Problem with Alcohol. When did you realize, what did you do?

From the posts on here,many were shaking when the Alcohol ban came into place,

thats was the time when you realized you could not live without it,but I am the same

when it comes to food.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 2

I didn't drink anything during the alcohol ban and still nothing after it. I liked my cold beers before the ban. But in the meantime I have learned to fill this time with things that make more sense. Hope it will stay like this. What disappointed me a little bit was that I don't feel better or fitter without the booze. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Oldie said:

I didn't drink anything during the alcohol ban and still nothing after it. I liked my cold beers before the ban. But in the meantime I have learned to fill this time with things that make more sense. Hope it will stay like this. What disappointed me a little bit was that I don't feel better or fitter without the booze. 

Please enlighten us on the 'things that make more sense'.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stouricks said:

Please enlighten us on the 'things that make more sense'.  

What makes real sense in life? Perhaps things you like to remember? 

I think when you start having a drink within minutes of waking up to relieve the brain pain, that's when you've crossed a line and can't keep deluding yourself that you're still in control.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, SteveK said:

I think when you start having a drink within minutes of waking up to relieve the brain pain, that's when you've crossed a line and can't keep deluding yourself that you're still in control.

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I had another drink.

IMG_1307.thumb.JPG.4007c197d44fdaa2541b161055b1b559.JPG

When you don't go cycling till the pubs open.
When you wake up in the morning, and the first thing you check is whether you brought your bike home.

What did I do about it?
Check I'd brought my bike home.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

imo asking the wrong site this question for many folks living here were driven away from their home countries due to their antics with booze - divorce, inability to hold onto a job, mismanagement of earnings and misplacement of priorities all contributed to folks not being able to make it in their native countries. Many came here to keep up the charade of 'living' their life..

One of the main attractions for them is the extraordinary ease with which the hopeless, rejected and "not-fit-for-sale-in-their-own-country-****head" can acquire a codependent in Thailand.

Codependency - Wikipedia

Another characteristic of Thailand is that also attracts codependents, the "White Knights".

25 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Wow, spoken like a true psychology student who has been in the bottle himself. Painted the whole expat population with a pretty broad brush now didn't you. Do you feel good now? Or just marginalized......

Or possibly, like me, he has moved among them, known them, rejected what they "offered" and moved on.

I did that, about 35 years ago, without getting anywhere close to becoming what they were and (the ones who remain alive) still are.

One of the living being my brother.

Although as far as I am concerned, he died 7 years ago.

Edited by Enoon

Dry since no alcohol available in bars & restaurants. 

Don't drink alcohol home. 

But know I will get drunk (1-3 times in a week, and in daytime ) as soon alcohol is again available in bars & restaurants. 

At 71+ I am aware of my specific problem with alcohol, but don't intend to do anything about it. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Oldie said:

What makes real sense in life? Perhaps things you like to remember? 

Remembering is OK, I do a lot of it, but it can lead to depression thinking about 'the good old times' Looking forward to a healthy, comfortable future could possibly make more sense of your life.

• Like 1

The ban on alcohol brought out many critics, many of those folk would have had similar criticism of a ban of bread or milk....  that doesn't make them 'bread-oholics' or 'milk-oholics' it just makes them critics of an absence of common sense.

For most people, a glass of wine or beer with dinner is a harmless pleasure. Being told they can't enjoy a minor pleasure for no logical reasons irritates the 'logic-gland' in much the same way they (we / I) would be annoyed if the government announced that I can't have milk on my cornflakes.

So, problem with alcohol? the only problem I have is when intelligent choice is removed without any sense or logic.

Bar closure, I get it. Stopping people from having a beer at home, I don't get.

Just get the Police to do their job if people have decided to have parties.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stouricks said:

Remembering is OK, I do a lot of it, but it can lead to depression thinking about 'the good old times' Looking forward to a healthy, comfortable future could possibly make more sense of your life.

You should start again to do things you will like to remember afterwards. You are not dead - yet. The good old times? I can't repeat them because I am old now and my body is not the same anymore. Also not all old times were good. Time to look at my bucket list too for things I always wanted to do but never did.

18 hours ago, Oldie said:

I know what you mean. After giving up smoking, I felt much better very quickly, but after booze, not so much. Apart from not having the terrible hangovers.

2 minutes ago, Bramley said:

I know what you mean. After giving up smoking, I felt much better very quickly, but after booze, not so much. Apart from not having the terrible hangovers.

This is a strange thing. When I smoked (I quitted many years ago) and drank I had terrible hangovers. But with beer alone never. I can drink six big Leo and can even cook complicated things after all this. Then I sleep a bit and wake up as if nothing ever had happened. The only thing is that sometimes I can't remember the meal that I cooked afterwards. But everything is clean and I discover in the fridge what is missing... But the alcohol avoidance had a benefit. My blood pressure is at around 120 again (from 160 - 180 before). And this without taking pills now. But I don't feel better than before. Perhaps I sweat less and this is an advantage at this heat. 

11 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Wow, spoken like a true psychology student who has been in the bottle himself. Painted the whole expat population with a pretty broad brush now didn't you. Do you feel good now? Or just marginalized......

lol, If not being addicted to the worst drug in the world is 'marginalized' sign me up...

• 4 months later...
On 5/9/2020 at 6:00 AM, from the home of CC said:

imo asking the wrong site this question for many folks living here were driven away from their home countries due to their antics with booze - divorce, inability to hold onto a job, mismanagement of earnings and misplacement of priorities all contributed to folks not being able to make it in their native countries. Many came here to keep up the charade of 'living' their life..

and the temples

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a moderation guy I love sipping whisky neat but I can limit my intake to a small glass every 3-4 days or whenever the Mrs gives the signals.

My biggest demon is water. I aim to drink 2 litres a day but fall short of that target too often.

I like that Heineken is here now but it's a 44 baht can for me everytime. Leo is a small can always over a big can. Moderation gents.