Can get Thai police check WITHOUT job offer?

A job I recently applied to listed needing to pass a Thai police check in order to be hired. So I thought this might be a good thing to have just in case, for this job or any other I might land. And ESPECIALLY as I had an "incident" with the police a few months back that required seeing a judge and paying a fine. So I'd like to know if that's actually on my record here and how its worded.

Do I need an immediate reason to request a police check in Thailand/BKK?

On 5/13/2020 at 5:38 PM, Max69xl said:

If your case went to court and you got fined,then it will most likely be on record.

Hm, so I better go and get a check. If a job mentions they will need a police check then I should probably avoid applying to that position.

Thanks for the feedback!

On 5/15/2020 at 12:23 PM, allencraig said:

Hm, so I better go and get a check. If a job mentions they will need a police check then I should probably avoid applying to that position.

Thanks for the feedback!

If you got caught with weed, or similar, or you had an accident under the influence of alcohol ( or similar), most schools will not hire you and it will be in your clearance. 

Send me a message why you were caught and had to go to court, I might have a way/solution to get it sorted out. 

It doesn't have to be before the start of a new job, they can ask you for a police clearance whenever they feel like. 

Edited by teacherclaire
Free bats for members of this forum.

On 5/20/2020 at 8:50 PM, teacherclaire said:

If you got caught with weed, or similar, or you had an accident under the influence of alcohol ( or similar), most schools will not hire you and it will be in your clearance. 

Send me a message why you were caught and had to go to court, I might have a way/solution to get it sorted out. 

It doesn't have to be before the start of a new job, they can ask you for a police clearance whenever they feel like. 

It wasn't drug related at all. Pretty stupid actually. And "court" was just driving me from the holding cell across town to stand in front of a judge-like person who was on a video feed from who-knows-where. 4000thb fine and "don't get in any more trouble for a year" warning.

But my fear is that anything—anything—that shows up on a police check will be enough to keep a company or school from hiring me.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/13/2020 at 8:25 AM, BobbyL said:

No you don't need a job offer. You can just go and apply. 

Well, it turns that you there's an important distinction when applying for the clearance certificate WITHOUT a job offer. The certificate says "For XX country only."

So if one doesn't have a job offer in Thailand, they can only get the clearance for another country—as if you were leaving Thailand and needed the clearance to enter or work in the other country.

In my case it's fine as I only wanted to see if there's anything listed on my record, but I couldn't take this certificate and use it to provide a Thai company if they require it to hire me. I'd have to do the process all over again and supply the police with the offer letter from the company here in Thailand.

• 1 month later...
On 6/15/2020 at 5:56 PM, allencraig said:

Well, it turns that you there's an important distinction when applying for the clearance certificate WITHOUT a job offer. The certificate says "For XX country only."

So if one doesn't have a job offer in Thailand, they can only get the clearance for another country

Was this said by someone, or you went to the PCS Center in Bangkok in person and this was confirmed to you?

I walked in years ago, its just the wording they need for the certificate. Being British I asked them to put 'British', not sure if the certificate is the same now but it looked OK.

1.PNG

Edited by sungod

Well, it turns that [...]

So if one doesn't have a job offer in Thailand, they can only get the clearance for another country—

as if you were leaving Thailand and needed the clearance to enter or work in the other country.

Did you request them for one inside Thailand? Did they clearly say it was not possible to get a police clearance for Thailand without a job offer? (Maybe they simply followed standard procedure, thinking you needed the police clearance for something else other than a job in Thailand, for example...)

• 2 weeks later...

I just did my police check at the HQ in BKK. Here's what info I can offer:

Take the BTS to Siam station. Walk along the skybridge as if you're going to centralwOrld. You should see a sign on the first big street you cross over, Henri Durant Rd. That's where you walk down to the police complex, a bunch of buildings surrounded by a wall, like a uni campus. It'll be on the left side of the street as you look down. The first entrance you walk past is the exit, the next one will be the entrance. Walk down this street inside the complex, past security, or you can ask him if you want, for the CRD (Criminal Records Division). Walk about a block past a bunch of offices and marching officers, and you should see the CRD to your right, with a bunch of signs and various people gathered.

Oh, what wonders await you in here. If you're lucky, and get here on a slow day, you could be in and out in 20 mins, as some have told me. But for me, it was packed, and took about an hour and a half. At the door a guy will check your document. Everyone I could see had a letter from their employer. The guy checks all the info they need on it with a pencil. If you want to do this yourself, I'm assuming you ask them for a form to fill out. I'm also basing this assumption on the wording on the fingerprint window as your leave "Results will be mailed to YOU in 15 days". But for everyone I saw there, it's mailed to their employer.

Despite how chaotic it looks, they do a pretty good job of herding everyone around. First the doc check, then a window where you get a form with more info to fill, like mother and father's name, then the payment window, 100 baht, then a queue ticket for the fingerprint room. There were 100 people in front of me for this, but they were moving through them quick. There were easily over 200 people in that room. I saw only one other farang teacher. There was a huge group of Thai govt workers in uniform getting checked, and Thailand Post employees.

There was this one obviously crazy guy, doing high Muay Thai kicks, and trying to go up and speak gibberish to random people, until security had a talk with him. It was pretty dangerous in that crowd. What I want to know is, why wasn't he just thrown out, and why would anyone be running a check on him? He should obviously have a record. Amazing Thailand.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2020 at 9:41 PM, ThLT said:

Did you request them for one inside Thailand? Did they clearly say it was not possible to get a police clearance for Thailand without a job offer? (Maybe they simply followed standard procedure, thinking you needed the police clearance for something else other than a job in Thailand, for example...)

I yes I spent some time going around to different offices at the Police campus/CRD trying to get someone to provide the clearance for Thailand, and everyone at least was consistent in that I couldn't obtain one of those without a job offer in-hand. But they were perfectly happy providing what seems to be the same certificate but that says "for XXX Country Only", which I'm ok with.

On 7/16/2020 at 8:48 PM, sungod said:

I walked in years ago, its just the wording they need for the certificate. Being British I asked them to put 'British', not sure if the certificate is the same now but it looked OK.

1.PNG

Yes, this is how the one I received looks, only for the United States. I haven't offered it to any potential employer yet, but I'm fairly confident that it will be fine.

On 7/16/2020 at 8:21 PM, ThLT said:

Was this said by someone, or you went to the PCS Center in Bangkok in person and this was confirmed to you?

I went around to numerous officials there and they all consistently confirmed this to be their rule. So I applied—and received after a week—the same one, but that says "Only For the United States" on it.