Alleged extortion of elderly Frenchman arrested on Pattaya beach just a big misunderstanding

2 hours ago, yuyiinthesky said:

Of course it was a misunderstanding. The wife misunderstood that she was allowed to make the extortion public. It is her fault, as a Thai she should have known better.

The only reason why she got away without getting arrested and without more payments, more trouble was probably that she knows an MP, and the MP's lawyer was with her at the meeting.

Everybody living in Thailand and especially in Pattaya for a while knows someone who had this pleasant extortion experience,  knows that the extortion part of the story is business as usual in Pattaya, and you are expected to shut up after you paid.

Of course this sort of thing would never

happen in the West.  You'd think,

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Sujo said:

Did she get the money back? I didnt see that. Maybe she got nothing back but was finally given a receipt for the bail.

Dont know what happened to the 2000bht police taxi though. Would be nice if someone who knows the frenchman could enlighten us.

Read between the lines. Of course the wife got handed a wad of baht behind closed doors, after agreeing to say publicly that it was all a misunderstanding.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Good wife to have though, seeks justice \ get the money back they extorted. Moral to the story, police can get away with it so might as well continue as before

There's no mention in the story, that they got any of the money back. 

2 hours ago, Retarded said:

80 year old French with 42 year old Thai wife.

How long they have been married?

41 years? 

Inspector Clouseau of Pattaya and the

queer case of the French Tickler's loot.

There's a woman at the bottom of everything!

4 hours ago, sprq said:

Read between the lines. Of course the wife got handed a wad of baht behind closed doors, after agreeing to say publicly that it was all a misunderstanding.

I think it's more likely that she was threatened with a charge of defamation and had to back down and apologise to the police.

Defamation here is a criminal offence and she could have been 'fitted up' with a large fine and jail sentence.

17 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

After about a one hour meeting Naew Na said that the foreigner's wife said that she had received wonderful justice and completely clear explanations.

With the MP's lawyer sitting in the room, I'm sure it was.

21 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Good wife to have though, seeks justice \ get the money back they extorted. Moral to the story, police can get away with it so might as well continue as before

Yes, my wife would have been chastising me for being out there and causing such a raucous (just being on the beach, give me a break). He's found a keeper for sure. (Didn't say they got any money back).