Spanish man charged with murdering Chilean on Koh Phangan

rooster59

Spanish man charged with murdering Chilean on Koh Phangan

CiHZjUdJ5HPNXJ92GBcAu649cLK7OtZirB.jpg

Image: Thairath

A Spanish man has been arrested after allegedly murdering a Chilean man on Koh Phangan.

Police said they were called to a house in Ban Tai at 1am on Saturday morning.

Inside they found signs of a struggle and the body of the 41 year old Chilean man, who had suffered multiple stab wounds and still with a knife lodged in his chest, Manager reported.

Police sealed off the scene to prohibit anyone from entering the property and using an interpreter spoke to the deceased man’s Chinese wife who lived with him at the rented house.

The man’s wife, who was treated for shock, said she and her husband were sleeping when they were woken by banging on the front door. 

Her husband answered the door and was met by the suspect who launched what appeared to be an unprovoked attack.

There was a struggle and the Spanish man stabbed the Chilean man several times before fleeing on a motorbike.

The deceased man’s wife said she did not know if the two men had any prior disagreements. 

The suspect was later arrested after he crashed his motorbike into a ditch while being chased by police.

Manager reported that during the interrogation, the suspect gave confusing statements about killing someone.

The Spanish man has been charged with murder, posssesion of a weapon in public and theft. 

Police said the man was also involved in three other cases regarding the theft of motorbikes on the island.

Police said they are waiting for the results of DNA tests as part of their investigation.

Source: Manager

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-05-10

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

50 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Looking t the state of him, I would guess result of usual problems - drugs

Could be right, but it also reports that he crashed his motorbike in a ditch, maybe because he was under the influence of drugs, who knows?

5 minutes ago, sahibji said:

the tragedy is that this kind of crime can be committed with little or no provocation. it would be difficult to monitor that,

Sure, but anything that can help to reduce the risk is a good thing in my book. 
It's very common for people to be released from prison to then re-offend
Here are some statistics in the UK 
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/832662/proven_reoffending_bulletin_July_to_Sept_17.pdf

2 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

Thailand really needs to start screening foreigners properly before entering the country. There are far too many cases like this.  The other week it was that nutcase from Northern Ireland who butchered  that poor girl to death Pattaya and now this... 

The fact is, pretty much anyone one with a criminal background can so easily enter this country. Peado's, rapists, murderers, drugs dealers, con artists, you name it there are loads of them out here. 

When I arrived here in Thailand in February my fingerprints were taken so screening is taking place,. Sadly if your not a wanted man I’m presuming your not going to get arrested,. However with the finger prints being taken and computers widely available I’m sure the Thai authorities know if you have a criminal record. When younger was convicted of drugs ! It’s on my record so I’m not allowed into America .. many people who arrive on long stays have to apply for visas in there own country before traveling ‘ those who arrive for say 30 days are not going through any Chanel’s which in my eyes make it difficult for authorities to refuse you entry. 

6 minutes ago, Steve Vincent said:

I’m sure the Thai authorities know if you have a criminal record.

Nope. They can't cross reference your fingerprints taken at immigration with records in your country.

That would require a specific request by the Thai authorities to the authorities in your country.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Phil McCaverty said:

Nope. They can't cross reference your fingerprints taken at immigration with records in your country.

That would require a specific request by the Thai authorities to the authorities in your country.

Interesting. Maybe that’s why crime is on the up here in Thailand Maybe they should do more “especially with perverts who abuse children as a small example ! 

3 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

Thailand really needs to start screening foreigners properly before entering the country. There are far too many cases like this.  The other week it was that nutcase from Northern Ireland who butchered  that poor girl to death Pattaya and now this... 

The fact is, pretty much anyone one with a criminal background can so easily enter this country. Peado's, rapists, murderers, drugs dealers, con artists, you name it there are loads of them out here. 

And they are welcomed also with open arms as Thailand is a haven for every sort no checks unless interpol informs them of most wanted so just go to Thailand. 

3 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

When I first came to Thailand, back in 2008I had to show a "clearance" from the police in my country. Is it not like that anymore?  

14 minutes ago, Bassclomp said:

Thailand is just like the old wild west that's it's attraction to misfits,criminals,weirdos etc..

Only in the tourist areas, most Thais are pretty decent people; a bit behind the times, maybe, Thailand reminds me a lot of the UK in my youth. As a Farang you're always going to be a bit of a mystery to them, like Poles, West Indians, Italians, etc, etc, were to me as a kid - exotic.

• Like 1

A post-pandemic priority agenda should be to work towards linking all police databases and making them accessible to immigration authorities in every country. Only those who have something to hide would oppose this.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Yes, we are pretty sure about that. Here in Thailand they are not very common and most of the mad ones are walking freely on the streets I have been told.

So we blend in, you saying? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1