PHUKET XTRA: VIDEO: Tourist tax coming? ’Rolling lockdown’ for Phuket? || May 12

webfact

PHUKET XTRA - May 12 || brought to you by PVCPhuket.com New tourist tax discussed |:| ’Rolling lockdowns’ for Phuket? |:| Only 2 COVID cases in Thailand today |:| Phuket coronavirus field hospitals to close ’temporarily’ Hosted by: JP Mestanza || #Phuket

By Jean-Pierre Mestanza

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-05-13

Looks like the way out of this, is simple. Just tax the tourist brave enough to venture into the country. Then once you're are in the country, trying to enjoy your holiday, you can be repeatedly taxed again during your travels, by the local police. I think the memo is already out, and in effect as we speak. Hit the tourist as often as they can with penalties of any sort, to bring in revenue. I was pulled over yesterday for having the foot pegs extended for the passenger on the motorcycle. Cost 500 bht fine. Others in my party were given tickets for their international drivers licenses, police claim not valid, not in Thai language, not understand. Now that the Thai's have many foreigners stating we tourist should know how to speak the local language, that we are at fault when we visit services designed for foreigners, yet we can't communicate with them for we don't speak the local language. Officials are now trying to promote that we should also have docs translated into Thai upon arrival, as we can't expect the local officials to understand international documents. Cost 1000 bht fine. As a fair well gift...police instructed the guests, "if you not like, go back home, we don't care". I had to assure the people in my party, not to worry, it's not personal, many foreigners are now singing the same song that was once told to them, upon other foreigners. So it's not an isolated statement anymore, it's now wide spread, as a humorous statements of sorts. Just ignore it, and make sure to not come back.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ajarnmarc said:

Looks like the way out of this, is simple. Just tax the tourist brave enough to venture into the country. Then once you're are in the country, trying to enjoy your holiday, you can be repeatedly taxed again during your travels, by the local police. I think the memo is already out, and in effect as we speak. Hit the tourist as often as they can with penalties of any sort, to bring in revenue. I was pulled over yesterday for having the foot pegs extended for the passenger on the motorcycle. Cost 500 bht fine. Others in my party were given tickets for their international drivers licenses, police claim not valid, not in Thai language, not understand. Now that the Thai's have many foreigners stating we tourist should know how to speak the local language, that we are at fault when we visit services designed for foreigners, yet we can't communicate with them for we don't speak the local language. Officials are now trying to promote that we should also have docs translated into Thai upon arrival, as we can't expect the local officials to understand international documents. Cost 1000 bht fine. As a fair well gift...police instructed the guests, "if you not like, go back home, we don't care". I had to assure the people in my party, not to worry, it's not personal, many foreigners are now singing the same song that was once told to them, upon other foreigners. So it's not an isolated statement anymore, it's now wide spread, as a humorous statements of sorts. Just ignore it, and make sure to not come back.

If this could be proven, and i do not doubt it it should be forwarded to The PM office for comment and the reply posted here