Are government schools in Thailand required by law to pay foreign teachers' salaries in May 2020?

Hello all,

I hope everyone is in good health at this unfortunate time. There's a lot of uncertainty and pain, although there's also time for reflection, which is good.

I was hoping that someone on Thai Visa might have some accurate information about government schools being required to pay teachers' salaries for the month of May. If you could provide any English-language sources in the form of a website, that would be brilliant.

Cheers

I know some Filipino teachers, they've been on a long holiday and can't fly back to Bangkok , their school just told them no salaries until they arrive back in June if there are any flights.   It's really a horrible situation for them. 

There is a lot of variation in how this is being handled.   I know one school paid 1/2 of the salary to any employee who was out of the country, but had a bank account in Thailand.   They will get the other 1/2 when they actually return.   The school also allowed them to have another employee pick the salary up for them, but they had to contact the coordinator and it had to be in writing (email was OK).  

The contract goes through April, so most would be entitled to the April pay regardless of being in the country or not.  

• Like 1

"There is a lot of variation in how this is being handled.   I know one school paid 1/2 of the salary to any employee who was out of the country, but had a bank account in Thailand.   They will get the other 1/2 when they actually return.   The school also allowed them to have another employee pick the salary up for them, but they had to contact the coordinator and it had to be in writing (email was OK).  

The contract goes through April, so most would be entitled to the April pay regardless of being in the country or not."

Was that a government school, Scott?

I imagine that there are variances according to one's contract and what an individual school chooses to do. Ultimately, I'd like to find out what, if any, policy has been instituted by the government, as these are government schools. I'll keep looking and report anything I find.

Thanks for your replies, everyone.

On 5/14/2020 at 6:35 AM, Clear Sky said:

"There is a lot of variation in how this is being handled.   I know one school paid 1/2 of the salary to any employee who was out of the country, but had a bank account in Thailand.   They will get the other 1/2 when they actually return.   The school also allowed them to have another employee pick the salary up for them, but they had to contact the coordinator and it had to be in writing (email was OK).  

The contract goes through April, so most would be entitled to the April pay regardless of being in the country or not."

Was that a government school, Scott?

I imagine that there are variances according to one's contract and what an individual school chooses to do. Ultimately, I'd like to find out what, if any, policy has been instituted by the government, as these are government schools. I'll keep looking and report anything I find.

Thanks for your replies, everyone.

Foreign teachers are not Government employees. They are hired and paid by the school directly. Any Government initiative to pay their teachers for the time spent at home during this crisis will not cover foreign teachers. Much the same as it will not cover Thai teachers hired in the same circumstances.

On 5/15/2020 at 9:57 PM, puchooay said:

Foreign teachers are not Government employees. They are hired and paid by the school directly.

are you sure about that?

I thought the government paid a monthly allowance per foreign teacher, which go's towards their wage

2 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

are you sure about that?

I thought the government paid a monthly allowance per foreign teacher, which go's towards their wage

Quite sure, yes. The school may well get a budget but the teachers are paid from the school and are hired by the school. Government teachers are paid by the government.

Simply look at the health care system. Government teachers belong to a system that covers all family. Direct hire teachers need to join the national Social Security scheme and only themselves are covered.

Edited by puchooay