Coronavirus stats: Latest numbers on COVID-19 cases among foreigners in Thailand

webfact

Coronavirus stats: Latest numbers on COVID-19 cases among foreigners in Thailand

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAi4sKouHSr41eclK5xFv8sZpsJ8sHCrsqnehBk7U.jpg

Thai PBS has reported on the number of infections from COVID-19 amongst foreigners in Thailand.

In total 335 foreigners have been infected with COVID-19 in Thailand. The first case was that of a Chinese national on 12 Jan, while the most recent from the data available concerned 3 Rohingya and 2 Burmese nationals in Songkhla province.

Thai PBS reported on data up to 7 May.

Burmese nationals accounted for the highest number of cases regarding foreigners, perhaps unsurprising given the large number of migrant workers in Thailand.

According to Thai PBS, the top 5 foreign nationalities with the highest number of infections in Thailand are:

Myanmar: 56 cases

China: 35 cases

France: 28

United Kingdom: 24

Rohingya: 20

The gender of the forieign patients is divided into: 228 males and 107 females 

Regarding the ages of foreign patients, those aged 30 to 39 and 20 to 29 account for the highest number of cases.

0-9 years: 9 people

10-19 years: 20 people

20-29: 78 people

30-39: 81 people

40-49: 55 people

50-59: 41 people

60-69: 32 people

Age not specified: 5 people

Regarding the regions where foreigners were infected:

Northern region 1 province: 5 people

Central region, 5 provinces: 169 people

Northeast, 2 provinces: 3 people

Western region, 3 provinces 11 people

Eastern region, 2 provinces 19 people

Southern region, 5 provinces, 117 people

Not specified - 11 people

As of Tuesday, (12 May) Thailand has reported a total to 3,017 cases and 56 deaths since the outbreak started in January.

The five provinces which have the most reported cases are Bangkok, Phuket, Nonthaburi, Yala, and Samut Prakan, respectively.

The majority of recent cases are from southern Thailand, including a cluster at an immigration detention centre in Songkhla province, officials said on Tuesday.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-05-13

8 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Age profile is strange. Must be mostly in Bangkok, which would make sense as most of the labs that have the necessary reagents for testing are there.

Wouldn't quite of few of these be foreign workers " Myanmar, Rohingya" and I'm sure some migrant workers from neighbouring countries?

I didn't see any stats mentioned about any deaths.  With no mention of this, I wonder if the number of deaths is zero?

Interesting that 'Rohingya' are noted as a nationality.  Maybe Thai PBS could inform them of the country to which they belong!  Very curious that there are no Cambodians or Lao given their numbers in the Thai migrant worker population. I'm sure that there will be many unknowns about COVID infections for a wide range of issues - from testing to people treating their illness at home.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Parkender said:

Of the 56 reported Covid-19 deaths in Thailand to date, seven are foreign nationals from Switzerland, Russia, India, USA, France, Malaysia and Australia respectively.

Thanks.  I must have overlooked that in the OP as I didn't see this stat.  However now I recall some of these from earlier reports.

1 hour ago, steelepulse said:

Wouldn't quite of few of these be foreign workers " Myanmar, Rohingya" and I'm sure some migrant workers from neighbouring countries?

I didn't see any stats mentioned about any deaths.  With no mention of this, I wonder if the number of deaths is zero?

I am sure the banglideshi' muslims are pleased that thailand aknowledges the Rohinghas as foreign nationals. Someone should tell Aung San Sui.

Soon it will be Narathiwat, Yala, Satun and Pattani foreign nationals. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, steelepulse said:

No. There was a death or two.

I recall 1 French national. 

7 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

So very little white "farang" are infected, mostly asian "farang" infected. 

This is a little off topic and I'm surprised no one else has spoken, but you should know:

Only white foreigners are "farang".  Even if a black person is from Europe (even France) or Canada, they are not farang. People from Asia are Asians. People from Vietnam, China, South Koream etc can be called Asian, but Oriental is more correct.  If people are from outside Thailand, they are all foreigners, but only us white folk get tagged with "farang".  (BTW, AOC is a farang in Thailand, because she's got white skin). ???????? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

This is a little off topic and I'm surprised no one else has spoken, but you should know:

Only white foreigners are "farang".  Even if a black person is from Europe (even France) or Canada, they are not farang. People from Asia are Asians. People from Vietnam, China, South Koream etc can be called Asian, but Oriental is more correct.  If people are from outside Thailand, they are all foreigners, but only us white folk get tagged with "farang".  (BTW, AOC is a farang in Thailand, because she's got white skin). ???????? 

