Stranded in the UK or working offshore / overseas can't get back to Thailand

scotsdude

3 minutes ago, smudger1951 said:

So its 5 months since I've seen my long time partner.  Notwithstanding the resumption of flights schedules I await the stringent requirements that will be inposed.

It will be interesting to what restrictions the government can impose, first ad foremost what restrictions the airline will impose for the flight then on arrival in Thailand I think 2 weeks quarantine at a traceable address.

Its down to economics and how much Thailand wants tourism to restart, no one can wave a magic wand and make Covid19 go away, it’s about managing it the best you can.

On 5/12/2020 at 9:08 PM, smudger1951 said:

So its 5 months since I've seen my long time partner.  Notwithstanding the resumption of flights schedules I await the stringent requirements that will be inposed.

3 months since I've seen my wife, but I'm sure it will be 5-6 months minimum eventually before I get to see her again, And yes, what will be the quarantine and insurance hurdles. I do have an annual travel insurance policy, I'm not sure if it covers Covid or not, I'll need to check.

Edited by Tuvoc

Following wonderful carefree holiday, in mid-Feb I kissed my Wife and Son and said see you in 4 weeks - I wish I'd have hugged them just a little bit longer.

What ensued was 7 weeks of hell, locked down in Dubai and huge uncertainty before my work terminated all contracts. The only available option was to take a repatriation flight to the UK.

I'm now stuck in the UK waiting for the first solid opportunity to return home to my Wife and Son.

Fortunately, my Wife is handling things extremely well especially with my Sons home schooling.

Its incredible how life can be turned upside down so quickly - Now without my family, without a job - I long for the times of that wonderful carefree holiday. If I could 'take a pill' and fast forward to when this is all over and times are good again, I would.

20 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:
On 5/12/2020 at 9:08 PM, smudger1951 said:

3 months since I've seen my wife, but I'm sure it will be 5-6 months minimum eventually before I get to see her again, And yes, what will be the quarantine and insurance hurdles. I do have an annual travel insurance policy, I'm not sure if it covers Covid or not, I'll need to check.

Its time for our (Wife & Son's) insurance renewal. The response from LUMA was that Covid-19 and any other respiratory illnesses are covered as normal. I am about to chose APRIL insurance for us all (Wife, Son and Myself) as I am no longer covered by my Employer (after contracts were terminated as a result of this lock down).

Thus: I think finding insurance which covers Covid-19 is simple enough.

Obtaining the 'Covid-19 free' certification is going to be the tricky part.

Also, I wonder if people from places with a higher Covid-19 case load; Europe and the US etc will face further delays and restrictions on our return to Thailand while a return to Tourism will be permitted for those from China, South Korea etc.

I dread waiting another two months or more before I can see my family but fear that is the heartbreaking reality.

On 5/12/2020 at 4:53 AM, nglodnig said:

Wife in Thailand, I'm stuck in Singapore - no flights to there. Haven't been back to the UK for eight years, left there over twenty years ago - it's a foreign country to me.

It's a foreign country to all of us these days even if we still live there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

Probably not covered as the UK Government say only travel to Thailand if essential, business etc.

Just now, Jumbo1968 said:

Probably not covered as the UK Government say only travel to Thailand if essential, business etc.

True, only after that advice has changed.

Ridiculous though, that advice is way out of date. You're safer in Thailand than here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Would my partner and son qualify for a repatriation flight,her Visa expires in September, our son has a U.K. passport. I have emailed the Thai Embassy in London, I am not sure I sent it to the right department but I have received no reply. The reason I was enquiring was my son will be due to go back to school, I assume I would have to pay the fares ?

Managed to get back here from Nigeria on the 17th of March. Glad about it.

A colleague decided to do a bit more work in the yard. He is still stuck there, entered Nigeria on the 10 of Jan. Now he is just doing another 2 weeks of quarantine after an in country flight from PH to Lagos. A vessel is coming down from the UK to Lagos where the next job will be. No end in sight. 

My brother left Oz in Feb for China. 2 weeks quarantine in Sheckou, then offshore. He is still there. Doing 5 weeks offshore, 1 week onshore in a hotel. Then back out again. His back to back is living here in Thailand. Who knows when his hitch will come to an end.