Pattaya to Nong Bua Lamphu

SidJames

Missus wants to drive up to see her family in Nong Bua Lamphu but is worried about police checkpoints because of the restrictions now in place.

I told her to tell them that she has to visit her mother as she's unwell & old plus only drive outside of curfew times.

I don't know why she's so paranoid but it's doing her head in which has not improved her temper.

Has anyone driven this route recently & able to shed light on how regular the checkpoints actually are & if there actually are any?

I could do with a break from the nagging.

Will your wife drive herself (alone)?

She feels well, no symptoms, fever?

All that they do at checkpoints if any is the usual temperature check.

It doesn't hurt if she has some proof of her mother living in NBL (assuming your wife also is from there).

Only concern: she might be approached by village headman to stay in quarantine.

But not sure that this will happen in her case m(NBL). Foreigner to the village might raise concern.

We had Thai people coming here (western part of Khon Kaen) from Rayong and Bangkok for a funeral.

All that happened was temperature check and "visual inspection" by village health volunteers.

Funeral over, people gone.

Travel within Khon Kaen province up to NBL (and on to Udon) is trouble free.

Experienced by me and a mate (zero checkpoints). I plan to go to Udon tomorrow.

What route does she want to use?

Through Chaiyaphum to Chumphae and then up north on #228 to NBL?

Edited by KhunBENQ

Can’t help with regards to road checks “. If the missus worried about her family would simply suggest using the phone ! Certainly quicker and you wouldn’t have to worry about breaking any curfews difficult times for everybody,. 

After talking to my wife about the visitors that have been here:

first thing to do is getting in contact with village headman or tambon (subdistrict administration) and find out whether they have procedures in place for visitors.

Is the mother fit enough to go and ask?

The missus is as fit as a butcher's dog & so is her mother.

She goes with a local taxi fella who lives up that way & then loads up his pick up truck for the return journey with all sorts of weird foodstuffs not readily available down here.

She has an irrational hatred (maybe it's quite rational considering) hatred of the BiB seeing them as robbers & thieves to a man so does anything to avoid them.

On 5/13/2020 at 2:06 PM, SidJames said:

She goes with a local taxi fella who lives up that way & then loads up his pick up truck for the return journey with all sorts of weird foodstuffs not readily available down here.

I did the return trip to Udon Thani today.

From western part of Khon Kaen through NBL to Udon Thani.

ZERO checkpoints (well one unmanned).

Traffic in Udon not much different from normal.

Her plan sounds feasible.