I've often heard black people referred to as "dam farang".

This is a world wide problem and is going to get a lot worse prior to getting better. Buckle up folks, the effects of this virus socially, economically and physically are still in its infancy. The following is article from one of the worlds top virus scientists..

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/coronavirus/covid-19-expert-coronavirus-will-rage-until-it-infects-everybody-it-possibly-can/ar-BB13YNI0

6 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

A list like that in the OP would trigger a storm of public outrage in western countries. And rightfully so.

That was my first thought. I've seen other countries differentiate between new 'home grown' and imported infections but not publish them as a statistic as to who is currently infected.

6 hours ago, SkyFax said:

asian2.thumb.jpg.b31b23efc940871da8ebebfe52954775.jpg

That list is simply a division of the amount of deaths per ethnic group - and all could be US citizens.  That is not the same as reporting infections by differentiating between nationals and foreigners.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

A list like that in the OP would trigger a storm of public outrage in western countries. And rightfully so. 

As long as there's data and it's consistently labeled I don't care if they classify us as untouchables. Being PC stands in the way of getting into analysis.

5 hours ago, KMartinHandyman said:

Coast is clear in Issan. Only 3 foreigner cases. Even covid-19 can barely survive up here.

We've only had one case in Muaeng Sakon Nakhon, that being a Thai returnee from Phuket. We'll soon be on the 'White list'. ????

8 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Could it be because a large proportion of Thais (especially those at the very top of society) are inherently xenophobic and racist, I wonder.

NYC does. Thailand reports foerigners infected, so how can that be compared to western countries counting "asians". And identifying the race involved is important, as some races, for whatever reason, are more susceptible to infection. 

44 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

We've only had one case in Muaeng Sakon Nakhon, that being a Thai returnee from Phuket. We'll soon be on the 'White list'. ????

...and some said there they weren't being tracked. Yes they are. Plenty of health volunteers are on the job. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

That was my first thought. I've seen other countries differentiate between new 'home grown' and imported infections but not publish them as a statistic as to who is currently infected.

The more information the better, even if it's not published in the mainstream media. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, webfact said:

In total 335 foreigners have been infected with COVID-19 in Thailand. The first case was that of a Chinese national on 12 Jan

Another blessing from Chinese tourism.  I wonder about the brouha if it had been a westerner?

• Like 1

On 5/14/2020 at 5:37 AM, lamyai3 said:

IMG_20200514_053553.jpg

On 5/13/2020 at 4:30 PM, chickenslegs said:

I've often heard black people referred to as "dam farang".

Really?? I played and lived in the Sukhumvit/Silom area for five plus years before moving out to Pathum Thani. I've never heard the term.  Was it Thai people using it or a falang/farang?

This is off topic, so please PM me with your responses and rebuttals.

Edited by AgMech Cowboy

7 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

Really?? I played and lived in the Sukhumvit/Silom area for five plus years before moving out to Pathum Thani. I've never heard the term.  Was it Thai people using it or a falang/farang?

I was just playing on words, but in relation to post #16, it's very commonly used by Thais, usually descriptively rather than with any inherent racism. "See dam/dum" is the colour black so "farang dam" or "khon dam" is black farang or person. Similarly khon kaek is used for people from the Middle East etc, sometimes in a derogatory way. Other Asian people are khon Cheen, Yeepun etc. People who complain about the word farang being racist often fail to appreciate the term is quite high in the pecking order. 

There is prejudice against darker skins here (in common with India and many other countries), but it's mostly reserved for fellow Thais. In the 20th century in the West, a good suntan meant you could afford a foreign holiday and was perceived as an indicator of good wealth and good health, but in earlier times it meant you were out toiling in the fields all day and low on the social stratum. This is much how it works here, and any such views that continue to pervade in Asian countries probably have their roots in colonialism.