Bought a plane ticket to USA, today....

moontang

Sure, buy a ticket but be prepared to lose it if the Covid situation gets worse. Of course, depends where you'd prefer to be trapped! This is home. In view of the scene happening in the US right now, election year, that's the last place I'd go, NY pizza, Maine lobster, & wild salmon, plus Costco & Trader Joe's notwithstanding.

In US history, there has never been a war president who was not reelected. Anybody want to bet, four more years? 

2 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

Sure, buy a ticket but be prepared to lose it if the Covid situation gets worse. Of course, depends where you'd prefer to be trapped! This is home. In view of the scene happening in the US right now, election year, that's the last place I'd go, NY pizza, Maine lobster, & wild salmon, plus Costco & Trader Joe's notwithstanding.

In US history, there has never been a war president who was not reelected. Anybody want to bet, four more years? 

The reelection is obvious..war president?  We can only hope...

It'll be interesting to see which airlines are still in business come September/October.  And how many paid up passengers get shafted.  I'm not forecasting either way.  Just pointing out that it's a gamble.

The good news is that the OP's FF miles would be worthless anyway in a worst case scenario for Alaska, and that's not the same as losing cash like so many travelers have and will.

21 hours ago, moontang said:

of course the insurance they required me to buy doesn't meet the current requirement, but I am willing to bet the requirements will at least be doable by November,

Your a far better man than I am. My bet is that the insurance requirement moves to all  non immigrant visas and extensions of stay 

I have been in Thailand for way too long to think or hope the government will change anything.  Once they make up their mind about something there is no changing it. Change means someone was wrong, and no one is ever wrong in Thailand, it's all about face