Rayong: Teen found dead apparently electrocuted by phone charger/extension cord

webfact

Rayong: Teen found dead apparently electrocuted by phone charger/extension cord

9pm.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

Muang Rayong police were called by a rescue foundation after a 15 year old boy was found dead outside an upstairs bedroom in a house in the downtown area.

The boy was lying on a phone charger that was attached to an extension cord. 

His distraught father said that his eldest boy had called him to come home from the mattress shop where he worked after finding his younger sibling unresponsive. 

The father said that he was on the verge of getting a computer table for his son because he didn't like him working on the floor. 

He said he had warned him about lying down with the phone charger by his body. 

His son had finished M3 and was about to enter the fourth grade of secondary school when the school term eventually starts. 

77kaoded reported that there was no sign of foul play and it appeared the boy had been electrocuted. 

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-05-11

• Sad 1

this is really really sad .... the boy was only 15yrs old and probably a good boy. His brother found him and tried to arouse him however he was already dead from being electrocuted.

If he only knew it was dangerous to lay on top or right next to his charger connection this would never have happened. The family must be so distraught now, can you imagine ...

RIP YOUNG MAN.

• Like 1

Damn sad thing ☹️
a good reason to do everything possible to ban and remove these cheap faulty chargers (I guess mostly made in China?) from Thailand. Bit difficult to do I guess but goodness me something needs doing about this! 

6 hours ago, OnTheGround said:

Again a phone charger takes a life.

Is it a bit of tape around the cable?

RIP young boy.

20200511_105200.jpg

20200511_105840.jpg

But that is on the low voltage side and wouldn't make a fly jump.

32 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

Damn sad thing ☹️
a good reason to do everything possible to ban and remove these cheap faulty chargers (I guess mostly made in China?) from Thailand. Bit difficult to do I guess but goodness me something needs doing about this! 

I think you'll find the official chargers and all the iphones are made in China too.

Apple - making China great again eh?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, samsensam said:

basic electric infrastructure here worries me, the careless attitude many locals have to electricity really scares me.

I'm not sure if I'm going to die on the roads or because of the electricity, but there's a good chance it will be one or the other in Thailand.

• Like 2

These are the cheap chargers. When the insulation between the inside and outside circuit breaks you will get the full power from the outside circuit inside where you have normally only 5V and perhaps 2 Ampere. 

• Thanks 2

when you buy a used 'phone from one of the market stalls, they always(?) seem to give you a 'free' non original (copy) charger for it.

what happens to all the original chargers? ????

1.sold separately for premium

2.they are a collectable item

3.somehow lost

4.phone was......err 'lost' and 'recovered'????

Just say no to off-brand chargers. 

Even buying one marked as Apple or Samsung is dangerous as most of these are knockoffs too. 

Better to buy from a known third-party brand like Anker. If it's cheap it's cr*p. 

All of my chargers are Anker for the last few years and they've never failed me. 

On 5/11/2020 at 6:48 AM, Almer said:

But that is on the low voltage side and wouldn't make a fly jump.

Shhh. I like the BS from the OP better. It will make for a good movie scene in Final Destination 2020.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gumballl said:

Shhh. I like the BS from the OP better. It will make for a good movie scene in Final Destination 2020.

or the lemmings jump into Apple for the cheapest deal 

1394885882_lemmingsjumpontoacheapdeal.gif.080eec685daafd9a691170caf738f020.gif 

It's not only the charger that is the problem , if they had lived in a building with good earth, this would never have happened. 

Edited by balo

Have never seen a phone charger with a 3 pin plug so having a building earth would not have avoided this.

What is required is a residual current trip that activates when 30mA of current flows through the body to earth. No gurantee that 30mA would not kill you but a good chance of survival.

Note that all new electrical installations are now required to have some form of RCD installed to pass inspection.

27 minutes ago, balo said:

It's not only the charger that is the problem , if they had lived in a building with good earth, this would never have happened. 

True that many buildings here have no or poor earthing systems, however that would probably not have saved this boy's life, because there is no means of earthing these phone chargers, being that they have only two pins and no need for an earth.

The problem is that the so-called charger is not like the old-fashioned transformers, and uses some quite sophisticated circuitry to be able to get the 220 V AC input down to a charging voltage of 5 V DC, and when this circuitry is substandard/faulty, then there is a potential to get the full 220 V flowing through that very thin lead, into the phone itself, thereby causing a problem and in some cases death.

• Like 1