Jump to content
BANGKOK
webfact

Rayong: Teen found dead apparently electrocuted by phone charger/extension cord

Recommended Posts

These are the cheap chargers. When the insulation between the inside and outside circuit breaks you will get the full power from the outside circuit inside where you have normally only 5V and perhaps 2 Ampere. 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even it is a cheap Chinese made charger, the current will not leak through insulating cover.

I still don't get it how he got electrocuted. 

Only legitimate cause I can think of is 'made in China'.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

when you buy a used 'phone from one of the market stalls, they always(?) seem to give you a 'free' non original (copy) charger for it.

what happens to all the original chargers? 🤔

1.sold separately for premium

2.they are a collectable item

3.somehow lost

4.phone was......err 'lost' and 'recovered'🤫

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just say no to off-brand chargers. 

Even buying one marked as Apple or Samsung is dangerous as most of these are knockoffs too. 

 

Better to buy from a known third-party brand like Anker. If it's cheap it's cr*p. 

All of my chargers are Anker for the last few years and they've never failed me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2020 at 10:06 PM, DaiHard said:

Extension cord had no earth.

Why have an earth, when 99% of buildings don't have an earth?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2020 at 6:48 AM, Almer said:

But that is on the low voltage side and wouldn't make a fly jump.

Shhh. I like the BS from the OP better. It will make for a good movie scene in Final Destination 2020.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Gumballl said:

Shhh. I like the BS from the OP better. It will make for a good movie scene in Final Destination 2020.

or the lemmings jump into Apple for the cheapest deal 

1394885882_lemmingsjumpontoacheapdeal.gif.080eec685daafd9a691170caf738f020.gif 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It's not only the charger that is the problem , if they had lived in a building with good earth, this would never have happened. 

Edited by balo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have never seen a phone charger with a 3 pin plug so having a building earth would not have avoided this.

 

What is required is a residual current trip that activates when 30mA of current flows through the body to earth. No gurantee that 30mA would not kill you but a good chance of survival.

 

Note that all new electrical installations are now required to have some form of RCD installed to pass inspection.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, balo said:

It's not only the charger that is the problem , if they had lived in a building with good earth, this would never have happened. 

True that many buildings here have no or poor earthing systems, however that would probably not have saved this boy's life, because there is no means of earthing these phone chargers, being that they have only two pins and no need for an earth.

 

The problem is that the so-called charger is not like the old-fashioned transformers, and uses some quite sophisticated circuitry to be able to get the 220 V AC input down to a charging voltage of 5 V DC, and when this circuitry is substandard/faulty, then there is a potential to get the full 220 V flowing through that very thin lead, into the phone itself, thereby causing a problem and in some cases death.
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...