Thailand seeks 50,000 men for hire aboard fishing boats

webfact

675927.jpg

BANGKOK: Despite adverse effects of the Covid-19 (coronavirus) pandemic, Thailand's fishing industry is currently looking to hire as many as 50,000 men to go out to sea aboard trawlers, said a senior government official on Sunday (May 10).

Phithoon Damsakhon, chief of the Department of Employment's provincial branch of Ranong in southern Thailand, quoted the National Fisheries Association of Thailand as reporting some 50,000 men are currently being sought for hire as skippers, mechanics and other crewmembers aboard fishing boats based in several coastal provinces of the country.

Tens of thousands of Myanmar migrant workers, earlier employed by the fishing industry either on shore or offshore, have already left for their home country and many others are believed to follow suit, thus aggravating labour shortages in Thailand's fishing sector, Phithoon said.

Full story: https://www.thestar.com.my/news/regional/2020/05/10/thailand-seeks-50000-men-for-hire-aboard-fishing-boats

-- The Star 2020 05-11

18 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Were they,foreign workers, not treated like slaves before and now they expect the Thai's to take the jobs?

I think they high-tailed it out of fear

Cramped quarters on boats are terrible for spreading viruses

Thais tend to work in the processing plants only.

Boat crews, overwhelmingly Cambodian, Burmese

4 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

They need a Thai fisheries union...unite for better working conditions, healthcare, and pay...and I don't even like unions...????

You don't mean the company "Thai Union"?.....Professional slave runners!

Anyway....a fishermans union, or more realistically, any union, does not work in Thailand....companies take no notice, the government even less.

• Like 2

Perhaps you can start by offering a living wage and treating these men with some dignity and respect?

Restarting an economy after an economic shutdown, which was a great insanity experiment, is a challenging thing to do. Assume it will take quite some time. 

• Like 2

When you sign up for a job, you kinds expect to get paid for doing the work. The chances of getting paid by the charming folk who own and skipper these bats is vanishingly small as thousands of press ganged foreigners, with the cooperation of the local police, have found out to their health, their cost and sometimes their lives.. 

Avoid these boats at all costs. Living in Thailand as I do it is also unimaginable to think that these boats have even rudimentary safety procedures or are maintained to any degree of sea worthiness. Avoid at all costs.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

They will first have to make sure that all the boat owners put in writing ( and adhere to ) new arrangement to better Pay and  work and living conditions and not treat the crew as slaves.

4 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

They also could send out recruiters to all those currently jobless bar girls. After all, they know how to bait and hook some fish. 

Some even smell of it!

4 hours ago, tyga said:

would be better if they stayed in port and allowed the fish to replenish. hen they'd need less fisherman as it is inefficient now catching fish due to the difficulty in catching enough

It would. Sometimes I look out to sea at night - I can see a chunk of the Andaman Sea from my house - and there are literally hundreds of lit-up squid/octopus boats. When out en masse there are way more of them than before the lockdown and only a couple at other times oddly. But it's not hard to imagine there's serious overfishing going on. No life between here and the Andaman/Nicobar Islands but when you get past them the contrast is amazing: fish, whales, dolphins, birds all the way to Sri Lanka.

1 minute ago, katatonic said:

It would. Sometimes I look out to sea at night - I can see a chunk of the Andaman Sea from my house - and there are literally hundreds of lit-up squid/octopus boats. When out en masse there are way more of them than before the lockdown and only a couple at other times oddly. But it's not hard to imagine there's serious overfishing going on. No life between here and the Andaman/Nicobar Islands but when you get past them the contrast is amazing: fish, whales, dolphins, birds all the way to Sri Lanka.

I live on the 26th floor on Na Jomtien beach. Lately there have been notably fewer boats. I started really watching during that last Buddhist holiday, I thought they were taking a holiday, but less than half the normal night lights out there since.