Restaurants might be open but Chiang Mai diners are choosing to stay home

18 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Cash was replaced by using QR codes, families were restricted to four at a table and when people had gone his members had to do deep cleaning.

OMG, such inconvenience cleaning tables between customers and after closing, such strict hygiene measures, whatever will the authorities impose next I wonder, hot water to wash the dishes?

Heaven forbid !!!! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Are massage shops in CM open again too, or are they still closed?

As in Pattaya, it's easy to find a massage parlour whose metal curtain is half closed. If you are handsome man it's open for you.

"Cash was replaced by using QR codes"

The CCP Virus as an excuse for a cashless society. Who could have seen this coming?! (sarcasm)

I am patronizing restaurants with more welcoming offerings. 

• Like 1

"There was one entry/exit point, there was hand washing and temperature checks, masks for all and staff had to wear gloves"

When I see waitresses wearing masks it feels like in a hospital canteen. Major turn off.

That atmosphere is deeply disturbed, because you know the staff are afraid of you. 

Having said that I went to a restaurant in CM and there was no temperature check hand washing, staff did wear masks though.

Edited by Logosone

Just now, spidermike007 said:

Tourism in Thailand will never recover to even close to it's former levels, and that leaves millions out of work.

I suspect international tourism, international travel and restaurants worldwide are essentially finished for good.

Along with any other business that caters to large gatherings of people, sporting events, concerts, cinema all gone.

If I worked in any of those areas, I'd be looking elsewhere for employment.

The fear the governments have imposed on their populations will never go away.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Will take some time to see how this all shakes out, but it is my opinion that the economic fallout from the inane economic shutdown, is going to be 200 times worse than Covid itself, and the recovery "ramp up" will be long and excruciating. Far longer than they say. It will not just bounce back. In the history of the world, as far as we know, there has never been a deliberate worldwide economic shutdown. It is light years beyond dumb. The "slowdown" will last well into 2021, for certain. And some industries may never come back, or will be a pale shadow of their former selves. No doubt homelessness will skyrocket in the US. Tourism in Thailand will never recover to even close to it's former levels, and that leaves millions out of work. The deliberate economic shutdown was an exercise in insanity. Prolonging it, at this point, is an extension of that insanity. Easy for the fools making the laws, as they are collecting full salaries, and benefits, while the masses suffer.

What will the start up of the economy look like? How many hundreds of thousands of restaurants will go under here? What about concerts? Will people be willing to hang out with crowds of 20,000, at a cost of hundreds of dollars for a crappy seat? Same with sports. Movie theaters? Cruise ships? Will the hordes just start descending on restaurants again, and pay high prices for a gourmet meal? The list goes on, and on and on. And in the end, hundreds millions worldwide could end up far poorer than they were before. And tens of millions could end up starving to death, compared to perhaps 250,000 or so total deaths worldwide from Covid. OK. The rich stay safe and financially secure. And the rest of us? And those of us who are self employed, without fortunes in the bank? 

Tourism is not returning to Thailand anytime soon. How will that effect many restaurants? If you think about it, the group that comprised perhaps 60% of all arrivals (lower to middle income Chinese and Indians) are the ones who have been hardest hit by this idiotic worldwide economic shutdown. Tourism in Thailand will never recover to even close to it's former levels, and that leaves millions out of work. Most countries will still be required to have Covid letters, as the virus is still raging in many countries. And some countries will not issue that letter (impossible to get in the US). Plus, will the mandatory health insurance still be required? Will it be even stricter than before? And just what are people returning to? How about nightlife?

You're spot on about the economic policies generally, couldn't agree more.

The one thing about tourism though is that people love to travel. They go to even  dangerous places, for the thrill of it. After the tsunami many also thought tourism will never recover. After a relatively short period tourism did come back stronger than before.

Now admittedly this is a very different animal to a tsunami, a pandemic could mean more people have a greater fear of going to places like Thailand, but I would not be surprised if tourism made some kind of comeback. Eventually.

The big losers will be sports events, music events and cinemas in my view.

Edited by Logosone

20 hours ago, Jcord1 said:

People go to restaurants with family and friends for a "dining experience".

"USED" to go to restaurants with family and friends...

now the New NEW !

People will entertain at home, either coking or ordering take-away, along with a beer.

