Daytime riding

SteveK

Do any of you guys ride during the daytime heat? Are there any tricks to make it easier?

After about 20 minutes I start struggling with a constant stream of sweat stinging my eyes, not fun.

I know exactly what you mean.

I bought a head sweatband specifically for this - and no, I've never been a fashion victim in my life!

When it's really hot the sweatband absorbs 90% of the sweat from my forehead. There's just a very small amount that 'develops' between the bottom of the sweatband and my eyes.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, SteveK said:

The one below I bought from Lazada for 59 Baht.

It looks slightly wider than the one you've ordered. However I see mine is no longer available.

I'm sure they're all pretty much similar. Let us know how it performs.

351f9c475b4f52cfde3876efb97fa7bb.jpg

1 hour ago, SteveK said:

Do any of you guys ride during the daytime heat? Are there any tricks to make it easier?

Up at 7am, out by 7:30am, finished 10Km around 8am.

Similar in the evening.

Almost zero sweat.

Edited by BritManToo

To reduce sweat I use a Buff or similar with the front folded into a cuff, and it stops sunburn on my bald patch! If riding during midday/early afternoon make sure to hydrate. I try to choose shaded roads and avoid long climbs to keep a cool breeze going. Limiting the rides to 2hrs or [road] around 50k's helps. 

'Tricks'...? Soak the Buff [and arm protectors] in water before setting off. Tried jumping in the pool pre-ride with limited success - tip: dry socks!

I wear a cycling cap under my helmet. I leave early, well before sunrise, but, by the time I get back home, it certainly is sunny and hot. Keep hydrated, perhaps try coldblack fabric sleeves, and, depending on how you feel about lycra, hot weather cycling jerseys. If you go hard in Thailand, you'll sweat regardless of what time or whether the sun's up or not.

Edited by malathione
additional info.
  • Like 1

Nowadays I leave at 0630am at the latest and I make sure to be back before 11am. Yes, I sweat, but I already start doing that after 15 minutes. However, sweat doesn’t get into my eyes - maybe you are not going fast enough?????????

Make sure to carry enough water - I start off with a 0.5 ltr and a 0.75 ltr bottle and that covers up to 65 - 70 km before refill.

• Like 1

I sweat like a horse, and stop often for drinks.  My 700 ml water bottle does me about 40 km.

If its a really long ride (> 100 km), we'll maybe leave earlier in the morning, to make sure we're in the pub by 5 pm.  I prefer to take a sit down for lunch in the shade.

Suncream on my face and balding pate would probably be sensible.

If you don't tell anyone the route, you won't get dropped until close to home.

SC

Yeah, the heat is fierce around this time of year.  Best to ride early morning or end of day.  I can handle the heat even during mid-day (you get used to it after a while) but sweat in the eyes drives me crazy too.  As somebody said, a bandana on your head as a sweatband works pretty good. Also, a good riding helmet with a good built-in sweat band and good ventilation for your head does wonders but still sweat in the eyes when you're moving slow like in traffic is a pain.

I can't wear glasses when it's this hot.  Sweat just drips down on the lenses and the lenses steam up form body heat.  I really don't like the lack of eye protection; that's my biggest complaint and I've tried several different glasses and none do too well.  If anybody has found a solution, I''d like to know.

Edited by WaveHunter

6 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

{snipped}

I can't wear glasses when it's this hot.  Sweat just drips down on the lenses and the lenses steam up form body heat.  I really don't like the lack of eye protection; that's my biggest complaint and I've tried several different glasses and none do too well.  If anybody has found a solution, I''d like to know.

That's an interesting point about the glasses. I wear glasses too, but have never had the sweat drip into the lenses.

We must have our heads at different angles?

I have straight handlebars but do have my head horizontal, or if not, at an angle very slightly below the horizontal. Is your head pointing downwards more acutely perhaps?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

hat's an interesting point about the glasses. I wear glasses too, but have never had the sweat drip into the lenses.

We must have our heads at different angles?

Same for me, no sweat on my lens.

I'm buggered if it rains though.

Edited by BritManToo

I can't get out before 8:00am, usually 8:30 for a 3-5 hour ride. Yes, it's pretty hot by the time we get back. During the smoky season I usually go out for 3 hours, leaving at about 3:00pm when the air is slightly cleaner. It sucks walking out of an air conditioned house into 40° heat, but as the sun goes down over the mountains, creating more shade, and the temps drop, it's actually pleasant at the end of the ride when it may be 35-37°.
Except when I'm climbing, we're moving fast enough that the sweat isn't a problem. Even climbing, sweat doesn't burn unless I use sunscreen.
Staying fully hydrated at all times helps too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Stinging eyes from sweat used to be the bane of my rides until I discovered Vaseline.

I smear a narrow continuous band from the left side of my face just below my left eye, across my forehead (just above my eyebrows) finishing just below my right eye.

In effect, an inverted semi-circle. 

Plenty of sunscreen and a diluted 750ml mix of Sponsor and water for hydration and replenishment of electrolytes.

With an 8am start and two short stops for refills, I usually complete 90-100km before noon.

I still sweat like crazy but my eyes are pain-free.

The heat never becomes 'easy' but I'm starting to find that 39 degrees does not hurt as much as it used to.

Happy riding ????

On 5/12/2020 at 11:24 AM, SteveK said:

I struggle with evening rides. Go too early and end up getting cooked, go too late and end up riding home in the dark.

Go too early, cool down in the pub, ride home in the dark.

Go a little bit earlier, spend too long in the pub, walk the bike home in the dark. 

Go out in the morning... collect the bike from the pub tomorrow.

After almost 2 months of daily riding, I have definitely become a bit more used to riding in the heat. Still, I try to avoid riding between 10am and 4pm. The wife is starting to disapprove of my bike riding because I'm darker than her now.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, SteveK said:

After almost 2 months of daily riding, I have definitely become a bit more used to riding in the heat. Still, I try to avoid riding between 10am and 4pm. The wife is starting to disapprove of my bike riding because I'm darker than her now.

Darker in a cynical sort of way, or pessimistic?

• Haha 1

I find a baseball cap tightly fitted helps to soak up the sweat - that and on my last haircut I got my hair shaved to US Marine lengths - i.e. almost non-existent.  The visor on the cap keeps the sun off my face too!

On 5/12/2020 at 10:19 AM, BritManToo said:

Up at 7am, out by 7:30am, finished 10Km around 8am.

Similar in the evening.

Almost zero sweat.

With me it's up at 7 am out by 7. 15

and finished my 2 km circuit around 7.30. 

Could shave that time down but only if I gave up eating hot patango whilst peddling.