Computer Sciences Teaching Job

KevinN

I think that that is a proper job, He was a tech for years,and a good one.

There do not seem to be any techs here in Thailand that are to swift on computers and do need instruction in the art of fixing these ###### things.

Also all the ISPs that I have tried seem to have no techs or engineers that can do the job.

There is more to the job than getting an old screwdriver and going out and dumping everything out of peoples computers,screwing the machine up,collecting 500 TBH and going back to some store in town.

The ones I have found have dumped mine 5 times in 4 years,installed the OP system 4 times and sold me 3 new units.

• 2 months later...

KevinN - i have a computer science degree etc. & was fortunate enough to work for IBM thailand for two years. i had high hopes of working part-time in the industry here thereafter but soon gave up as i could not find anyone prepared to offer me a western salary...

i'm sure with a little bit of patience & application you will be able to find the position that you are looking for.

good luck

I can count the number of farangs on one hand that I know who have lucked out in the computer industry. If a Thai can do it then a farang isn't allowed to do it is always going to be the motto. I'm not sure actually whether the original poster had a friend who was interested in teaching computers......or fixing 'em!

KevinN - i have a computer science degree etc. & was fortunate enough to work for IBM thailand for two years.

Harry, did you by chance worked in the most famous IBM project in the Kingdom ? :o:D

which project do you mean?

i originally worked at IBM Hursley as part of the team developing what is now known as Websphere MQSeries & Websphere MQSeries Integrator... then they foolishly invited me out to the LoS, id I didn't mind... ###### i bit there hand off :D

I can count the number of farangs on one hand that I know who have lucked out in the computer industry. If a Thai can do it then a farang isn't allowed to do it is always going to be the motto. I'm not sure actually whether the original poster had a friend who was interested in teaching computers......or fixing 'em!

and on the flipside of that, there are also many who have succeeded and even made alot of $

and on the flipside of that, there are also many who have succeeded and even made alot of $

thumbsup.gif

I have a friend in America that has a degree in computer sciences and he would like to have a teaching job here in Thailand,,any Ideas on where to look? Thanks

Does your friend have 5 fingers and a willingness to work into KSR?

It certainly fookin' sounds like it!

Let's see- to try to be a bit more helpful here- there are a number of EP programs which require computer teachers who are native English speakers- and the salaries for these programs are a cut above typical levels just for English teachers. However, they are jealously guarded by those who have them- you're not likely just to fall into one, and you're not going to get a full-scale western salary for it, either. If your friend wants to gamble, he could come over here, get a generic English teaching job, and hunt around until he found what he wanted. Good luck!

"Steven"

Let's see- to try to be a bit more helpful here- there are a number of EP programs which require computer teachers who are native English speakers- and the salaries for these programs are a cut above typical levels just for English teachers.  However, they are jealously guarded by those who have them- you're not likely just to fall into one, and you're not going to get a full-scale western salary for it, either.  If your friend wants to gamble, he could come over here, get a generic English teaching job, and hunt around until he found what he wanted.  Good luck!

"Steven"

ijwt - for an ELT... didn't you say that's what you are/ were... your grammar is awfully sloppy...

you refer to the word 'program' a number of times & in the context used it should surely be 'programme'...

sorry to be so pedantic but this is an ELT forum & we must maintain standards :o

oh... i just noticed that i'm a Secret Agent... thanks chaps!

Ummm, Harry, you should've realized (with a 'z') by now that I'm an American- we don't make that distinction in American English.

"Steven"

how on earth would i know that you are an american, have we met? oh no it wasn't you at the 'cave' last night dressed as catwoman... sorry but i was drunk :o