BANGKOK
Captor

3BB versus Ais

41 minutes ago, Rawairat said:

I had 3BB 100Mbs and took the AIS offer for 3BB subscribers to change to AIS 200Mbs + Playbox with a 1 year subscription + a SIM card with 20GBs per month for 1 year. As my 3BB was still on contract I had the 2 running for 6 months. I was told of the contract when I tried to cancel but they did upgrade my 3BB to 200Mbs, the same as AIS.

Data speeds seem much the same, I am in Phuket, but I have had more problems with AIS dropping out over a 6 month period during which the AIS tech changed hardware and rewired cabling outside. On the last visit they changed the router to different brand and that seems to have finally fixed the problems, as it has improved over the last month. My contract with AIS expires in 12 months and at the moment I am leaning back to 3BB, but I will see what is on offer and how my current internet performs.

On the AIS addons, I didn't think much of AIS playbox, some good content but not a Netflix. The SIM card was great worked in the back blocks of Surin during a trip way better than my True SIMs, however when watching Playbox movies it chewed through the Gbs way more than Netflix.

Hi, thank you very much. That is a good comparison you were able to do there. I read on a webpage name "fing" that they both have about the same scoring among people. AIS slightly better in Bkk. I did not look at Phuket. I think that is because of the TV-box which 3bb don't have in a convinient package. Maybe they will in the future. I believe that would gain new customer for them.

1 minute ago, Captor said:

think that is because of the TV-box which 3bb don't have in a convinient package. Maybe they will in the future. I believe that would gain new customer for them.

The "box" should for sure not influence your decision on choice of ISP, because the AIS box is nothing more than a useless piece of junk.

Most of the channels that might be of interest to a foreigner have been removed already, and you can not install third party apps on the box. You can for example not install HBOgo or Netflix or anby apps that provide you free movies or livestream.

12 hours ago, Captor said:

Thank you very much. For now I have no problem since i use the microsoft account in my Outlook in Office professional 2019. The microsoft account look like an exchange set up. It is IMAP I think. The emails remains on the server. I can open up the emails from other computers or phone as well. The changes I am doing in one computer will be visible in the other computers as well. For example answering and then the email will end up in the sent box. The same will happen in the other computers as well. I think the name of that is IMAP. Not sure though. It is perfect for me anyway and works very well so far.

Yes, IMAP is the way to go. The messages are stored on the server and when you send, receive or move a message it's always updated into the correct folder on the server and then synced across all devices that you use. Only issue can be storage but most email accounts have plenty - my businesses do send a lot of large images on our emails and recently we noticed many GBs using our server space so we then simply archived them (any older than 1 year) and backed them up on external hard drives.

37 minutes ago, Susco said:

The "box" should for sure not influence your decision on choice of ISP, because the AIS box is nothing more than a useless piece of junk.

Most of the channels that might be of interest to a foreigner have been removed already, and you can not install third party apps on the box. You can for example not install HBOgo or Netflix or anby apps that provide you free movies or livestream.

I see. Is there any specific box that is good if i will go for 3bb?

3BB over AIS anyday
we had AIS put in, as deal was much better at the time
but connection is awful
now we are waiting for our AIS credit to run down
so we can get 3BB put in come August

4 hours ago, innosiem said:

3BB over AIS anyday
we had AIS put in, as deal was much better at the time
but connection is awful
now we are waiting for our AIS credit to run down
so we can get 3BB put in come August

Auch! That is something I want to avoid! Hence the topic here. Thank you for the info. Are you in BKK?

I used both of them last year. I don't like CGNAT in AIS, though their gaming packages comes with Dynamic IPv4. 3BB always give Dynamic ipv4 for me and they also provide ipv6 connectivity for a year if not more. It is also easier to connect a router of your choice to 3BB. For AIS, you have to ask them because they use a different system.

I'm pretty happy with my 1000/1000 at 3BB but when I move to another house, I'm considering 1000/200 from 3BB + AIS 590 or 690 baht package in a Dual Wan setup. I need more than 1000 Mbps, still waiting for 2Gbps or 2.5 Gbps plans to be available just to satisfy my curiosity (not that I need all that speed!)

3 hours ago, muratremix said:

I used both of them last year. I don't like CGNAT in AIS, though their gaming packages comes with Dynamic IPv4. 3BB always give Dynamic ipv4 for me and they also provide ipv6 connectivity for a year if not more. It is also easier to connect a router of your choice to 3BB. For AIS, you have to ask them because they use a different system.