• Like 1

Dined at a restaurant on Wednesday night - only 2 other diners but a constant stream of customers collecting takeaways. Perhaps they're rich enough to have (re)discovered the delights of drinking wine with a meal.

Went out to Niman today for lunch.  WenT to The Salad Concept and saw the following:  1) About 50% of normal capacity for dining in 2) The other parts were either closed for diners or used as waiting area for FoodPanda and Grab drivers 3).  About 6 people were dining along with myself.  The tables were well spaced out and hand sanitizers were available at every other table. 4) The only real problem was the number of employees was inadequate.  The poor girls were running around like rabbits to take orders, serve food and give orders to food delivery drivers.  I only saw two girls out on the floor.  One of them I have known for years and she seemed exhausted at all the running around,  I left a generous tip and if others decide to venture out to eat please consider leaving a generous tip.  It might the case not all the employees who were let go before the shutdown will come back.  The quality of the food was the same:  Very good.  I will venture out again to eat.  Very little foot traffic on Niman.  Almost seemed like a  

ghost town.  Like others have said the “Road to Recovery will be a long, winding and a difficult one”. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Tourism in Thailand will never recover to even close to it's former levels, and that leaves millions out of work. Most countries will still be required to have Covid letters, as the virus is still raging in many countries. And some countries will not issue that letter (impossible to get in the US). Plus, will the mandatory health insurance still be required? Will it be even stricter than before? And just what are people returning to? How about nightlife?

A successful vaccine would put paid to most/all of that. People overlook this.

I am trying to shop out more. I just picked up the KowmanGai on Changklan on my morning ride.

Will try to eat more at restaurants but habits are hard to break. The girlfriend is a market shopper,  bring home and eat. Just the way it is

12 hours ago, daveAustin said:

A successful vaccine would put paid to most/all of that. People overlook this.

A vaccine would help. But the total economic lockdown was and is an experiment in insanity. It has never been done before. The restart is going to be long  and painful. And who will suffer the most? The lower income folks. 

On 5/11/2020 at 3:25 PM, spidermike007 said:

A vaccine would help. But the total economic lockdown was and is an experiment in insanity. It has never been done before. The restart is going to be long  and painful. And who will suffer the most? The lower income folks. 

Yes it was. Done on the basis of big pharma telling them to do it. A 5% lockdown would have save lives without eco cost.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, UbonThani said:

Yes it was. Done on the basis of big pharma telling them to do it. A 5% lockdown would have save lives without eco cost.

I realize the US is totally sold out to Big Pharma. The CDC, the FDA, the Trump administration, and virtually every administration before it. But, other nations too? I get the agenda. But, why would they go along with it, knowing it would cripple their economies, and devastate their people, far worse than covid would have, had it been allowed to play out. Did lockdown work in Italy or Spain? It did not seem to. Death tolls soared after the lockdowns were put into place. So, what was the agenda exactly? One thing I do know about this lockdown. It is not at all what it appears to be. There appear to be some sinister forces at work here and elsewhere. 

• Like 1

Miguels on the moat has opted just take out until he can serve alcohol. We went and picked up our food last night some of the delivery boys were hot because taking longer than 30 min. not ehough staff in restarant

12 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I realize the US is totally sold out to Big Pharma. The CDC, the FDA, the Trump administration, and virtually every administration before it. But, other nations too? I get the agenda. But, why would they go along with it, knowing it would cripple their economies, and devastate their people, far worse than covid would have, had it been allowed to play out. Did lockdown work in Italy or Spain? It did not seem to. Death tolls soared after the lockdowns were put into place. So, what was the agenda exactly? One thing I do know about this lockdown. It is not at all what it appears to be. There appear to be some sinister forces at work here and elsewhere. 

Not locking down was not a fix for Sweden they have a higher death rate than the countries who did lock down.

1 minute ago, moe666 said:

Not locking down was not a fix for Sweden they have a higher death rate than the countries who did lock down.

True. But they also have a functioning economy, the middle to lower income people were not crippled and devastated, and they will not be facing a monstrous debt load for decades to come. Herd immunity works. And the secondary benefit is you do not have a second wave, which we will not have here, but in woefully unprepared, and woefully non visionary countries like the US, it could be horrendous. 

