Marathons in Thailand

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes , I have ran 3 full marathons here in Thailand ,  most recent one , this Year, end of January at Khon Kaen.

The biggest challenge apart from the distance itself , is the race against the rising of the Sun.

5 hours ago, dastott said:

What time do these marathons usually start? Would hate to be still running after 9am...

Pattaya Marathon 2019 started 3:30am. But when talking July 21 it really doesn't matter because it's in the middle of the rainy season when the humidity is at least 80%. They should move it to December. 

Part of the fun is go to see different towns. I know stay away from the big city marathons like Phuket, Bangkok or Pattaya as it’s a quagmire at the start and some like luguna have narrow roads. At times you’re walking or standing if you start at the back. Many people trip over because it’s crowded and you’re running in the dark to avoid the heat .  The best marathons weatherwise are in the north from October to February . Flat courses are preferable for a first time marathon. I would recommend  Nong Khai or Tha Rae in December. Getting an entry to the one you’ve researched and chosen is always a mission as the events often sell out quickly online. The sport is getting more popular every year and there are now a lot of events . Another tip you run, is to only drink the bottled water as often I would get sick from drinking the Water offered in open cups.
Partly due to the lockdown there are now virtual runs in the choice of your own location..

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly the Nong Khai marathon was cancelled - that was going to be my BQ attempt.

The Bang Saen marathon is really popular and well reviewed. They just announced today a placeholder date of Nov 8 - https://www.bangsaen42.com/

Not sure I'll be ready, as I was planning for a Dec. marathon, not Nov., but by the looks of things it may be the only one that goes ahead this year.