Tire splitting within months?

Bought some 29 x 2 mountain bike tires off of Lazada and been riding only on roads pumped up at 50psi. The tires have started splitting in places within 5 months of buying new on the outer edge on about 5 % of the tire with no bulging or effect on the ride performance I notice (photo attached). My other brand tires lasted several years and never split like this. This is the rear tire which is taking more weight, I weigh 88kg.

Is this just a dodgy batch or a brand to avoid? Will I likely get a blow out and should change them immediately or are they OK to carry on with?

Appreciate the advice guys?

TireSplit.jpg.fb2e39dd0865f5e5f859bb50de174b9e.jpg

This is Chaoyang Falcon series of tire. Only bought the one so far (thought I got 2 but its only one so far). It was cheap and shipped from Thailand. Looked on Lazada and that supplier no longer exists but plenty others on there. I may try another as they are so cheap.

Edited by WorriedNoodle

1 hour ago, WorriedNoodle said:

The tires have started splitting in places within 5 months of buying new

You were sold old stock.

Probably manufactured 5 years (or more) ago.

I had a tire from Decathlon that did exactly the same, but my previous purchase of the same tire is still perfect.

They replaced it with another which is fine.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

How does one know when buying something what used to be called sight unseen and is now called on-line?

Use Lazada's payment service called COD and inspect the goods before paying for them !!

I have bought another tire to replace it from Shopee this is also Chaoyang brand but this time its a Merlin type which has a different tread on it and looking less likely to split along same lines as the previous Falcon. If that fails the same then I will only buy more expensive tires in future.

When I received the Chaoyang Falcon tyre it looked is very good condition and the cracks happened over time after 5-6 months. The 50psi I use is exactly what is labelled on tire, so pressure and weight limits all within spec, must be a dodgy rubber composition I guess.

On 5/10/2020 at 10:06 AM, n210mp said:

just a thought 50 psi sounds very low,   is this the pressure recommended on the tyre wall?

PSI depends on tire width and load weight.

A 2" tire is good at 50 psi, a 1" tire would need 90 psi.

Chaoyang tyres are good, and exceptional for the price. They manufacture for some of the more well known (expensive) brands. If you got 5-6 months use in hot Thai weather and only paid a couple hundred baht, then I don't think there's much to grumble about. Either an old tyre or a manufacturing defect, life goes on.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 1