1st July opening of Schools

Dear friends.

I was informed from a recent interview that the schools will reopen on the 1st July due to covid and the movement of the semester. Meaning I would have to be in Thailand around the 20th of June.

Is there any credible evidence of this said government statement or is it still speculation.

Thanks in advance.

Raphus B

I don't have a definitive answer to your question, and to some extent nothing is definite yet. Varying calendars are in circulation, though all now seem to be assuming a July 1, 2020 starting date. The variances now seem to be centred on the length of the October 2020 and April 2021 vacations with a presumption of a normal school year for next year beginning in May 2021.

For the current school year, consider these points:

- a start before July 1, 2020 now seems almost impossible.  It has been announced that entrance exams are to be scheduled in the first half of June, with results to be announced approximately June 15.

- delaying beyond July 1 makes it too difficult to complete the required number of instructional hours by April 30, 2021. If they begin on or about July 1, the lost time (6 - 9 weeks, depending on the school) can probably be made up by some combination of:  a longer school day, compulsory Saturday classes; cancellation of non-academic activities, and reduction or outright elimination of vacation periods in October 2020 and April 2021.

Edited by allane
xx
  • Thanks 1

Be sure to check with your school as to what their regulations are.   I know schools that will start on July 1, but  teachers are expected to be at work at this time.   They have an amended schedule with about 1/2 working one day and the other 1/2 the next day.  

For those who will be returning to school but who were caught in a lock down overseas, they will be required to self-quarantine for 14 days before returning to work.  

These rules are from the school, not the gov't.   I suspect they could change if rapid testing becomes available.  

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:

If you read news online you will know as much as everybody else. Why do you think you have to ask here? It's still early May, quite a long time until July 1. 

Because. I am not currently in Thailand. Plus a lot of friends here have children and they would be in the know more than those whom dont !! 

Asking here was a valid question and I have received some great replies with sensible reasoning. Except yours.

There is a lack of consistency and confusion on this issue - status quo in Thailand!!

Some Thai teachers I know at public and private schools have been told expect to return to class teaching on 1 July, for 10 months of non-stop face-to-face teaching; others have been told to prepare for 10 months of only on-line teaching from home.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, mike324 said:

I have heard of two international preschools planning on opening on July 1st in Bangkok. The big international schools have not said anything yet.

My son's school is a mid-size international school (in central Bangkok) and re-opened with daily online classes for all levels on 20 April.  They plan to open next month for normal classes, but cannot do so until they get their Covid19 precautions and procedures authorised.  This term is due to finish on 3 July so, the 1 July date is meaningless.  The new school year starts on 24 August, so hopefully normal school will have resumed by then.

• Thanks 1

My son goes to kindergarten Assumption Ubon, I'm not getting any useful info from the school at the moment. Does anyone here know about Assumption schools opening up anytime soon?

My boy is getting bored and he's driving his mum nuts lol