What Age Did You Move Here?

What age did you move here ?   

299 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, whiteman said:

57 the right time for me and I never looked back I am 73 now and still happy here

Very close , I arrived when I was  58 and am now 73.  Still happy here , the thought of an English winter chills me to me bones.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

48 when I came here, life looked a lot different then, the decisions and ideas/dreams 14 yrs later if I knew then what I know now, I wouldve got back on that plane and never returned.

The west isnt that good. Very pc and lots of unhappy people.

You are lucky to live in Thailand.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Will we still be here in 5 years ? I don't know, might be down south where the air is best near the sea, e.g. Phuket or Krabi, might be back in a town 2-4 hours drive out of Sydney, might be dead, so will just keep enjoying the clearer air here for now with my morning coffees on the front porch chatting away with the Mrs until it gets to hot, then inside we go.

After many years in cities -  Bangkok and Khon Kaen, we're planning on moving to the sea. Probably Hua Hin. Came up here for business in 2004 but the air is getting bad. My wife is from outside Bangkok, so not quite sure why we're still here, apart from the kids being settled in school. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, n00dle said:

i suspect there is a significant difference in the attitudes of folks who came here to work in their mid to late 20s and stayed on after making a life, to those who moved here much later in life to retire.

I agree. I think those who came in their 20s started a new life and realize they have to integrate into society to give themselves more opportunities.

Those who retire here generally don't feel the need to change and are set in their Western ways and quite content to rely on that healthy pension and be an outsider. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Very close , I arrived when I was  58 and am now 73.  Still happy here , the thought of an English winter chills me to me bones.

you english are quite cute when it comes to what you consider *winter* 

came in 2004 at 27. stayed for like 6 years. went home for 11. back last year. things are so different now. some good some bad. 

7 hours ago, simon43 said:

Moved here at 43 years old, used Thailand as my 'base' but spent happier times in Laos and Burma. Last year I finally moved my base out of Thailand (visa too expensive, no WP for online work, too much immigration reporting, too much xenophobia etc) to north Laos - very content now ????

Moved here in 1989. I was in the 18-30 bracket then. Planned on a year to get my Thai fluent. It's still not fluent and I'm still here, although it was a bit on and off in the 90s. Amongst other things spent two years in Vientiane back then: very happy times for me too. 

• Like 1

Moved here at 23 years of age, been using it as a 'base' for 13 years while I work. 

If I could go back and re-do it I would not have invested so much time here, and if it wasn't for the China Virus I would be moving back to the USA early 2021. 

Thailand is best taken in small doses or as a tourist. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

After many years in cities -  Bangkok and Khon Kaen, we're planning on moving to the sea. Probably Hua Hin. Came up here for business in 2004 but the air is getting bad. My wife is from outside Bangkok, so not quite sure why we're still here, apart from the kids being settled in school. 

Yes, ah the kids, if we didn't have them, (4), we would be in Phuket.

I like Hua Hin as my wife does, but the air quality isn't that great according to AirVisual which I look at daily, currently Khon Kaen is 67 which is in the moderate range, Hua Hin 76 also in the moderate range, Phuket is 54 so its 4 off being in the good range and is therefore in the moderate, as for Krabi it's 29 in the good range.

I mostly find Phuket and Krabi in the good range daily, and I believe that would be because they are both on the same side as the of the Andaman Sea, with the sea breeze blowing inwards to land, whereas Hua Hin is on the Gulf of Thailand side with the wind blowing towards the sea.

Hua Hin is also close to the Cambodian border and we know Cambodia is notorious for lighting up fires, these are only my assumptions of course, outside of the Cambodia lightin up fires we know is a fact.

So I would research long and hard about Hua Hin as you might be going from the pan into the fire so to speak.

5 hours ago, Trujillo said:

Simon43: 
"Last year I finally moved my base out of Thailand (visa too expensive, no WP for online work, too much immigration reporting, too much xenophobia etc) to north Laos - very content now 
????"

Yet you've posted in the Thailand forum 10,843 times. You must love to hate the place. ...

Hmm, Thailand was my base since 2002, and I only moved away last year.  10,843 posts in (2019-2002) years = 638 posts a year, or less than 2 a day.  Sorry that you think those who no longer live in Thailand should not post in this forum......

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, GarryP said:

19. Arrived in October 1981, and except for a 6 month stay in the UK, have been here ever since. So this coming October it will be 39 years. Any regrets? Sure. Would I have done things differently? Certainly. But hindsight is 20:20. I am happy and healthy and doing okay for myself. I'll retire when I hit 60 in a couple more years and move upcountry. 

And as a citizen, you can buy land upcountry! As a relatively young arrival, do you think your attitude toward Thailand is different than someone arriving later in life?

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

Hmm, Thailand was my base since 2002, and I only moved away last year.  10,843 posts in (2019-2002) years = 638 posts a year, or less than 2 a day.  Sorry that you think those who no longer live in Thailand should not post in this forum......

I have less than 3 posts per day, which is quite high considering the number of holidays I've had :cheesy: 

Edited by Neeranam
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Pravda said:

I moved here at 39, but should have done it at 12

I was 40 when I moved here on a permanent basis but have still managed to maintain my 12 yo mentality.

• Like 1

First visit 1976, started coming regularly (2-3 trips a year) in the late 90s. 

I retired at 53 and would have moved shortly afterwards but for a needy relative who required me to be available for her for many years. My life was on hold for 7-8 years. Finally arrived to live in 2010 at age 62. No plans to leave.

• Like 2

Took early retirement with two UK pensions at 56 to live in the North of Thailand. After almost 20 years, and a third pension (State OAP), I now live in Cambodia due to draconian and bureaucratic Thailand, and the direction the LOS was heading - "military wise"! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1