Nurse killed as truck crashes into her car in Saraburi

webfact

Nurse killed as truck crashes into her car

By The Nation

800_a537713d4dc9c3e.jpg?v=1589116099

Photo credit: mokkalana

A nurse was crushed to death while her father was severely injured in Saraburi when a truck, reportedly trying to run a red light, crashed into their car.

Police found Nakhon Phimton, 57, stuck in the car and his daughter, Natsamon Phimton, 27, who was killed in the accident. Meenai Chatchawan, 33, the driver of the 10-wheel truck was detained at the accident scene.

Nakhon was stuck in the car and lost consciousness. Rescue volunteers had to use equipment to pull him out of the car and send him to hospital.

Witnesses said they saw the father and his daughter had stopped their car at the intersection and turned the right light on. Then, a ten-wheel truck came at high speed, as if to run a red light.

The driver lost control and the truck flipped over. Police were collecting evidence to charge the driver with reckless driving leading to the death of another.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30387620

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-11

• Sad 4

Just now, bluesofa said:

As we know, anything goes here.

Trying to find a clear definition in the Thai highway is difficult.

In the UK Highway Code you are required to stop when the amber light (alone) shows:

"AMBER means ‘Stop’ at the stop line. You may go on only if the AMBER appears after you have crossed the stop line or are so close to it that to pull up might cause an accident."

yes, i will defend my action by concluding i could not stop in a timely manner, but the amber light gave me ample warning ahead of time,

i cant with a straight face claim i didnt have time to stop before red light

34 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

yes, i will defend my action by concluding i could not stop in a timely manner, but the amber light gave me ample warning ahead of time,

i cant with a straight face claim i didnt have time to stop before red light

Perhaps the excuse for apparently driving through the red light in this case was 'micro-sleep'?

23 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Perhaps the excuse for apparently driving through the red light in this case was 'micro-sleep'?

micro sleep is actually a real thing, i drove sleeping through an entire city once when i was working, admittedly a small town and the road was straight luckily, with only 2 red lights that apparently was green for me.

on many other occasions my eyes were taking pics, it was no longer a continuous video, that is what concentration 12 hours in a row causes

Not only truck drivers but any driver whatsoever is being let on the road without any driving lessins to teach them how traffic works . After only 1 day test on an empty parkinglot kind of track , people are given their license and of you go into to wide open world of millions of other morons never having driven a meter in real traffic . When the light turns red they think they can still run it before the other line pulls up and the green light pulls up without looking if anybody is running the red light . At crossings how many people pass the red light to quickly pull up in line behind the traffic jamming the crossing , blocking traffic . We can go on and on about things like this but there is no end to it , it will never change because the whole system is f@#$% up . Many accidents and many innocent fictims, R.I.P to all the innocent and shame on all the causers of those accidents that should never have happened. Get them real punishement . I understand accidents happen but there are to many that should never have happened and still do because of sheer stupidity and reclesness .

Edited by Nanaplaza666
Some typo's
  • Like 2

you can see the idiot drivers/riders go through a red light well after you get the green light, they just dont like having to stop or go out of their way. Trucks seem to think because they are bigger they can do it and everyone will stop for them but cars and bikes do the same, the fact the police refuse to actually go out and police the roads etc doesnt help. Dont think I have ever seen everyone stop at a red light ever since I have lived here, there are always idiots that try to run them and  bike riders usually end up on the rough end of the stick, they are usually too stupid to realize that a bike is a lot less protection than a car/truck, probably why you see so many with bent legs

Edited by seajae

4 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

That truck has not 'flipped over'. Probably meant crossed over the kerb.

Yet another innocent victim caused by moronic untrained incompetent truck operator. I will refrain from using the word driver.

R.I.P. Young Lady and I hope the Father eventually comes to terms with his loss.

The photo in the OP is not of the accident in the report.

Like with most news stories i read here, it leaves more questions than answers.

563000005022903.jpeg.b9d3d8067c14b1f99d85748dd5f8c904.jpeg

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, bluesofa said:

As we know, anything goes here.

Trying to find a clear definition in the Thai highway is difficult.

In the UK Highway Code you are required to stop when the amber light (alone) shows:

"AMBER means ‘Stop’ at the stop line. You may go on only if the AMBER appears after you have crossed the stop line or are so close to it that to pull up might cause an accident."

In Thailand, the Amber Light means go faster!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, actonion said:

Its not driving here its "Aiming"    brake failure or failure to brake

More like 'BRAIN' failure. I had to laugh, when I read a few years ago, that the Thai Government and road authorities claimed that they based the Thai driving rules of the road on the UK one's.

It really doesn't matter what 'rules' are applied, unless the police enforce the rules and this is never going to happen in Thailand, they are a blxxdy disgrace and about as useful as a chocolate teapot. 

• Like 1

The horrendous fire on the junction of Petchaburi road and Wireless road in 1990 was caused by a maniac running a red light in a gas truck. He managed to kill 90 (they burned alive in their cars or in their dormitories) and horrendously injured another 121 as well as destroying a whole street of houses. The infamous scum driving was called Sutat Fackaelek (I'm normaIly pretty sabai; but in his case, I hope he had a terrible, screaming and slow death - he died at the scene) and was out of his head on yaba and booze.

It's about time they brought in stringent Heavy Goods Vehicle and Passenger Service vehicle driving licenses and harsh penalties for heavy vehicle drivers who commit second degree murder with their vehicles.

I know, I know. A man can dream can't he?

• Like 1

Love how many guys from the "hang 'em high then throw away the key" mob were witnesses to this tragedy.  I wasn't there.  I have no definitive evidence of what happened.  So I certainly wouldn't condemn the trucker without looking at the evidence.

It's also quite possible the car made a right turn in front of the truck, as they were apparently signalling to do.  There are tons of intersections in Thailand where the yellow light isn't long enough, given the speed limits and the sorry state of a lot of the vehicles.  Starting your turn before oncoming traffic has already stopped is dodgy, even if you do have the yellow light.  He may have flipped over because he was forced to brake and swerve to avoid a car that turned in front of him.  Or he may just be a bad driver.  Hopefully, they'll find some witnesses and dash cams that tell the whole story.

On 5/11/2020 at 8:53 AM, hotchilli said:

At the moment it should stand as manslaughter of one and attempted manslaughter of another.

Time to get these idiots off the road permanently

These "idiots" would have taken off the road permanently a long time ago if there would be another option.
These "idiots" are still driving heavy equipment because nobody wants to do their job at the present conditions (low wage, long working hours, etc.)
The only option would be a stronger and enforced law about using a recording device which records speed, driving hours, condition of the vehicle, etc.
But try to convince the transport companies and the police about that ....

22 hours ago, Boycie said:

The photo in the OP is not of the accident in the report.

Like with most news stories i read here, it leaves more questions than answers.

563000005022903.jpeg.b9d3d8067c14b1f99d85748dd5f8c904.jpeg

This makes more sense, i did not think the pic in the OP would have been fatal, but this one for sure!

1 hour ago, Confuscious said:

But try to convince the transport companies and the police about that

Corvid and it's low infection/death rates shut the country down... almost.

yet the people at the transport ministry seem to tolerate 50-70 deaths per day plus untold numbers of injuries...  strange that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1