Opinions, recommendations RE: Optima Titan 4000 bicycle

Samui Bodoh

Hello Fellow Cyclists

I ride 20-30 KM every morning (pre-dawn) on the newly-paved main road on Koh Samui. That's it; I don't do off-road, I don't do lousy roads, I don't do cross-country or mountain trails; I keep the bicycle in the highest gear 98% of the time, pedal and make the Thai cyclists 'eat my dust'. Period.

Thus, while I like to have a reasonably good bicycle, I genuinely do not need anything too fancy; this is pleasure, cardio, and morning exercise.

Is anyone familiar with the Optima Titan 4000? (https://www.optima.bike/product/titan-4000/). Does anyone have one? Any thoughts? Opinions? Does anyone know if Optima is a Thai company or an International one? Any knowledge of reputation? Further, I want to ask about sizes. The one that I am looking at is a 17 (it comes in sizes 15.5 and 17). Does that make sense to anyone? Is it roughly appropriate? I am 6'1'' or 183 CM. The reason that I am asking about this particular model is that there is one available (18,900), and thus I could (theoretically) buy it tomorrow; I am wary of ordering a bike from off-island as you can never be entirely certain what will arrive and dealing with that is something that I do not want to do (if avoidable).

So, any thoughts? Opinions? Recommendations?

If you think it is not a good idea, what would you do in my position (under the current circumstances)? Any other specific makes/models? I have had a Trek Marlin 6 for several years, and while it has been okay, I am not super enthusiastic about them anymore (The current one is going to go for a swim in the ocean- don't ask!).

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers

SB

Although I don't have an Optima Titan 4000 by its appearance it looks like a "Off road" bike (straight handle bar, shocks, disc brakes ). A "road" bike might be more appropriate (handle bar curves down, no shocks or disc brakes)..Just saying ????

Plus shopee has the "Optima Titan 4000" for 10,9000 thb

• Like 2

Optima is a Thai company, good reputation with interests in Taiwan. 

Optima 4000. Components at the budget end but can work for your intended road biased use. Size wise, 17 can probably work. For me [similar height] I think I could get by with a 40cm seatpost, the reach might need a longer stem.

Agree with beachproperty, can't help thinking you'd be better off with a hybrid/road style bike. Much lighter and much, much faster with better road gearing. No need to waste your money on a heavy suspension fork, wheels and triple ring.

• Like 2

Hi @bobfish and @beachproperty

Many thanks for your replies, and I think you both have made great comments.

I see a sale at Probike for a Domane al 2 @12,900, which looks like both a good bike and a good price for me.

Any thoughts? You guys are on a roll...

Cheers

SB

https://www.probike.co.th/bike-and-frameset/793/2020-domane-al-2/

Edited by Samui Bodoh
Need Coffee

I just checked their website, the road bikes i saw looked overpriced which may mean the others are.  You don't need a mountain bike for the road. Ideally a road bike is best but if you don't fancy that then a hybrid, lighter and faster than a mountain bike but slower than a road bike

• Like 2

The other thing i noticed on that website was the frame sizes were on the small size, so it's tailored to the asian market.

Each manufacturer should have a size guide for each model. One downside to shops is they will try to sell you a smaller size if they haven't got the correct bigger size

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Hi @bobfish and @beachproperty

Many thanks for your replies, and I think you both have made great comments.

I see a sale at Probike for a Domane al 2 @12,900, which looks like both a good bike and a good price for me.

Any thoughts? You guys are on a roll...

Cheers

SB

https://www.probike.co.th/bike-and-frameset/793/2020-domane-al-2/

That Domane has a carbon fork with basic components. But, it will be solid and do the trick. It's actually a good price.  

Key will be sizing as mentioned, you'll probably want a 58cm, but could maybe get away with a longer stem/seatpost/seat offset on a smaller size depending on your body proportions. There are a number of online sizing calculators [or phone apps] that look at measurements such as inseam, torso, arm reach, etc and come up with geometry recommendations. Challenging to compare bikes as manufacturers differ in measuring datums. However, effective seat height, effective top tube length, reach and stack height are the main numbers to look at to get you in the ball park. You can probably find those numbers from your Marlin if you know the year and size, but beware that MTB's are in general more forgiving of sizing errors [I know there are counter arguments to that statement, but don't want to go down that rabbit hole right now!]

There are some good deals around right now, although as Scbascuba3 points out, bikes like the Trek Madone Project One at Bt443,000 may or may not be....

Good luck!

• Like 1

The Trek is an excellent bike, 100x better than the Optima you mentioned. Try and find somewhere locally where you can try Trek's sizing out (bike shop or rental place), failing that just order a 58cm, still lots of ways to adjust the bike to suit you (saddle, seatpost, stem etc.). EDIT: sorry bobfish already said that.

Here are some other deals:

https://www.bahtsold.com/view/bike-394885 (Koh Phangan)

https://www.bahtsold.com/view/specialized-tarmac-sl4-expert-58cm-394538 (over budget but amazing bike and 58cm)

https://888bike.net/category/3/จักรยานเสือหมอบทัวริ่งไฮบริด

Edited by SteveK