Stranded in the UK or working offshore / overseas can't get back to Thailand

scotsdude

I was wondering out of curiosity how many of us on TV are actually stranded in the UK or working offshore / overseas and can't get back to their families in Thailand. I'll be 8 weeks at sea by the time we dock in the UK with no prospect of flying back anytime soon. I read a lot of discussions about when will tourism return etc. But little or no mention of those of us with lives & families in Thailand who desperately want to see loved ones again...

• Like 2

Brother stuck in Kuwait since mid Feb ( although he was given the option to leave and said he'd sat ).

Mate stuck in Saudi from about the same time, no choice to leave.

I got home March 12th, would rather be here than stuck anywhere irrespective of a large pay day!

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Brother stuck in Kuwait since mid Feb ( although he was given the option to leave and said he'd sat ).

Mate stuck in Saudi from about the same time, no choice to leave.

I got home March 12th, would rather be here than stuck anywhere irrespective of a large pay day!

I was forced to fly back to the UK on the 9th of March so as to carry out 14 days quarantine before joining the vessel on the 23rd of March. Thailand was then classed as Category 2. They threatened to stop wages if I didn't comply. Only got 11 days with the family that last time instead of the usual 26 and we've had to do a eight week trip instead of four. That'll be ten weeks away by we dock next Monday and June doesn't look very promising either for flying back. Nightmare...

1 minute ago, scotsdude said:

I was forced to fly back to the UK on the 9th of March so as to carry out 14 days quarantine before joining the vessel on the 23rd of March. Thailand was then classed as Category 2. They threatened to stop wages if I didn't comply. Only got 11 days with the family that last time instead of the usual 26 and we've had to do a eight week trip instead of four. That'll be ten weeks away by we dock next Monday and June doesn't look very promising either for flying back. Nightmare...

Yeah not good.

Think of the pay cheque, every cloud has a silver lining.

Being away is not the end of the world what would concern me is an emergency of any nature, that would be a night mare!

• Like 2

Stuck in Iraq since mid Dec last year. Wrong leave rotation then one country not allowing people from another country etc. Thinking Sept / Oct before I get back to my family in Thailand. I do hope Thai Immigration have some sympathy with guys like us. Miss them so much.

• Sad 1

Understand your feelings, I am stuck in Vietnam - contract ends late July. And am going to retire, I am Aussie, Thai wife, one child, money in bank and house in Issan, I been here since Tet (Mid Jan)  What are the conditions that will allow me to enter Thailand.

Will it be open by then as I do have an option to extend contract by 6 months

2 hours ago, Isac Szwarc Brasil said:

Hi,

I am stuck in Sao Paulo since march 23rd.

Is there any thing we can do to help us to go back home in Thailand ????

Isac

Don't think of it as stuck when you're in Sao Paulo. If you were in South California, Iraq, Italy, Iran, Saudi or Kuwait you could say stuck, but not Sao Paulo. ???????? (I've never been there, but I have the others so it's easy for me to pick).

15 minutes ago, itsallmine68 said:

IF they reopen the boarders to Thailand by air and the restrictions are still in place has anyone aquired teh $100,000USD insurance If so where Thanks for your help

The US$100,000 insurance requirement was an arbitrary deterrent to those seeking to travel to Thailand. There are absolutely no guarantees that if/when the Thai borders re-open that the C-19 insurance, C-19 health certificate or even if any of the current visa-exempt entries will still apply.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, nglodnig said:

Wife in Thailand, I'm stuck in Singapore - no flights to there. Haven't been back to the UK for eight years, left there over twenty years ago - it's a foreign country to me.

Same for me.. Late January and was due home early April. Guess I'll be owed a few months leave ????

• Thanks 1

This is just another of the many things the Thai government has got wrong, it is inhuman and downright evil to stop people who live in Thailand getting back in to their wives and kids.

Even if it means 14 days isolation, and may I point out this does not apply to me personally or anyone I know.

• Like 1

Currently stuck in the uk for the last 8 weeks, retirement extension due January, fear that will not happen - mainly due to Thailand declaring Europe still a hot zone for many months after the Chinese flood back for fear of infecting their golden goose. Hope i'm 100% wrong

opposite for me, got back mid february and the day after was told i wouldnt be allowed to return. only had two trips left before rig was out of contract anyway but cannot even start to look for new work until all travel restrictions are lifted. As an aside , i have just done my first 90 day report for 4 years haha

Stuck in the U.K. with my Thai partner and son, we were supposed to fly back this week no idea when we can return to Thailand. My partners visa expires the first week in September. She and my son have vouchers for B.A who are showing flights in September to BKK from Newcastle.

