchisees and they are not law enforcement. And regardless of how much the administration claims the opposite, the police are 100% above the law. Any and all laws. 

So, when something like this blows up and becomes public, everything is done to erase it, absolve the cops and make it go away. Who knows what took place with the wife, but someone obviously "worked on her". 

However we know the facts. And the crooked cops were busted in the halls of public opinion. That is about as much of a victory as we can hope for. 

Of course ! Basically lawless and the Brown uniform mob decide when the law is broken

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pixelaoffy said:

Of course ! Basically lawless and the Brown uniform mob decide when the law is broken

True. But more often than not, it is the local franchisee who is breaking the law. But since they are totally above the law, they have complete immunity. More valuable than a diplomatic passport. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Good wife to have though, seeks justice \ get the money back they extorted. Moral to the story, police can get away with it so might as well continue as before

Hang on , good wife maybe or maybe not, all sorted with misunderstandings it appears but no mention of where frenchman is

Edited by Almer
Spelling

28 minutes ago, pixelaoffy said:

We are after all in the land of the wild wild west here.  Rampant gun use, murders over perceived wrongs committed, and too many other things to even go into detail on here in such a small forum that we share.  But then there are those that see it as just living life, and that is because of where they have come from.  You move to a place such as Thailand and you learn to adapt, overcome and try your best to blend in.  If you do not, then you don't last very long before this place eats you up, spits you out, or you give in and go home.....But then I think everyone of us knows what to expect or else we would be foolish to believe otherwise.  Just my 2 cents..

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, yuyiinthesky said:

Everybody living in Thailand and especially in Pattaya for a while knows someone who had this pleasant extortion experience,  knows that the extortion part of the story is business as usual in Pattaya, and you are expected to shut up after you paid.

Right, one wonders why this woman was so intent on making a scene, very unThai. 

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Why can you not accept the fact that she found her soul mate, and he is the one and only for her.  Who knows how long they have been together, but does it really matter to what difference there age is.  She obviously stands by her man as the old Tammy Wynette songs says...

Stand by your man,
Give him two arms to cling to,
And something warm to come to
When nights are cold and lonely

A scammer hates her scammee to be scammed by another scammer. 

• Like 2

Extortion ?  Stand back !  A few years ago i got a call from an X of mine who i hadn't seen for a while. She informed me that she was in the court holding cells at Ratchada and that she'd been there a week and could i come down and spring her ? Yeah ok, what have you done ?  Drugs was the answer, Oooh, how much was my question and which nick had pulled you ?  She then informed me that it wasn't her fault it was the coppers who had turned up at the house she was renting a room off whom they suspected of having some naughty substances for sale......  The coppers entered my friends room and as she told me, "One just dropped a pill on the floor in front of me and asked what it was ?"  She replied nothing to do with her and she'd just watched him drop it..... Oh contrare.... He then stated that it was hers and it was going to be twenty thousand baht or it was "Choky" time ........ Knowing my X full well she'd be all on scraping up twenty baht hence her current forced imprisonment...  Had a chat with the "right" individual who informed me that it would of been better if i hadn't come as the price goes up "When they see a farang", then i had to part with the required amount to spring her right away....... Big smiles and Wais all round.......   Extortion......  Lower than a snakes rectum !  

• Like 1

She would not be happy to walk out of there without all the money for the nice things she said. You have to see she is an intelligent woman and not uneducated. Plus she had an MP behind her and yet the possibility of further bad international relations. I wonder if it were a bunch of Chinese tourists would they risk the economic fallout that would ensue with their arrests? 

5 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

complete misunderstanding, like what exactly.

How did the Frenchman cough up 50,000 , not from an ATM or a bank.

This story is full of holes, and why are the other bunch of farangs caught with this guy not also in the news for being fined or were they let off.

How do you know it was not from an atm or a bank?

And why could it not be?

Just goes to show the level of contempt that these gangsters in brown have for aliens, extort 80 odd year old foreigners who have probably already propped up the Thai economy up more than most locals. 

But of course if you tried to explain the harm that they were doing to the country by things like this they wouldn't get it...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Good wife to have though, seeks justice \ get the money back they extorted. Moral to the story, police can get away with it so might as well continue as before

The police more than likely split the take with the wife and the Frenchman took it like a Greek boy.

Edited by DirtyFarang