Herd immunity greater than 70% will not be achieved until a vaccine is produced, or from a massive increase in global deaths. Clearly, governments are putting the immediacy of human lives above the immediacy of economic regression - with the expectation that vaccines will be effectively proven, manufactured, and released globally in a few months. The first vaccine off the blocks is UK based, and that could give some welcome respite to Boris Johnson's incompetent government, and to Trump's fantasy world.

Really don't like that annoying smart-<deleted> phrase "New Normal" that is being constantly over-used at the moment ... smacks of subliminal mental social engineering that constantly chips away at the collective psyche and the source of such nonsense is usually the total Richards section within our midst.  

Edited by Brigand

If I have to go through temp checks and so much protocol and at the end of it cannot even sit on tables with my family etc, I rather boycott all these restaurants. Let them go bankrupt and their staff jobless, at least they can then go and protest outside the stupid agencies offices. If I am paying with my own hard earned money I do not like morons dictating what I should and should not do.

Social distancing protocols were developed by some farang non-medical morons who have no clues about medical or virology issues and later adopted by other idiots around the world. New scientific studies have shown that the virus is "super" airborne and can even spread at distances by speech and can remain active on surfaces for a long time. None of these social distancing stuff is going to work! (interesting site..check out their various articles: https://www.thailandmedical.news/) even WHO is gradually agreeing finally.

On 5/9/2020 at 6:02 AM, bluesofa said:

If you don't have a QR code, then no food too.

I am in Canada and have no idea what QR codes are.  Why don't people use the proper language instead of short forms that many people may not be familiar with?  Anyway, this seems to be a throw back to WWII when we had rationing in the land of my birth and without coupons we could not buy very much although Fish and Chips were not rationed.

'nuf sed.

28 minutes ago, wotsdermatter said:

I am in Canada and have no idea what QR codes are.  Why don't people use the proper language instead of short forms that many people may not be familiar with?  Anyway, this seems to be a throw back to WWII when we had rationing in the land of my birth and without coupons we could not buy very much although Fish and Chips were not rationed.

'nuf sed.

A QR code

A5501A67-D2AC-44B0-A427-BCDFD5861620.thumb.jpeg.6a5b5ae8dd00c82214282b306f6c7d0f.jpeg

When read with an app on your phone will usually take you to a website to give more information, widely used at tourist attractions or on packaging to describe ( or advertise ) their facilities, other products available etc.

Now used here on entry to a mall or Big C complex etc to “ track “ you in the eventuality that someone infected with Covid19 is detected, other people in the same vicinity at the same time can be contacted/found.

I suspect there many places are just going through the motions and being seen to enforce the new rules.

I was prompted to use the above QR code at a Big C complex yesterday and found it relatively easy ( open Line , click “ add person “ on this page the QR option appears, click it, use the phone to read the code etc etc )

While the above was being explained to my gf I just took the above photo of the code ???? and several people just entered by walking round us ????

The code is a small inconvenience but looking at MK where now a booth for four people is restricted to one person only is definitely off putting and they should just close their doors IMO.

They offer a takeaway service but, let’s be honest, other than taking some of their duck home the whole MK experience is doomed !!

Edited by Andrew Dwyer

12 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

A QR code

Many thanks Andrew.  As soon as I saw your post I knew what QR codes are.  I never use apps of any kind because I do not have and neither do I want an expensive "Smart Phone" partly because I do not need one and certainly do not like to pay a company such as Apple for something that I do not need although I have more than enough money to buy one.  Much prefer living without having useless things.  Remember KISS?  That's the way I live.

Again thank you Andrew.

'nuf sed.

3 minutes ago, wotsdermatter said:

Many thanks Andrew.  As soon as I saw your post I knew what QR codes are.  I never use apps of any kind because I do not have and neither do I want an expensive "Smart Phone" partly because I do not need one and certainly do not like to pay a company such as Apple for something that I do not need although I have more than enough money to buy one.  Much prefer living without having useless things.  Remember KISS?  That's the way I live.

Again thank you Andrew.

'nuf sed.

I suspect entry into places only require 1 person in the group to check in using the QR code so you should be okay with another person.

NOTE: not sure if that is the case and every person has to check in, as I said my only experience was very badly organised and chaotic.