Puppies

Three of them joining our family in 2-3 weeks. While excited (or as the Mrs. seems to think, annoyingly ecstatic) about it, also came to realize it's been years since I last properly had one.

Born and raised outdoors (MIL's garden), they don't have much indoors experience, which sort of helps my dilemma of them living in/out of house.

My concerns got more to do with things that might pose a hazard for the pups or, other way around, stuff they could damage. I'll appreciate input on whether any of these are "real" issues, and if so, how best to deal with them:

Water pump - never had one before, no idea if dogs go for these or if they freak out. Biting or peeing on electrical stuff seems potentially dangerous. The pump goes in the car park, didn't plan on fencing/enclosing it, but not a big problem to do so if safer.

Small (3m x 6m) but deep waterhole/pond in garden, very steep on 3 sides. Worried they're apt to go for a dip, then try and climb out on the steep slopes. Observed neighbors' dogs having no trouble there, but none were pups. Not sure if a fence would help or potentially make it worse when they inevitably go through. Maybe a low one to begin with?

Wildlife - the occasional snake or monitor visit. Guess can't be helped, just that usually see older dogs in such situations. Puppies? meh.

PVC water pipes - some of our water pipes (1") and valves are still exposed. Again, no idea if these are of interest to young canines, or if they could even damage them. So far, they completely ignore MIL's garden hose.

Main door & back patio screen/net door - grew up in houses where the former were replaced a few times and the latter bearing some scratch marks, until dogs got it. Bars to be added in the future may serve as extra buffer, but resigned to some damages anyway.

Edited by Morch

Put a large concrete brick/block in the "pond" so they can find a way out. 

Paint your blue PVC pipes. Not because of the puppies but to reduce the effect of UV sunlight on the plastic.

Ensure they have a shady spot to relax.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Thanks 1

On 5/12/2020 at 4:16 PM, Arjen said:

Your waterpump I should not worry to much.

Our dogs love to bite on valves on the PVC tubes, they damaged quite a lot.

Your pond can be dangerous. Teach them fast swimming, (I mean short after you have them). And make something they can easy climb out when they drop in your pond.

Snakes we have around our house do not attack our dogs. But some of our dogs attack the snakes. And then a snake defends itself. After loosing three dogs to cobra's we keep the anti-venom ourself in stock. Mostly because most vets do not have it in stock them self. It has a shelf time from around 2 year, a half year for the end of the shelf life time we give it to our vet, and buy a new one. It costs around 2.000 Baht. We keep it together with a sirenge and a needle. The vet explained us how to inject it. We should inject as fast as possible, but just a little bit. In the mean time we must hurry to him. The faster you start with the anti-venom the less problems the dog will have.

I should remove extension leads as fast as possible. They can be dangerous for peeing, and biting dogs.

Further, enjoy your new friends, and do not worry to much.

BE SURE YOU USE SOMETHING AGAINST TICKS. TICKS HERE ARE DEADLY FOR DOGS!

I am a big fan from Bravecto. But Ivermectine works also very good.

Arjen.

Thanks.

Pipes will be mostly covered by the time we bring them in (mainly to protect from heat/sun). We've got some left over piles and fence concrete planks, think I'll use them to make some sort of pier/slide for the slope, should be alright. Never taught dogs to swim, gonna be fun.

As for snakes, we live about 10 minutes drive from the government vet hospital. Not good with needles, more the Mrs. territory so we'll see about having this stuff at home.

We take care of MIL's dogs, so yeah, anti-tick stuff as well, no worries.

On 5/12/2020 at 4:48 PM, Puchaiyank said:

If you have any carpets...throw rugs...may become favorite dumping grounds for young pups... 

Yep, just moving house so a lot of leftovers. Plus, more stuff for them to bite on.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Put a large concrete brick/block in the "pond" so they can find a way out. 

Paint your blue PVC pipes. Not because of the puppies but to reduce the effect of UV sunlight on the plastic.

Ensure they have a shady spot to relax.

Sorted, I think - we have left over piles and concrete fence planks, should do the trick.

There's a bunch of trees and bushes along one end of the plot, and the house itself got a wide enough overhang so shady spots are easy.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Going to use my topic for a puppy related question, but more on the socializing side.

The arrival of the trio will be delayed, as (unsurprisingly, perhaps) Mr. Fence Builder won't finish the job on schedule, and neighbors' dogs maybe a rough bunch for young ones to take on. Bottom line, we'll have them when about 3 month old. Not ideal, but that's how it is.

During the house build, we rented nearby, and along with most other neighbors fell for this sort of communal soi dog who showed up out of nowhere. Soi dog used for lack of other term, she's as clean, healthy and friendly as any family dog. I thought I can't take her along, then turned out everyone thought I would, and supported the notion. Surprisingly, the Mrs. approved.

The recent addition is about 4-5 years old, not aggressive much with other dogs, and as far as I know never got pregnant (one of the neighbors is a vet, and apparently administered regular shots to prevent this). I figure bringing her ahead, the puppies later, and hope no issues. Are there any socialization issues I'm totally missing?

12 hours ago, Donekys said:

Neighbors poisoning your dogs...serious concern in Thailand. I lost two great sogs last month and a third barely survived and is still not back to normal. 

Sorry to hear about your dogs.

So far, unlikely to be an issue for us, as no problems with the few actual "next door" (with a field between us) neighbors. One of the main reasons we're waiting for the fence to be put up is to minimize the chances for such. More worried about local dogs roaming about, kinda good sized (for Thailand) who see our patch as part of their territory.

• 5 weeks later...

1. Make sure that they cannot get out of your garden, especially if there are other dogs in the streets.

2. Of course they should be vaccinated (rabies, etc.), but also give them monthly prophylaxis against heart worms (mosquito borne) and ticks. Both heart worms and tick fever are deadly. 'Nexguard' chewing tablets protect them from both heart worms and intestinal worms. 'Heartguard' works only against heart worms. You can get them in pet supply shops or from the vet.

3. If you intend them to guard your house against unwanted intruders, it is safer for you (and them) to stay indoors at night.

Good luck with the new additions to your family ????

Our dogs are indoors, or out in the garden. We trained them both to use a cat litter tray inside, so no issues at night and both (small dogs) sleep in our bedroom each night. The only destructive thing they tend to do is to destroy Mrs P's attempts to grow herbs, which they then dig up.  It's a great and continuing game for them.  They are a delight.  Enjoy. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

and both (small dogs) sleep in our bedroom each night.

Strange how different people think. Our small dog is NEVER allowed in the bedroom, NEVER.

Do you want something sleeping in your bed which has not wiped it's bum

>?

Edited by stouricks