BANGKOK
Jonathan Fairfield

Restaurants might be open but Chiang Mai diners are choosing to stay home

I am trying to shop out more. I just picked up the KowmanGai on Changklan on my morning ride.

Will try to eat more at restaurants but habits are hard to break. The girlfriend is a market shopper,  bring home and eat. Just the way it is

12 hours ago, daveAustin said:

A successful vaccine would put paid to most/all of that. People overlook this.

A vaccine would help. But the total economic lockdown was and is an experiment in insanity. It has never been done before. The restart is going to be long  and painful. And who will suffer the most? The lower income folks. 

On 5/11/2020 at 3:25 PM, spidermike007 said:

A vaccine would help. But the total economic lockdown was and is an experiment in insanity. It has never been done before. The restart is going to be long  and painful. And who will suffer the most? The lower income folks. 

Yes it was. Done on the basis of big pharma telling them to do it. A 5% lockdown would have save lives without eco cost.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, UbonThani said:

Yes it was. Done on the basis of big pharma telling them to do it. A 5% lockdown would have save lives without eco cost.

I realize the US is totally sold out to Big Pharma. The CDC, the FDA, the Trump administration, and virtually every administration before it. But, other nations too? I get the agenda. But, why would they go along with it, knowing it would cripple their economies, and devastate their people, far worse than covid would have, had it been allowed to play out. Did lockdown work in Italy or Spain? It did not seem to. Death tolls soared after the lockdowns were put into place. So, what was the agenda exactly? One thing I do know about this lockdown. It is not at all what it appears to be. There appear to be some sinister forces at work here and elsewhere. 

• Like 1

Miguels on the moat has opted just take out until he can serve alcohol. We went and picked up our food last night some of the delivery boys were hot because taking longer than 30 min. not ehough staff in restarant

12 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I realize the US is totally sold out to Big Pharma. The CDC, the FDA, the Trump administration, and virtually every administration before it. But, other nations too? I get the agenda. But, why would they go along with it, knowing it would cripple their economies, and devastate their people, far worse than covid would have, had it been allowed to play out. Did lockdown work in Italy or Spain? It did not seem to. Death tolls soared after the lockdowns were put into place. So, what was the agenda exactly? One thing I do know about this lockdown. It is not at all what it appears to be. There appear to be some sinister forces at work here and elsewhere. 

Not locking down was not a fix for Sweden they have a higher death rate than the countries who did lock down.

1 minute ago, moe666 said:

Not locking down was not a fix for Sweden they have a higher death rate than the countries who did lock down.

True. But they also have a functioning economy, the middle to lower income people were not crippled and devastated, and they will not be facing a monstrous debt load for decades to come. Herd immunity works. And the secondary benefit is you do not have a second wave, which we will not have here, but in woefully unprepared, and woefully non visionary countries like the US, it could be horrendous. 

Herd immunity greater than 70% will not be achieved until a vaccine is produced, or from a massive increase in global deaths. Clearly, governments are putting the immediacy of human lives above the immediacy of economic regression - with the expectation that vaccines will be effectively proven, manufactured, and released globally in a few months. The first vaccine off the blocks is UK based, and that could give some welcome respite to Boris Johnson's incompetent government, and to Trump's fantasy world.

Posted (edited)

Really don't like that annoying smart-<deleted> phrase "New Normal" that is being constantly over-used at the moment ... smacks of subliminal mental social engineering that constantly chips away at the collective psyche and the source of such nonsense is usually the total Richards section within our midst.  

Edited by Brigand

If I have to go through temp checks and so much protocol and at the end of it cannot even sit on tables with my family etc, I rather boycott all these restaurants. Let them go bankrupt and their staff jobless, at least they can then go and protest outside the stupid agencies offices. If I am paying with my own hard earned money I do not like morons dictating what I should and should not do.

Social distancing protocols were developed by some farang non-medical morons who have no clues about medical or virology issues and later adopted by other idiots around the world. New scientific studies have shown that the virus is "super" airborne and can even spread at distances by speech and can remain active on surfaces for a long time. None of these social distancing stuff is going to work! (interesting site..check out their various articles: https://www.thailandmedical.news/) even WHO is gradually agreeing finally.

On 5/9/2020 at 6:02 AM, bluesofa said:

If you don't have a QR code, then no food too.

I am in Canada and have no idea what QR codes are.  Why don't people use the proper language instead of short forms that many people may not be familiar with?  Anyway, this seems to be a throw back to WWII when we had rationing in the land of my birth and without coupons we could not buy very much although Fish and Chips were not rationed.

'nuf sed.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, wotsdermatter said:

I am in Canada and have no idea what QR codes are.  Why don't people use the proper language instead of short forms that many people may not be familiar with?  Anyway, this seems to be a throw back to WWII when we had rationing in the land of my birth and without coupons we could not buy very much although Fish and Chips were not rationed.

'nuf sed.

A QR code

A5501A67-D2AC-44B0-A427-BCDFD5861620.thumb.jpeg.6a5b5ae8dd00c82214282b306f6c7d0f.jpeg

When read with an app on your phone will usually take you to a website to give more information, widely used at tourist attractions or on packaging to describe ( or advertise ) their facilities, other products available etc.

Now used here on entry to a mall or Big C complex etc to “ track “ you in the eventuality that someone infected with Covid19 is detected, other people in the same vicinity at the same time can be contacted/found.

I suspect there many places are just going through the motions and being seen to enforce the new rules.

I was prompted to use the above QR code at a Big C complex yesterday and found it relatively easy ( open Line , click “ add person “ on this page the QR option appears, click it, use the phone to read the code etc etc )

While the above was being explained to my gf I just took the above photo of the code 😀 and several people just entered by walking round us 🤔

The code is a small inconvenience but looking at MK where now a booth for four people is restricted to one person only is definitely off putting and they should just close their doors IMO.

They offer a takeaway service but, let’s be honest, other than taking some of their duck home the whole MK experience is doomed !!

Edited by Andrew Dwyer

12 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

A QR code

Many thanks Andrew.  As soon as I saw your post I knew what QR codes are.  I never use apps of any kind because I do not have and neither do I want an expensive "Smart Phone" partly because I do not need one and certainly do not like to pay a company such as Apple for something that I do not need although I have more than enough money to buy one.  Much prefer living without having useless things.  Remember KISS?  That's the way I live.

Again thank you Andrew.

'nuf sed.

3 minutes ago, wotsdermatter said:

Many thanks Andrew.  As soon as I saw your post I knew what QR codes are.  I never use apps of any kind because I do not have and neither do I want an expensive "Smart Phone" partly because I do not need one and certainly do not like to pay a company such as Apple for something that I do not need although I have more than enough money to buy one.  Much prefer living without having useless things.  Remember KISS?  That's the way I live.

Again thank you Andrew.

'nuf sed.

I suspect entry into places only require 1 person in the group to check in using the QR code so you should be okay with another person.

NOTE: not sure if that is the case and every person has to check in, as I said my only experience was very badly organised and chaotic.

On 5/16/2020 at 10:53 AM, moe666 said:

Not true. The UK's death rate is 512 per million. Sweden 366.