When is the LAST TIME you saw a Firefly Flying in Chiang Mai? I spotted one, just one, two minutes ago. It's been years; I thought my eyes were playing tricks.

JohnBarleycorn

Years ago, when I first arrived in Chiang Mai, I was surprised to see that Chiang Mai did have a few fireflies.  Not in great numbers, but still quite a few.

During the past several years, I have not seen even one.

Then, this evening, just a moment ago, I did see one, but only one.

Has anyone else remarked on the fact that the firefly of Chiang Mai is probably a dying breed?

To me, this state of affairs is quite saddening.

All children love fireflies.

Even I like fireflies.

Where did they all go?

Do you think they will return?

Have you seen even one this year?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, naboo said:

Loads of them about still. You just need to leave the concrete jungle and head to the traditional jungle.

Good to hear!

These days, we all suffer from a dearth of glad tidings, it seems.

Maybe next year, when hopefully the virus is a thing of the past, then I will go looking, someplace far from the concrete jungle.

• Like 1

Saw them in Chiang Dao with a Thai friend from Hang Dong who said he had never seen them before. There is a certain tree that grows by the waterside that they are associated with, at least in Southern Thailand.

I saw one in Hangdong area about a month ago. Before that I saw a single one sometime last year.

To me they are much larger here than what I recall playing with as a kid back in the good ole USA countryside. Mind you, 'playing' is a a nice word for the cruel things we used to do with them.

12 hours ago, male expat said:

I was traveling. from Bagan to Yangon by train 2 years ago. 100.000s of fire flies.  Never seen some thing like that.

My memorable moment was as a teenager out squirrel hunting with my dad, we witnessed the migration of the Monarch butterfly........  totally amazing!

7 hours ago, MrBrad said:

In an astounding photo by pepe_soho which is like something of Monet, or Van Gaugh’s Starry Night came to life, this is a firefly sanctuary on the wooded mountains of Nanacamilpa in Tlaxcala, Mexico.

Nanacamilpa in Tlaxcala, Mexico firefly.jpg

Definitely Monet.

By the way, Monet also painted some amazing paintings of boats and harbors, as I recall.

1. Van Gogh

2. Monet

According to my order of preference.

Edited by JohnBarleycorn

18 hours ago, MrBrad said:

In an astounding photo by pepe_soho which is like something of Monet, or Van Gaugh’s Starry Night came to life, this is a firefly sanctuary on the wooded mountains of Nanacamilpa in Tlaxcala, Mexico.

Nanacamilpa in Tlaxcala, Mexico firefly.jpg

Stunning.

same place vv

8947161cc5d5cc2f0f6ddcfe93139bd5.jpg

• Like 1

Saw a few probably the same time last year from my balcony in the nice grassy area with trees but this year they cut the trees & started construction of a huge mooban so bye bye fireflies. Yup CM city not far from golf club/race course area ????

Saw a few again last month down south out in the rubber plantations/forests. Amazing creatures hope they all survive the covid ????