Phuket Commerce president calls for urgent action to provide jobs, income for the hungry

rooster59

Phuket Commerce president calls for urgent action to provide jobs, income for the hungry

By The Phuket News

1589015342_1-org.jpg

A mother waits as Patong Municipaliy hands out milk powder for infants for those with no income. Photo: Patong Muncipality

PHUKET: Phuket Chamber of Commerce President has appealed to the government in Bangkok to take urgent steps to counter the impact of unemployment on the island due to the COVID-19 outbreak and revitalize the island’s economy to become self-sufficient again.

“The COVID-19 situation has caused a crisis in Phuket. It’s as difficult as the tsunami [in 2004] because Phuket has no income right now,” Phuket Chamber of Commerce President Thanusak Phungdet told a meeting at Phuket Provincial Hall on Thursday (May 7).

Mr Thanusak said he did not expect the tourism sector to experience any form of recovery for at least six months. Even by then tourism-dependent business on the island would see only 20-30% of the income they previously enjoyed, he added.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-commerce-president-calls-for-urgent-action-to-provide-jobs-income-for-the-hungry-76008.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-05-09

11 hours ago, rooster59 said:

“The COVID-19 situation has caused a crisis in Phuket.

I have news for you

The COVID-19 situation has caused a crisis round the world, the people you rely on for the Phuket economy may not return for a very long time especially considering the racist treatment they have received over the last few months, your government better step up and address this situation on all fronts or face permanent damage

• Like 2

You are handing out money to the unemployed,instead pay them to fix up all the issues that couldn’t be done because of the tourists. Like putting the cables underground around Bangla road,make the beaches better. Get the water issues rectified,increase dam capacity,if the virus had not arrived phuket would have run out of water. Sort out the issues with the taxi mafia in Patong and surrounding areas so tourists are not getting ripped off when they return. Set standard prices for trips like the buses have. It will be a few years before things start to return to normal so make it a better place for locals and tourists.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tourism not happening for a long time.....

But.............pricing will go up to make up for the loss of wealth. Thai way.

Already had 4 cries of help, 50.000 baht the best cry...

"Lend me but do not know when I pay back" 5555555

Wonder how the 'sharks' are getting their loans repayed from the bar girls....or is there a glut of 'clicks' parked around Patong.

Edited by ThePearl

3 minutes ago, ThePearl said:

Not happening..

Leopard cannot change its spots...

Pricing will go up to make up for the loss of income/wealth.

Already had 4 cries of help, 50.000 baht the best cry...

"Lend me but do not know when I pay back" 5555555

Well I am not in Thailand now and some one ask me for 40.ooo baht

And I pay you back no problem

On 5/9/2020 at 8:20 PM, rooster59 said:

Mr Thanusak said he did not expect the tourism sector to experience any form of recovery for at least six months. Even by then tourism-dependent business on the island would see only 20-30% of the income they previously enjoyed, he added.

I think that's very optimistic, Many Thais are struggling with finances, travel is the last thing on their minds right now, international travel is going to be more like 18 months as they've been hit harder than Thailand.

Phuket is a one-trick pony, it's all geared to tourism.. time for some long term changes.

• Like 1