I'm in the UK and my wife back in Thailand. This was to be the year we were retiring permanently to Thailand and my wife went ahead of me before the lockdown. I was last there in February. Our house in the UK was put on the market 3 days before the lockdown. Took it off on the advice of the agent, to be re-listed once the lockdown eases. How much prices have dropped who knows. May need to work for another year or two. I've been looking forward to this year for a long time, now Covid-19 has ruined things. But still I can't complain. I'm healthy, alive, and a lot better off than many people who have lost their jobs etc. One of the lucky ones in that respect.

I can't say I'm stuck in the UK as I didn't live in Thailand before the current crisis - for the last 10 years or so, I've visited Thailand every 8 weeks for 2 weeks. However, like many others, I can't visit my wife in Thailand and worry about what restrictions will be in place when travel is allowed again. I suspect that whatever measures are implemented, people from the UK will be subject to the harshest of them due to the level on infection here.

Talking to others in the same position, there is a consesus that when we we are eventually allowed to visit we will be subject to 2 weeks quarantine. If that quarantine was allowed to be at home, I'd happily comply but my wife seems to think it will have to be at a government approved facility. In that case, I would not be able to visit as I can't take a month off work to enable 2 weeks quarantine + 2 weeks with my wife.

That's just a consensus though - there are no official answers as yet and that's the worst part.  If the Thai authorities said travel will not be allowed until December for example, that would be horrific but we would at least have a date to work to.

If the previously un-attainable insurance requirement is brought back - that would prevent future travel altogether. There are also other worries with people forecasting much higher prices when they start flying again. So many questions and no answers.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KhaoYai said:

I can't say I'm stuck in the UK as I didn't live in Thailand before the current crisis - for the last 10 years or so, I've visited Thailand every 8 weeks for 2 weeks. However, like many others, I can't visit my wife in Thailand and worry about what restrictions will be in place when travel is allowed again. I suspect that whatever measures are implemented, people from the UK will be subject to the harshest of them due to the level on infection here.

Talking to others in the same position, there is a consesus that when we we are eventually allowed to visit we will be subject to 2 weeks quarantine. If that quarantine was allowed to be at home, I'd happily comply but my wife seems to think it will have to be at a government approved facility. In that case, I would not be able to visit as I can't take a month off work to enable 2 weeks quarantine + 2 weeks with my wife.

That's just a consensus though - there are no official answers as yet and that's the worst part.  If the Thai authorities said travel will not be allowed until December for example, that would be horrific but we would at least have a date to work to.

If the previously un-attainable insurance requirement is brought back - that would prevent future travel altogether. There are also other worries with people forecasting much higher prices when they start flying again. So many questions and no answers.

I think Thailand like a lot of places are in catch 22 situation as what they will put in place to allow tourists to return. Mandatory Health Insurance wouldn’t work as.there wouldn’t be many companies be prepared to cover you for Covid19. A Covid19 test prior to leaving your departure date would be difficult to arrange, it depends what sacrifices and pressure from businesses how or what restrictions Thailand are going to put in place.

Came back to Channel Islands to introduce misses to my elderly folks, stayed for Mothers day and still here. No ferries and only compassionate flights from here to UK, and then misses would have to go through hoops to get back to Thailand and no chance for me. Trouble is her Tourist Visa runs out at the end of the month plus I have to remit ฿65k to maintain my O Visa extension which leaves us tight for money. Just have to suck it up. At least everyone has remained virus free and it's been good to take care of my folks. 

6 hours ago, dode57k said:

Mid February for me. Stuck in Aberdeen.

Same as myself but I'm a bit further south in Fife.

No family back in Thailand but that's where my house and possessions lie - in the meantime I'm back living with my mother in a tiny bungalow. Not ideal for an older bloke and, like many of us, I don't see me getting back to Thailand until deep into the second half of the year. Hope I'm wrong...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I think Thailand like a lot of places are in catch 22 situation as what they will put in place to allow tourists to return.

I appreciate that but as (at the moment) the airports are supposed to be allowing international flights again from 1 June, they better get their skates on and decide what measures they plan to put in place.