Ah yes. This reminds me that when I took out AIS they didn't give IPV4 and it was something I had to apply and pay extra for (I use remote CCTV for security monitoring).

Also, I now recall that when the AIS engineer came to install the ISP modem/router I quietly snapped a picture of the jobsheet which showed the required pasword for the connection. This was in case I needed to use my own router - which subsequently I did (I had read on TV that AIS don't give out the password). Not sure if the above currently applies but worth bearing in mind if moving to AIS and wishing to use your own router.

On 5/16/2020 at 12:27 PM, soi3eddie said:

Ah yes. This reminds me that when I took out AIS they didn't give IPV4 and it was something I had to apply and pay extra for (I use remote CCTV for security monitoring).

Also, I now recall that when the AIS engineer came to install the ISP modem/router I quietly snapped a picture of the jobsheet which showed the required pasword for the connection. This was in case I needed to use my own router - which subsequently I did (I had read on TV that AIS don't give out the password). Not sure if the above currently applies but worth bearing in mind if moving to AIS and wishing to use your own router.

What remote CCTV system do you use may I ask? I am getting ready to purchase. Only need 3 or 4 cameras and would prefer to use my own managed server for storage and remote viewing.

On topic, I too use 3BB because of how lenient they are with IPV4 and giving out their modem password, and can attest to AIS also being difficult in past. The only drawback i see to 3BB is small business, I have two contracts with them under my company name and the smallest "business package" they offer is 500mbps(LOL)...I think I pay somewhere around 750b/mo. Whereas a personal account with AIS or 3BB would have me paying only 400-500b/mo for the package required for CCTV viewing.

I have both AIS and 3bb fiber - AIS is 500/300 and 3bb is 1000/500. Honestly, they are both extremely fast and reliable and i can't tell any difference between the 2. AIS is slightly cheaper and comes with 15gb 4g per month and a playbox which i personally never watch. We are paying less than 500 baht because my wife is a long time AIS user, it's an incredible deal for what you get in my opinion. I used to have True and in my experience both AIS and 3bb are far superior. However, as other posters note it is extremely location dependent. I am in Sansai, Chiang Mai.

56 minutes ago, MartinBKK said:

I have both AIS and 3bb fiber - AIS is 500/300 and 3bb is 1000/500. Honestly, they are both extremely fast and reliable and i can't tell any difference between the 2. AIS is slightly cheaper and comes with 15gb 4g per month and a playbox which i personally never watch. We are paying less than 500 baht because my wife is a long time AIS user, it's an incredible deal for what you get in my opinion. I used to have True and in my experience both AIS and 3bb are far superior. However, as other posters note it is extremely location dependent. I am in Sansai, Chiang Mai.

Hi MartinBKK, thanks for answering,

Yes I have got the feeling that they are quite similar but both better than True. Just yesterday actually True called my wife in BKK and said that they will upgrade from 200/200 to 300/300. So for now I think we will wait and see if that will help our Skype problem. If not, then it has to be AIS for now because wife and daughter are not so technical. I think we need to do some more settings with 3bb. However, when I move to Thailand in a couple of years it will be 3bb. If not things changes significant until then between the internet providers.

On 5/20/2020 at 2:09 PM, MangoPineappleBanana said:

What remote CCTV system do you use may I ask? I am getting ready to purchase. Only need 3 or 4 cameras and would prefer to use my own managed server for storage and remote viewing.

In the UK I use a Synology NAS which has surveillance station for managing lots of cameras. I used to use that for CCTV and it was highly configurable with alerts, storage, emails etc. Here in Bangkok I just have an internal WiFi CCTV camera in my main living room. It monitors the whole room and entrance way and it takes and emails snapshots should anything move in the frame. It's unlikely ayone would ever break in as doors are secure, on 5th floor, keycard access and we have security 24/7 (if they are not sleeping). Just gives me peace of mind when not there. I can also pan it remotely to see the patio too. The model is Wansview Pro HD PTZ IP Camera NCM625GA

Seems AIS needs to tighten up their security protocols.

https://techcrunch.com/2020/05/24/thai-billions-internet-records-leak/

47 minutes ago, i84teen said:

Seems AIS needs to tighten up their security protocols.

https://techcrunch.com/2020/05/24/thai-billions-internet-records-leak/

Wow! Thanks. I have now enabled DNS over HTTPS. But we are still using True since they increased the speed to 300/300. Look like working better now. And when I settle don´t in Thailand I will use 3bb.